15" L7 sealed - can it get loud?

plugger
10+ year member

i just got two 15" L7s off a trade. no way im fitting a ported box in my trunk for them they take like 5 cubes each for ported so i dont know if i wanna build a sealed box and try it out or just sell them or something. for comparison would the 2 15s be much louder sealed than a 15" AQ hdc3 ported box built to spec both setups runninig off 1200 or 1500 watts rms in the trunk of my car which dosent have fold down seats

I modeled the Sundown SA15 and 2002 Kicker S15L7 in ideal sealed alignments (.707 QTC) and with your power requirements (1500 watts RMS), the 2002 Kicker S15L7 will have greater SPL (+8db more) between 30 - 55hz.

In a sealed alignment the Sundown SA's aren't that efficient. Ported is a completely different story.

To the folks recommending the sealed SA-15's what was your reasoning for the recommendation?

I modeled the Sundown SA15 and 2002 Kicker S15L7 in ideal sealed alignments (.707 QTC) and with your power requirements (1500 watts RMS), the 2002 Kicker S15L7 will have greater SPL (+8db more) between 30 - 55hz.
In a sealed alignment the Sundown SA's aren't that efficient. Ported is a completely different story.

To the folks recommending the sealed SA-15's what was your reasoning for the recommendation?
They dont have one... Its called being a Nut Hugger and thinking Sundown is the answer for every install no matter what the requirements... Its pretty funny cuz an L7 would probably kick an SA's ass in output if done right..

myn, you said you modeled this sub sealed, I was going to give 1500 watts to TWO 15s as the ones i have are rated for 750 watts rms. and thats just on paper you modeled it? i wanna know if it will give me what im looking for. couple years ago i had two 15" mb quart premiums sealed and it sounded awesome, but there recomended for sealed... the L7s look beefier than those subs so wouldnt it be better?

myn, you said you modeled this sub sealed, I was going to give 1500 watts to TWO 15s as the ones i have are rated for 750 watts rms. and thats just on paper you modeled it? i wanna know if it will give me what im looking for. couple years ago i had two 15" mb quart premiums sealed and it sounded awesome, but there recomended for sealed... the L7s look beefier than those subs so wouldnt it be better?
They will be louder but probably arent going to sound as great but thats user subjective... Youlll probably need at least 2.5 or so each Id bet...

They dont have one... Its called being a Nut Hugger and thinking Sundown is the answer for every install no matter what the requirements... Its pretty funny cuz an L7 would probably kick an SA's ass in output if done right..
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/ohsnap.gif.17c4c91be09a7a4a3995fb7145adac39.gif

L7's do get loud, they just tend not to last very long from my experience.

They will be louder but probably arent going to sound as great but thats user subjective... Youlll probably need at least 2.5 or so each Id bet...

^-- What he just said.

In the right enclosure and install L7's can win IASCA SQ world championships. Just ask Gary Biggs and Mark Eldridge (2005 champs). Granted they are pros and had ridiculous resources from kicker at their disposal..

I ran 2 2002 Kicker S10l7s ported tuned to 35hz and they sounded okay and got pretty loud off 1500 watts. They didn't sound any better then my previous installs (12" IDQv2, Phoenix Gold Titanium 12s) though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.