Wow Orion Nice job.

Custom board, custom casing. I know they are cheaper then dealer cost. I said a proprietary will cost more and it does.

Don't start with me. I'm not getting into another all night **** feast with you over dumb ****.

Just a question, do most 1 ohm stable amps see their efficiency drop as much as this Orion does at that load?

If not, then something has to be wrong on the power supply side.

Just a question, do most 1 ohm stable amps see their efficiency drop as much as this Orion does at that load? If not, then something has to be wrong on the power supply side.
On a resistive load, yes its pretty normal. people are just too used to seeing clamped current draw

So I took a look inside the case of mine today. Build quality is acceptable. Only the daughter board in the input section showed anything that I took exception to, and that was just some excess solder on the tiny SMT components. Nothing we haven't seen before in these foreign builds. The caps in the power supply section are not the highest quality but they're fine. The larger caps are of better quality and I've seen them used in all types of monster monoblocks out there. The output and power supply devices are all TO-247 package N-channel Hexfets made by International Rectifier. There are 6 devices in the power supply and 6 devices in the output section. The ones in the power supply are rated for 55volts and 95amps. Those found in the output section are rated for 517watts and 70amps. Spec sheets on each device, below. I don't build my own amplifiers but with what I do understand about amplifiers, I would tend to agree with the assessment that this is not exactly overbuilt. Rather it is riding close to the limits with sustained use(abuse) at 1 ohm loads. But remain responsible with the volume knob or ride at a slightly higher ohm load and you really should be fine.

IRFP1405 PDF Datasheet - International Rectifier - Datasheets360.com

http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/irfp4868pbf.pdf?fileId=5546d462533600a40153562c9c822023

Last edited by a moderator:
I would tend to agree with the assessment that this is not exactly overbuilt. Rather it is riding close to the limits with sustained use(abuse) at 1 ohm loads.
this was the initial thought i had by looking at the pcb after reviewing the test vid, and i dont know much about electronic architecture.

with a clean output signal, i dont foresee 1 ohm nominal load being an extreme issue. theoretically, it may be possible to assemble an alignment with an applicable imp. rise to combat being overdriven. i may need to purchase one just to have and tinker with in the future.

What are the specific transistors used? im gonna guess fairchild but im courious. What caps are used?

Excellent dynamics.

Well i was wrong. They are decent. Guess we will find out. How does it sound?

Custom board, custom casing. I know they are cheaper then dealer cost. I said a proprietary will cost more and it does. Don't start with me. I'm not getting into another all night **** feast with you over dumb ****.
Who you deal with? Im courious because i want to know if im getting a good price..

It's funny when this thread started the XTR2500.1d was available quit a few places,, but nine pages later, the only one i can find online is from ,,, Online Car Stereo for $440 double yeks

Im not a amp desiginer but tge rise fall time is high on those output transistors. Being a sub amp its probably fine. Id like to see dampening factor and slee rate measurments. Probably not great but you arent buy a sq sub amp like arc or zapco.

What the output filters look like?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.