Want a Higher reading: DID 151.2 db

I done a 151.2 with my current set-up in signature this past weekend. System is in a larger suv, but same set-up with the Kicker zx2500.1 did 153.+ in a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Sounds just as loud but obviously not. The meter was a Audio Control SPL meter, so not sure how accurate my reading was...

I got an offer on the subs, and thinking of replacing them with the Alpine Type S or Type R's... Either should be a significant upgrade vs the Kickers. I think the R's are around $30 more per sub (getting 8), but it's not a problem. Type R's are rated at 300-1000 rms and Type S at 500 rms.

I plan to wire them at 1ohm, and get two separate amps to push 4/4.

If I choose to go with the type r, and put them on same amp as the type s, any idea about how much sound difference would be in decibels? I know enclosure and set-up makes a great deal in difference, but I mean just a round about guestimate .

Should I just go big and do type R's for $130ish each? Type S for $95ish? Or, am I overlooking another company who makes good subs for around the same price?

Any and all input appreciated!

Look at soundqubed hdc 2s 600 watts and 85ish 12s
**** yo! Spartanburg in the House!!! I had to drive all the way to Spartanburg from Anderson this weekend before the show, because ANDERSON/GREENVILLE/EASLEY/CLEMSON/PICKENS/GREER ALL **** WITH CAR AUDIO!!! No one even had 1/0 by the foot. Kits only, and only 3 shops in 60 miles had those. Masters' car stereo was the only one with 0 gauge battery lugs/rings!!! That's insane!!! This area ***** for anyone looking to install a system 1500 watts or more. I think I'm going to open up a real shop near Greenville, and just hire some installers because this area needs it BAD!!!

I will look into the Soundqubeds, but was looking to stay at (8) ten inch subs. Price really doesn't matter. What I didn't want to do though, was pay $200 for each ten inch sub lol. I'm not that serious lol

This may be a far reaching suggestion, but find eight SoundStream T5 10's - they were fantastic to me and overall probably my favorite subs for loud daily. Got to a 150.1 at the dash with four a few yrs back. They took a beating as well.

This may be a far reaching suggestion, but find eight SoundStream T5 10's - they were fantastic to me and overall probably my favorite subs for loud daily. Got to a 150.1 at the dash with four a few yrs back. They took a beating as well.
Appreciate you sharing. Will look into them for sure!

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Also, are people making suggestions over the alpines because they are not that good of an spl subwoofer? Or?

Appreciate you sharing. Will look into them for sure! 

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Also, are people making suggestions over the alpines because they are not that good of an spl subwoofer? Or?
They're definitely not a bad budget woofer, but more can be had on the SPL side of things for a similar price. I've seen a single Type R do a 150, though, so anything's possible.

They're definitely not a bad budget woofer, but more can be had on the SPL side of things for a similar price. I've seen a single Type R 12 do a 150, though, so anything's possible.
Ok cool, I'll keep that in mind. I just use the suv for hauling my toys, dogs, or anything else I can't fit into the cars, so budget is up my alley. Also, in the jeep, the box had to lay down at an angle, and the sound waves would bounce off of the back glass and roll forward. In the new suv, it's cargo area is big enough for the box to stand up, so I believe the sound waves are traveling lower, and getting caught up at the back seat? Maybe that's why they didn't get around the 153 range this time? Here are some pix:

New set up:

Ok cool, I'll keep that in mind. I just use the suv for hauling my toys, dogs, or anything else I can't fit into the cars, so budget is up my alley. Also, in the jeep, the box had to lay down at an angle, and the sound waves would bounce off of the back glass and roll forward. In the new suv, it's cargo area is big enough for the box to stand up, so I believe the sound waves are traveling lower, and getting caught up at the back seat? Maybe that's why they didn't get around the 153 range this time?
It's something to keep in mind, but also to take with a grain of salt. That was in a case of extreme SPL purposes, and was more than likely, in no way, musical. When it comes to score chasing, the one word you have to remember is testing.

you should try laying the box all the way down like a 'no wall' setup. it could be louder. or maybe not...
Yeah, I forgot all about the extra room lol. And you're right, different angles, and box positions matter when going for louder sound or higher readings. How do you feel about them facing forward towards driver? Common or not so much? 

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

It's something to keep in mind, but also to take with a grain of salt. That was in a case of extreme SPL purposes, and was more than likely, in no way, musical. When it comes to score chasing, the one word you have to remember is testing.
Agreed! Very wise words!

I think you would need to create a complete baffle for the front if you wanted to fire it forward, so it would be more like a real wall. Also, subs up, port(s) back would probably be louder than your current subs/ports up situation. four 6" aeroports rear firing in a new box with those same woofers could be cheaper than a whole new equipment/build and yield better #'s.

Yeah either fire forward, or lay that down or push it forward, or push it 3/4 of the way closer to the back of the vehicle, let it load of the hatch some.. Any of those 3 will be louder than what you have I'd bet.. Even if it somehow meters less (**** happens) I'd bet to the ear they will be louder.

I think you would need to create a complete baffle for the front if you wanted to fire it forward, so it would be more like a real wall. Also, subs up, port(s) back would probably be louder than your current subs/ports up situation. four 6" aeroports rear firing in a new box with those same woofers could be cheaper than a whole new equipment/build and yield better #'s.
Man I wish I had the specs on that box. The guy who built it was out of Georgia, and has passed away. He was older, but really knew his stuff. I wish I could show the internal port(s) design. The box was made smaller, because it was going to be a tight fit in the Jeep, but with the Caddy, I could put two of those boxes back there, lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.