1 18 vs 2 12s

Participant count
  • Participant list

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
So currently I have a DC XL 18 m2 w/ PSI softies. But I'm debating trading to 2 12s. I have 2 possible offers.

2 sundown SA 12s dual 4s or 2 Memphis Mojo M3(Orange M Baskets) 12s dual 2s.

Now the problem with the 18 is space. I can build a box and it will work but don't fill it will be that great but I can build a much better box for 12s.

Not sure which sub to go with but assume the Mojos will be louder but the SA is more efficient and get loud with less power.

I can wire the Mojos to .5 and get alittle more power or wire the SAs to 1 ohm.

BOX wise I can build for each...

What do you guys think?

Fyi 1 18 is alot more cone area..
Space requirements for the box to be good is really questionable on the 18.

Also it's not the big a difference. 254 inch for a 18 and 226 inch for a pair of 12s

If you want the ts parameters for it. I'll send you my analizer.
I mean really either way I need at least 5 cubes at the least and that makes it hard for me to double baffle Grace etc for it.

5 cubes is tiny for an 18. Id do 2 12s in that case but both those options imo are a down grade..
I mean either will be unless I do a cpiliar wall lol which I'm not. Also I thought the older Mojos were good subs?.

Enclosure is also key. A great enclosure and good presentation with decent subs will out shine strong subs in a not so good enclosure and poor presentation.

I think I can make the SAs pretty loud. I have plenty of power for them and can really put some work into the enclosure. Idk much about Mojos I just know they were good subs. Strong motors and coils

5 cubes is tiny for an 18. Id do 2 12s in that case but both those options imo are a down grade..
I would rather have the Orange mojos honestly. They are getting harder to find. And they have good motors on them.

I would rather have the Orange mojos honestly. They are getting harder to find. And they have good motors on them.
Not sure which lineup is which with Memphis, but the few installs in my area using Memphis are pretty impressive.

I'd be looking at a single 15 if I only had 5 cube net.

Honestly all things equal the difference either way shouldn't be too dramatic. If your amp supports .5 ohm you'd likely gain more just from lowering impedance than you'll gain from the fact of they're different subs.

Didn't you just get that XL? How do you like it compared to what you traded? Why are you looking to get rid of it?

IMO might as well start planning a wall because my gut tells me you won't be happy with anything you will do in the cargo area below the glass.

Mojo just have little 220oz motor. They are decent for store brand woofers. But two SA 12s will get louder on your power but u can buy some for like $225 used for 2 12s..

That dc 18 u have should be worth $300 so I wouldn't trade it for the SAs because they only worth like $225

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.