Wiring a home theatre Sub to a car stereo system

Participant count
  • Participant list

djsamomol

Kenya
Hi,

Im new to this, Ill try n be as elaborate as possible.

Car Radio - Kenwood f-MD7 (has 4x45w + amp out RCAs)

Car Speakers - Pioneer (4 speakers of 45W each)

Home theatre sub - Cambridge (the sub itself just reads 12V DC...it has an EXTERNAL power adapter that reads Output: 12v DC, 1.5A...it has a 3.5mm audio jack input but i have an RCA to JACK cable so in terms of audio connection/wiring we are good)

Now to my question

Is it possible to hook this up to my car, im more concerned about the electrical wiring...

1.) do i wire it electrically? in parallel to the radio? or how do cigarrate lighter port?

2.) how much current is produced by the car system and is the current produced by the car going to affect the sub in a negative way? (considering the 1.5A indicated on the adaptor)

3.) Considering my sub is a home DC system, it has 2 wires, and the car system has 3 (a yellow wire - for 12v source, a blue wire-turn on wire(power control) and a black wire - for earth) I know the yellow is definately a must, but will i use the blue for remote turn on (so as to not drain my battery wen radio/keys are off) or should i just hook it to the black earth wire?

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

You would need a power inverter.

However, I fail to see where this would be ideal. Simply purchasing the right equipment, even if it's cheap, will have a better overall result.

You would need a power inverter.
However, I fail to see where this would be ideal. Simply purchasing the right equipment, even if it's cheap, will have a better overall result.
im of the understanding the car battery draws 12v dc if im not wrong...do i still need an inverter yet the sub accepts 12V dc?

Hello, how big is the sub speaker? The lions' share (thinly veiled Kenya reference) of home subs are AC 100/120/240v.

Even with the Cambridge power brick, I would be a little worried-I doubt if Cambridge engineers envisioned a mobile application.

If that's all you have to work with, bypass/unhook the Cambridge built in sub amp from the sub speaker driver and wire the sub speaker driver to your 12v sub amp/speaker output.

Jambo-Chuck

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.