Wow Orion Nice job.

a processor really does work magic in a way just a magnificent install with even vehicle mods cant replicate.

I heard a world finalist car with both super tuned processor, vehicle mods, and elite drivers and amps. It was beyond this world.

There was a guy with just an old school eclipse SQ deck with very lmited processing, just quality internals. and some high dollar german mb quarts and luxman amps. clarity was fine, soundstage was sort of there due to mids and tweets in the A pillar however with no proper processing, it did not come anywhere close to the car that got 3rd place with cheapo vifa xt 25s and silverflutes with an a PPI processor and a cheap ppi 900.4 amp. Thats probably the prime example i can think of old school vs new school and what modern technology can do nowadays vs old dinosaur equipment. the old school car didnt place

how did this thread go from new school orion to sound quality.... new school orion has no place in SQ lmao.
I'm laughing at that as well, lol. Good way to spend a moment or two away from work, though.

The new orion mono amp and its pros and cons...then some bastards started talking about what type of imaging it takes to win a meca sq title

The new orion mono amp and its pros and cons...then some bastards started talking about what type of imaging it takes to win a meca sq title
lmao
I'm just glad some of you guys are still around to talk to. Site is dying.

well, we all know what really killed caco, but we started an official facebook page. i still try to help newbies when i can over there, but looking through some of the audio pages on facebook gives me the inclination to throw myself into an alkaline chemical fire.

ca.com didnt capitulate to the same fate, thank god, but both forums have their advantages and disadvantages whether it be the members, sales, or information. facebook is better for personal dealings and niche collecting as it tends to make things much easier to communicate and weed out scammers without a screen name to hide behind.

big d's oss page is definitely full of awesome and he is constantly posting easily viewable testing vids. his venture into the new school gear is rather enlightening, but he is still an audio nut.

fyi, i started an audio guts page for public viewing with the intent of adding everything i can find around the net and ganking ampguts of alot of pics, some of which i provided, yet cannot access without a dollar sign attached to it.

Guys, look at the numbers and current pull on this Orion amp. As it approaches a 1 ohm load efficiency takes a nose dive and current draw skyrockets. That's an incredibly inefficient power supply in that amp. Even though it's class D, it acts a lot like an old school class A/B...x10!

Unregulated amps will continue to make more power with the more current you send them. Kinda like the old school Orion amps.

Tightly regulated amps (like old school PPI's) continue to make their rated power (maybe 10% more) even as voltages drops. This was more critical back in the day when the stock charging systems on many cars were limited by pathetic 50 amp alternators and weak batteries.

This Orion is about as unregulated as I've ever seen. I can't imagine the power supply is rugged enough to take a lot of repeated abuse. I bet the thing makes some heat too.

Sorry, just had to jump in with a old school perspective. Carry on.

Guys, look at the numbers and current pull on this Orion amp. As it approaches a 1 ohm load efficiency takes a nose dive and current draw skyrockets. That's an incredibly inefficient power supply in that amp. Even though it's class D, it acts a lot like an old school class A/B...x10! Unregulated amps will continue to make more power with the more current you send them. Kinda like the old school Orion amps.

Tightly regulated amps (like old school PPI's) continue to make their rated power (maybe 10% more) even as voltages drops. This was more critical back in the day when the stock charging systems on many cars were limited by pathetic 50 amp alternators and weak batteries.

This Orion is about as unregulated as I've ever seen. I can't imagine the power supply is rugged enough to take a lot of repeated abuse. I bet the thing makes some heat too.

Sorry, just had to jump in with a old school perspective. Carry on.
Hard to disagree with that. The build/size versus heat generated should suggest usage revolving around the 2ohm mark.

ahhh, but what amp always operates at a steady 1 ohm load?

accounting for imp. rise, the short answer is none.

might be that the new owner wanted something capable of lasting with the abuse the ignorant (whom i might add, do not care about, let alone know about efficiency) put equipment through nowadays. they should change the name of the 'i just wanna bang' f/b page to 'i just wanna blow my shit up' with some of the asinine crap i see.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.