eDead UE, my thoughts...

SS Rep Jon
10+ year member

Rep
Idaho
After hearing about Elemental Designs new eDead UE I wanted to find out if it truly was what they are claiming it to be (120 mils thick with a 5 mil aluminum layer with a 1 mil mylar top layer). Here are my findings:

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

First impression is that this stuff looks like a fairly good product. Shiny, rubbery, no offensive smell, everything you would want in a sound deadening mat! But when you start to actually compare it to Damplifier or Damplifier Pro, you quickly see the differences...

5 mil aluminum with 1 mil mylar... right...

I started off by taking a 1 sq. ft. piece off of one of the four 5 foot pieces I ordered and throwing it on my scale.

edeadue01.jpg

Kinda flimsy... but whatever.

edeadue02.jpg

15 ounces per sq. ft., not bad.

Cutting through it was like cutting through butter, no drag on my knife from the butyl rubber and I had no problem puncturing the 6 mil total thickness of the aluminum/mylar combo. You might see that as a good thing, but I see this as something completely wrong! No drag on my knife means that there isn't much adhesion strength, because if any of you have ever used Damplifier or Damplifier Pro you know how it has a tendency to stop your blade from gliding along because the butyl mix just grabs on and wont let go. And the easily punctured 6 mil aluminum/mylar combo just isn't as thick as the aluminum layer of Damplifier Pro (I'll be posting thickness measurements within the next few days).

So far not too impressed with it... on to temp testing.

TEMP TESTING:

To start out with the heat test I cut out a 3" x 3" piece of each Damplifier Pro and UE.

edeadue04.jpg

Eyeball thickness comparison. UE on top, Damp Pro on bottom. I will post actual measurements later.

Then I went out and got a piece of scrap sheet-metal, cleaned it with some acetone and stuck them both to it and headed outside.

edeadue05.jpg

Getting real scientific now...

First test was quite simple, simulating exhaust heat (kinda) by hitting the back of each product with a 1 minute blast of the heat gun 4" away @ 1200°F. Both came out well, but the UE did start to slip a bit...

edeadue06.jpg

Hard to see, but it started to slide.

edeadue07.jpg

Who would have guessed, unfazed!

Then off to the oven it went. Nothing too extreme, 200°F for 30 minutes then bumping it up to 400°F for 10 minutes.

edeadue08.jpg

Starting off at 200°F.

edeadue09.jpg

Final results after the whopping 40 minute experiment...

Again, the UE started to slide a bit more. I think I will do what Don did on the Sound Deadener Showdown and gradually turn the heat up over a longer period of time and see how it fairs.

And then for the test that nobody saw coming, direct heat!

I gave each one a three second warm up before I shoved the flame directly on it for a period of five seconds.

edeadue10.jpg

The UE lit up really fast, stupid mylar...

edeadue11.jpg

Damplifier Pro held it's own quite well, no flames, just a bit of smoke.

I then quickly peeled the foil up from each one to see how the butyl mix was doing.

edeadue12.jpg

The UE butyl was really runny and melty, like string cheese. The Damp Pro butyl well, was still stuck on the sheet-metal like nothing even happened and wasn't the least bit runny.

Another observation is that once it had completely cooled down the UE butyl turned into super hard, not sticky, rubber while the Damplifier Pro was still the same sticky butyl mix I started with.

edeadue13.jpg

I will be doing more heat tests with the UE stuff to see where it's limit is and at what temperature it decides to become not sticky hard rubber...

More to come!

GETTING TECHNICAL:

To get an accurate measurement of the aluminum facing (mylar/aluminum combo on the UE) I decided to dissolve the butyl off of both the products.

moreedead01.jpg

1" x 1" square of both eDead's UE and Second Skin's Damplifier Pro

moreedead02.jpg

The two products placed in a specially marked dish

How do you remove the rubber you ask? You reach for the old rusty, crusty can of turpentine!

moreedead03.jpg

Can you still buy this stuff?!

moreedead04.jpg

Poured enough in the dish just to cover the two pieces and waited. After ten minutes passed I decided to pull them out and check on how well it was dissolving, this is what I saw.

moreedead05.jpg

ICK!

eDead's UE (the sample on the left) was MUCH MUCH softer and had dissolved more then the Damplifier Pro (sample on the right). Also notice the difference in texture and color, very interesting...

moreedead06.jpg

eDead's UE on the right, Second Skin's Damplifier Pro on the left

I put them back in to soak some more and after another 15 minutes eDead's UE was completely dissolved, while the Damplifier Pro was being stubborn as hell and hadn't changed... ::dry:: So after an hour and still no real change I decided to start scraping it off (what a mess that was!) until finally both were nice and clean.

moreedead07.jpg

Ta-da!

Thickness of the facing? Here are the results...

moreedead08.jpg

^ - eDead UE - ^

moreedead09.jpg

^ - SS Damp Pro - ^

I got a consistent 4 mils on the UE, no matter where I measured it. But I did get 6.5 mils about 40% of the time I measured the Damp Pro.

None of the above is or was sponsored by anybody! I spent my own time and money to do everything.

And of course any and all comments are welcome, that's what forums are for!

I hope you all enjoyed the read,

Froot Loops

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Thanks, FrootLoops.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Thanks, Ant.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif Thanks, eD. $3.50 a square.

Wow! I'm actually surprised (once again) that I wasn't greeted with name calling and profanity being thrown my way for doing what I did. Really appreciate it!

I know my testing isn't 100% scientific or anything, but I think this shows real world results fairly well.

Awesome job but holy crap you have way too much time on your hands.
Sure seems that way, but like I said I wanted to see exactly what people are getting for $3.50 a sq. ft. and more or less all you are getting is really thick roof flashing.

Very great test. Thanks for the reviews. Can you buy any chance test some raamat? I want to see how raamat does against them.
I thought about that, but I would have to spend more $$$ (about $120 + shipping). So I think I am going to leave Raammat alone, at least until I can perfect these tests. Maybe Don from the Sound Deadener Showdown will run all of these through a new battery of tests before I get around to doing it.

Now off to getting rid of the 19 sq. ft. of UE I'm stuck with... I think I should have ordered a WHOLE lot less... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Great tests....I found that edead and fatmat are almost identical myself in a recent install of fatmat in my jeep. I also found out that its a bad idea to re-attach any fallen deadening material with liquid nails //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I sure hope ben chokes on this test, like his products .... *oops did i say that out loud?*

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.