2014 Accord Sport SQ Build keep_hope_alive

Great thread. Thanks for sharing.

On your ceiling roof pictures, it looks like you used just squares of sound deadening material (raammat). You didn't cover the whole panels, just sections. Is that your recommendation and why?

Also looks like the foil product over the whole rook is the ensolite?

Great thread. Thanks for sharing.On your ceiling roof pictures, it looks like you used just squares of sound deadening material (raammat). You didn't cover the whole panels, just sections. Is that your recommendation and why?

Also looks like the foil product over the whole rook is the ensolite?
thanks for the interest.

Correct, I just added a few squares of BXT II to lower resonance. Once the panels stopped ringing, I stopped adding deadener. From there, I used two ultratouch insulation products to make the roof truly dead.

This is what I stuffed in all cavities along roof rails and pillars and trunk lid and quarter panels and floor cavities

UltraTouch 16 in. x 48 in. Denim Insulation Multi-Purpose Roll (6-Pack)-60306-16482 - The Home Depot

i actually bought a larger R-13 bag at Home Depot, same as this: Quiet Batt 30 Soundproofing Insulation - Soundproof Cow

This is the foil-covered product

UltraTouch 48 in. x 24 ft. Radiant Barrier-30000-11424 - The Home Depot

a video of me knocking on panels after the treatments shown, note how acoustically dead the roof is.

Nice job on the deadening and thanks for the home depot links. I haven't done the head liner yet but I need to. I also did not do the fenders. Did that make a big difference for you?

thank you for the complements. There are many installers that are better than i am and my ideas are meant to inspire and for others to take to the next level.
i'll let you know when we get some SQ shows going.
you are my new hero wow NO WORDS

The car is a joy to listen to. My HU remote allows for fast access to presets on the H800.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

a01a9ce400f906149f097c897c8abdac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mlv is DB3 available at Home Depot (free shipping)dB-3 4 ft. x 8 ft. Acoustical Barrier-DB348X96BX at The Home Depot

CCF sheets are Ensolite from Raamaudio

Ensolite IUO Peel and Stick --- 1 yard (13.875 sq ft) - RAAMaudio Inc.

Deadener is Rammaudio BXT II

yellow stuff (seen in build log inside doors) is compressed fiberglass from ceiling tiles ($6 for a 2'x4' piece) that is wrapped in 1mil plastic sheeting (painters drop cloth). adding sound absorption to the door is vital to a great system (CCF doesn't absorb sound effectively)
This is fantastic build log. Much of it over my head but I need to pick it up quickly. My Corolla is slightly smaller than your Accord. I have speakers in the front doors. I'd like to invest some time and material into, at least, the front door.

Can you aid me with a ballpark figure of how much cld, mlv, and ccf I'll need? Looks like two sheets of ceiling tile should be enough for the front doors. If there are any other installing bits necessary for the job, I'm all ears. Thank you.

This is fantastic build log. Much of it over my head but I need to pick it up quickly. My Corolla is slightly smaller than your Accord. I have speakers in the front doors. I'd like to invest some time and material into, at least, the front door.
Can you aid me with a ballpark figure of how much cld, mlv, and ccf I'll need? Looks like two sheets of ceiling tile should be enough for the front doors. If there are any other installing bits necessary for the job, I'm all ears. Thank you.
assume you want enough CLD to cover 25%-50% of the door surfaces. simple math would be to measure the length and height of one door. that is the area needed for 25% of both doors, inner and outer skin. double it for 50% coverage. you can use more if you want.

MLV will be one layer per door, so using the same area measurement as before, the area of each door. one of the dB3 rolls is sufficient for both doors.

CCF will be twice the needed MLV amount if you want to put a layer on the metal and over the MLV. you can use the Ensolite with PSA or any foam sheeting with a spray adhesive. having the peel-and-stick adhesive makes the job cleaner and easier.

plan on extra so you can treat the rear deck also.

So if my doors measure 3ft X 2.25FT and I'm doing all 4 doors I'm at about 6.75ft^2 per door, 27ft^2 total. So those numbers are key, they are how much Deadener I will use and how much MLV I will use. Double that up for CCF to 54ft^2, correct?

So, I need:

Deadener: 27ft^2. A bulk pack

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HHP59G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

MLV: 27ft^2. 2 rolls of the same MLV you used (my measurements are oversized to add contingency)

4 ft. x 8 ft. Acoustical Barrier-DB348X96BX - The Home Depot

CCF: 54ft^2. I don't have this yet so I want to make sure I know how much to get. It looks like 4 sheets?

Ensolite IUO Peel and Stick --- 1 yard (13.875 sq ft) - RAAMaudio Inc.

So now onto my roof and floor. My roof measures 4ft X 6ft and 24ft^2 and I double that for my floor too. 48ft^2. You didn't look to use much deadener in your pics on the roof so I say half of the ft^2 will be used. But do you also put up MLV? and if so do you use the CCF to hold it again? and how much? Same questions for the floor. anyways, if you do use MLV and CCF is this about right?

Deadener: 24ft^2 Another Bulk pack

MLV: 48ft^2 4 rools

CCF : 48ft^2 (I did the same as the MLV because I couldn't imagine having to go over the entire roof and floor with this.) about 4 sheets

Radiant Barrier: 48ft^2. I'll need a rool of this.

UltraTouch 48 in. x 24 ft. Radiant Barrier-30000-11424 - The Home Depot

As I said before, my measurements are over sided and leave quite a bit of contingency. I should have enough deadener to do my trunk real well. and I'll be picking up that denim insulation from Menards. Do you cover the holes you fill with the insulation or do you just but the panels back over it?

i didn't add MLV to the roof. just stuffing the cavities, a few squares of deadener, and the radiant barrier was more than enough. my YouTube channel has a video of me knocking on it - it's shockingly dead.

i don't consider the roof to be a dominant noise source (the glass is), but if you did add MLV you would need to pin it to the roof supports. be SUPER careful here so you don't go through into the roof. i'd consider zip ties through the holes in the supports to prevent using any fasteners.

i didn't cover the holes filled. you can if you want. the results will be different. if left open, they are excellent sound absorbers. if covered, they reduce the internal volume of the car and boost noise isolation. you can cover with MLV or deadener, or any other limp mass.

another friend documented his implementation of my door treatment process here:

Front Door Build Log: Improve the Sound Quality - Drive Accord Honda Forums

also took the time to foam these plastic pieces that help form the carpet. they press against metal and i imagine they will make noise in time.
driver's side before

AccordSpeakerWiring013.jpg

both done

AccordSpeakerWiring015.jpg

passenger side

AccordSpeakerWiring021.jpg
What foam did you use? Is it the same foam used for the speakers? and where can I find it?

Thanks!

I added deadener, foam, and MLV to the flooring - huge improvement in road noise

starting

Screenshot_2016-05-04-17-23-47.png

cavities stuffed with cotton sound insulation

20160501_104921.jpg

Raammat BXT II added on the floor

20160501_104843.jpg

CCF glued to the floor (decoupler for MLV)

20160501_112309.jpg

20160501_113751.jpg

MLV applied with gorilla tape on seams

20160501_202631.jpg

wires secured with tie mounts (glued on)

20160504_225408.jpg

reassembled

20160505_022831.jpg

20160505_022841.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...