Yukon sub/amp upgrade

Participant count
  • Participant list

Krave

I'm an alcoholic, It's ok
Tomorrow I will say farewell to my DD-615's and KAC-9106D and say "hey" to my new SA-15's and SCV-2000D. I am beyond excited, but I am worried my huge horn ported box (built for DD 15's) won't sound decent with the Sundowns. I have CSSTANG on standby though, in case I need a design and cut sheet. Never sold anything here, so I think I will just sell them locally on CL for total package of $400.

will post a pic of the new, but for now here is the old:

1529752_10206213318193101_3078049762797980762_o.jpg

Tomorrow I will say farewell to my DD-615's and KAC-9106D and say "hey" to my new SA-15's and SCV-2000D. I am beyond excited, but I am worried my huge horn ported box (built for DD 15's) won't sound decent with the Sundowns. I have CSSTANG on standby though, in case I need a design and cut sheet. Never sold anything here, so I think I will just sell them locally on CL for total package of $400.
will post a pic of the new, but for now here is the old:

1529752_10206213318193101_3078049762797980762_o.jpg
I may've just kept the dd's.. is that kenwood amp strong enough to push them I almost bought 1 last week and peeps talked me out of it..

Yeah, my dealer (sounds bad to call him that) and I talked about better to have more power on deck than needed than not enough!
Yup most definitely, Those SA"s get down for sure. Impressive subs, you'll love them on 2k.

I'm curious how they do in the horn enclosure, keep us updated. I'd imagine at the power level you are at now, they should do very well regardless and the SA's are pretty lenient to a wide variety of enclosures so I'm sure you are in for some big gains when you get this going

I may've just kept the dd's.. is that kenwood amp strong enough to push them I almost bought 1 last week and peeps talked me out of it..
The KAC-9106D is perfect for the 600 series DD's (I have it running at 2 ohms so in theory it should be 500 to each sub, whether it is or not, it is a perfect match for these things). Bad *** little amp. As far as keeping the DDs, I want more and as far as sticking to DD, price to performance compared to Sundown, it was no contest to go with SA's instead of 2515 DDs. (just checked DDs website, they don't even make the 2515 anymore?).

Yup most definitely, Those SA"s get down for sure. Impressive subs, you'll love them on 2k.I'm curious how they do in the horn enclosure, keep us updated. I'd imagine at the power level you are at now, they should do very well regardless and the SA's are pretty lenient to a wide variety of enclosures so I'm sure you are in for some big gains when you get this going
I will. My biggest worry is a horn box in general isn't widely used like the one I have and I haven't seen any SA's used in such a box as mine. But if it doesn't sound decent, CSSTANG can design it and I can build it. I am also teetering on picking up TERMPRO software just to play around with building boxes, but a $250 price tag is a hard pill to swallow for someone who doesn't do this for money (not to mention I have to hide that purchase from the wife).

I will. My biggest worry is a horn box in general isn't widely used like the one I have and I haven't seen any SA's used in such a box as mine. But if it doesn't sound decent, CSSTANG can design it and I can build it. I am also teetering on picking up TERMPRO software just to play around with building boxes, but a $250 price tag is a hard pill to swallow for someone who doesn't do this for money (not to mention I have to hide that purchase from the wife).
Ive not used the termpro software for enclosures. Does it 3d model and show a cut sheet?

How long have you had the current set up? Chances are, you've probably throwed and tested everything you can/could think of and used to it by now. Once a new change happens, it's gonna sound different.

Ive not used the termpro software for enclosures. Does it 3d model and show a cut sheet?
From what I have read, it has the best 3d modeling software built in (you can even design the port in 3d), it does give you blue prints for the cut sheet. The argument seems to be between who is better, termpro or bass box pro 6.

How long have you had the current set up? Chances are, you've probably throwed and tested everything you can/could think of and used to it by now. Once a new change happens, it's gonna sound different.
2015, not long after I joined this site lol. And yes, this setup has reached its peak and it is time for a change. Back in the day, you would keep your amp for the longest and subs for a lot longer than we do now, but technology advances so **** fast now, everything reaches its shelf life a lot faster for each person than it should. I remember my Punch XLCs lasting me twice as long as these DDs, I would just build a new box and be done with it, now I need to buy new subs, build a new box and install a more powerful amp, install more batteries for the new amp, all because subs have gotten so power hungry/non energy efficient than they used to be and unlike cars, their MPG gets worse with each better model......

2015, not long after I joined this site lol. And yes, this setup has reached its peak and it is time for a change. Back in the day, you would keep your amp for the longest and subs for a lot longer than we do now, but technology advances so **** fast now, everything reaches its shelf life a lot faster for each person than it should. I remember my Punch XLCs lasting me twice as long as these DDs, I would just build a new box and be done with it, now I need to buy new subs, build a new box and install a more powerful amp, install more batteries for the new amp, all because subs have gotten so power hungry/non energy efficient than they used to be and unlike cars, their MPG gets worse with each better model......
Gotcha. Try 8 years for having the same subs lol. Only because I was working 2 jobs so wasn't able to switch mine out for some bigger/better ones. Not that the older RE stuff is bad but it was time for a change.

The KAC-9106D is perfect for the 600 series DD's (I have it running at 2 ohms so in theory it should be 500 to each sub, whether it is or not, it is a perfect match for these things). Bad *** little amp. As far as keeping the DDs, I want more and as far as sticking to DD, price to performance compared to Sundown, it was no contest to go with SA's instead of 2515 DDs. (just checked DDs website, they don't even make the 2515 anymore?).
I maybe upset if u sell that 9106 cheap on here.. peeps said it only did like 600 @ 2 ohm only 4ohm rating was true.. if it did like 800 it woulda been fine for me..

ive never seen a low frequency horn that small..

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Now the break in period begins. After break in I have to do the big three and extra battery (knew it):
20170519_165743_zpsx3pzf5pm.jpg

20170519_165637_zps4fcis6dc.jpg
get an alternator

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.