Wiring from Alternator to battery

McA

CarAudio.com Newbie
mo
Hello, I am wondering if it is alright to leave the stock wiring connected to the alternator when wiring up a bigger wire to the h/o alternator. Is electricity "smart" enough to run most of the power through the thicker cable while only running a little bit through the smaller default wiring.

My second question is, if I were to remove the stock wiring , the run from the alternator to the battery, does it ever power things before reaching the battery? What are some complications I can expect if I choose to disconnect this run. It's a complex run to trace.

Thanks

I just added my big 3 wires on top of the stock ones. My stock power wire branches into way too many places for me to be tracing down 😅

That was almost 2 years ago now and I've had zero issues.

The current goes through the path of least resistance. More power can go through a larger cable with less resistance, and less current will have the same resistance going through a smaller cable. If you were to make the larger cable longer, then that would create more resistance, and more current would go through the smaller cable.

I never remove the stock wires, they stay connected as they are in a normal car I drive. The stock wires were routed as intended and ran the car just fine, and I'd rather have that security knowing they are still there. I add my bigger wires over them / more direct run from alt to battery, extra grounds, etc.

Leaving the stock wiring alone minimizes chance for future issues, secondly, adds to the current carrying capacity. I prefer the stereo system wiring separate from what the car came with to operate / drive as intended, it's fused separately, and really no worries doing this.

I've also seen some folks horrific wiring / connector installation abilities, and I would not want them to remove the OEM wiring and install their badly crimped or soldered terminals, or even the set screw type. I'd bet if everybody removed OEM power cable and installed their own, you'd see a lot of cars with no start, charging, melted wires / connectors, or other electrical issues.

Having said that, I vote to leave the stock wiring installed and connected.

Just my opinion / take on it.

The current goes through the path of least resistance. More power can go through a larger cable with less resistance, and less current will have the same resistance going through a smaller cable. If you were to make the larger cable longer, then that would create more resistance, and more current would go through the smaller cable.
What the ****? Are you trying to put ohm's law into very complicated verbiage?

What the ****? Are you trying to put ohm's law into very complicated verbiage?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...