Best sub for about 2.85 to 3 cubic feet

Participant count
  • Participant list

dustbytes

So I have a friend with a 2011 mustang that wants the best sub possible for 2.85 to 3 cubic feet of box.

Right now he has an alpine type r in a 2.1 cubic foot vented box tuned to around 36hz. He loves the way it sounds but just wants louder. He told me that he is willing to spend whatever it takes to get a sound similar to the type r in that box but just louder.

I have been out of the car audio game for quite a few years now so I am not sure what subs are decent anymore. The type r he is using is my old SWR 1243D. So its the older type r. He is leaning towards a sundown audio 12. I haven't had the time to sit down and start running numbers so I thought I would drop a post here and see what everyone thought.

He is going to be running stock electrical so keep that in mind too.

sundown sa 12 is pretty nice option.. I assume u mean ported box which is what I'd do.. should be able to do a 2.2 cf ad box after subtracting port with 3cf total.. if u want a little cheaper sundown E good..

The max dimensions only allow for about a total of 3 to 3.1 cubic feet total internal volume. Since it's a mustang with a tiny trunk opening the box will be somewhere around 8" tall in the back, 17.5" tall in the front, 17.5" deep and about 29.5 " wide. That is the largest box I have been able to fit in there that is not a total pain to put in or take out. He has said that money is not an option so any sub/amp combo will work for him. The only thing that is an issue is the size of the box.

Since he currently likes the way it sounds but just wants it louder (was only like 125db when put to a mic), I assume a ported box is what he will want. How much of a difference do you think the sa 12 will be to what he has now assuming he will buy whatever amp is needed to drive that sub whether it be a 750rms or 1k plus like I see some people recommend?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.