AGU fuse underhood blown during test tone-normal?

Participant count
  • Participant list

knokinnakamichi
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I searched and hadn't really seen anything regarding this specifically on this forum. So, I thought I would ask after researching a bit. Today, doing a test tone at 50hz my sub was fine set the gains accordingly, turn'd volume down. I wanted to play a bit so I put on a 70hz and began to turn up my volume...subs stopped...looked at amp-no power...checked underhood blown AGU 60. I have read multiple places to just get an ANL fuse, but I already have the AGU fuse holder that came with my 4 gauge kit so I just bought another AUG 60. Haven't had time to day to plug and play. ANYWAY, is this just from the constant 70hz from the test tone...OR do I have an underlying issue?? (I have a PA-2004 and two 10' subs at 4 ohms through 4 channels)

I imagine you guys are gonna say something along the lines of if the new fuse blows, check my ground, and buy a DMM and get readings on everything(borrowed one my O'Reilly's guy to set gains); but just curious if you think it was just the sub test?

Im gonna throw this out there and say your probably pulling more than 60a and thats why its blowing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

You fuse the wire for what it can handle man. 4 gauge can handle more than 60a. 4 gauge is rated at 140a as long as its true 4 gauge.

Put a 140 under the hood.

Im gonna throw this out there and say your probably pulling more than 60a and thats why its blowing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
You fuse the wire for what it can handle man. 4 gauge can handle more than 60a. 4 gauge is rated at 140a as long as its true 4 gauge.

Put a 140 under the hood.
Not sure you will be able to find a 140.....Try a 100-150

Not sure you will be able to find a 140.....Try a 100-150
This is true.....a 125 should be sufficient.....anything around 140 but I wouldnt go over what the wires rated for.

I searched and hadn't really seen anything regarding this specifically on this forum. So, I thought I would ask after researching a bit. Today, doing a test tone at 50hz my sub was fine set the gains accordingly, turn'd volume down. I wanted to play a bit so I put on a 70hz and began to turn up my volume...subs stopped...looked at amp-no power...checked underhood blown AGU 60. I have read multiple places to just get an ANL fuse, but I already have the AGU fuse holder that came with my 4 gauge kit so I just bought another AUG 60. Haven't had time to day to plug and play. ANYWAY, is this just from the constant 70hz from the test tone...OR do I have an underlying issue?? (I have a PA-2004 and two 10' subs at 4 ohms through 4 channels)
I imagine you guys are gonna say something along the lines of if the new fuse blows, check my ground, and buy a DMM and get readings on everything(borrowed one my O'Reilly's guy to set gains); but just curious if you think it was just the sub test?
Anything more than a 100/120 (if you can find a 120) You will need an ANL/Highly recommended,and I wouldnt go any bigger than a 150.Yet,try a 100 first..$6-8 bucks on Ebay

What happens if you fuse say 200a to 4gauge? (Haven't done it just wondered why not to go over)
That wire will get pretty hot, and melt the plastic coating off of the wire, and possibly cause the vehicle to catch fire before the fuse blows!!

What happens if you fuse say 200a to 4gauge? (Haven't done it just wondered why not to go over)
The fuse is there to protect the wire, and your life, not the equipment. So if too much current goes through the wire, it will get too hot, and eventually melt through the jacket and light fire. So the fuse is there to blow and stop current flow when there's too much current for the wire to handle.

And @ OP, there is nothing normal about a fuse blowing. Though, in your case, it just sounds like you have way too small of a fuse.

The fuse is there to protect the wire, and your life, not the equipment. So if too much current goes through the wire, it will get too hot, and eventually melt through the jacket and light fire. So the fuse is there to blow and stop current flow when there's too much current for the wire to handle. And @ OP, there is nothing normal about a fuse blowing. Though, in your case, it just sounds like you have way too small of a fuse.
I meant normal or common occurrence that they blow at a 70hz test tone after running a 50hz test?

I meant normal or common occurrence that they blow at a 70hz test tone after running a 50hz test?
Again, there's nothing normal about a fuse blowing. I know at a higher frequency, an amplifier is able to make more power, so it was likely drawing more current. But I wouldn't say the issue is you were playing too high of a frequency, it's just that the fuse is too small. Which is better than it being too big at least!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.