Ehhh... BIG THREE help please!

Dirtrider4eva
10+ year member

√\_The CaUsE__
Use a multimeter to see which wire has power or just follow the ends to see where they lead to. Some cars are hard to see what goes where. It was simple on my Chevelle but a nightmare on my MR2.

Yeah, some cars can be more of a pain than others. Picture 3 of 5 above does not even have the alternator in it. The alt is the round-bodied device with cooling vents all around (just in case there was confusion).

In picture 5, the wire is under a plastic covering to prevent short circuits. There is also a ground wire on the left in picture 1, but that is not likely the main ground. The power line coming out of the alternator on my Bronco is only about an 8ga line. That's tiny compared to the stock battery cables even! And those are tiny compared to the 1/0.

Good luck.

the + from alt will normaly be the largest of the wires, i have seen them in black which is confusing.. normally it will be the only one help on by a nut just jump it from there over to your batter with a 0gauge wire. you can leave the stock wire there to make it easier for you, i have the big 3 done on my explorer, but the stock stock is there also. 1 day you might wanna remove it to sell or somthing eles, this will make that day easier for ya.

alt.jpg

ground to your engine block if you can. remove a bolt and attach a ground wire using an O-ring terminal.

The last pic. see that wire thats covered up with a rubber/plastic housing cap? most likely thats your positive to your battery.

Use a multimeter to help you make sure it is.

put red lead on the wire under the cap and black wire on neg battery.

With the engine running you should read 12-14 volts

Alright. need a multimeter. Ill go buy one tonight.

As for where the positive i see the clip. The negative no clue

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Alright. need a multimeter. Ill go buy one tonight.

As for where the positive i see the clip. The negative no clue

Most alternators do not have a designated NEG on them. They are grounded to the block when you bolt them down. Find a convenient CLEAN spot on the block or accessories and ground there. You can use an alternator bolt if it makes your wire run easier.

Alternator is grounded by where it mounts. Only has one positive connection, in the bottom pic the wire that has the plastic shield on it. Just pop that cover off with a small pick or pocket screwdriver, should be a 10mm nut securing the wire. Hope this helps

Alternator is grounded by where it mounts. Only has one positive connection, in the bottom pic the wire that has the plastic shield on it. Just pop that cover off with a small pick or pocket screwdriver, should be a 10mm nut securing the wire. Hope this helps

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.