wiring 2 amps but i have a few questions!!

88mustanggt
10+ year member

Hey Guys Im trying to wire one amp to my subs. and another to my 4 speakers.

I plan to run a phoenix gold 1200.1 to two Rockford Fosgate hx2 dual VC 4 ohm subs. And then wire a Hifonics Txi 4406 to a pair of Infinity Kappa 60.7cs components, and a pair of Infinity 692.7cf coaxials. My question is would i use one 1/0 guage power wire from the battery to the hatch of my car and then use a splitter to split it into two 4 guage wires to go to each amp. The Hifonics will only take up to 4 guage but i think the Phoenix gold might even take 1/0 guage. Would splitting it to two 4 guage limit the power the PG amp is getting and not let my subs reach full power? Also i was wondering if i should rerun new speaker wire in my car in order to upgrade to 4 guage but a friend of mine said its worthless cause ill run new speaker wire from the amp.. what do you guys think.

and one last question when wiring a set of speakers with xovers how exactly to you go about that..do you go from amp to xover and then it splits the frequencies or what..sorry guys im new to this and any help would be great!

The 1/0 gauge to a 4 gauge distro block is your best bet. Just have the 1/0 run as close to the amps as possible so you only have a few feet of 4 gauge wire. If the PG does accept 1/0 gauge wire, you could get a distro block that would split the wire to 1/0 ga for that amp, and 4 ga for the other.

As far as running your comps, you have it right. amp to x-over to midbass/tweeter.

honestly 1/0 awg is not nessesary it wount make a difference the only time i would recomend 1/0 whne u have 4 amps 4 batt ect. but if you want to you can do it . the right way to go is 4 awg run it to the batt then from the batt to dist. block then used 8 awg 2 pieces from the dist block to the amp (this is what i do when i do systems) next run rca from an eq to a x over not a cheap 1 plz cuz is gogin to b useless then from the x over to the amps n ur all good

honestly 1/0 awg is not nessesary it wount make a difference the only time i would recomend 1/0 whne u have 4 amps 4 batt ect. but if you want to you can do it . the right way to go is 4 awg run it to the batt then from the batt to dist. block then used 8 awg 2 pieces from the dist block to the amp (this is what i do when i do systems) next run rca from an eq to a x over not a cheap 1 plz cuz is gogin to b useless then from the x over to the amps n ur all good
You have officially taken the dumbass comment of the month award. Congratulations. If you are running more than 1K, then 1/0 is highly recommended. 4AWG will not allow enough current to power a system with that type of power. Who the hell uses 8AWG for power or ground wire? Do not post comments when you have no clue what the heck you are referring to. Did you even know that some amps actually have a 1/0 input? Probably didn't I am guessing.

so does anyone have any opinions on running new 14 gauge speaker wire from the headunit to the speakers.. will it make a difference?? Or is it to much work for its own good?

14 AWG is definitely better than the stock 18AWG, will it make a difference? It should specially when hooking up aftermarket comp's to an amp.

Just buy a distro block with fuse holders but make sure the kind of fuse it is, they have 80 amps available. And yes you can use two different size fuses for each run of 4 ga to your amps. For the Hifonics I would use a 40 amp fuse.

I am setting up two amps as well for a total of about 1100 w rms between the two. Everything I have read has said 4 gauge splitting to 8 at the distro block would be fine so this is what I have ordered, will this be insufficient?

Uuh....according to this site:

http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/WireGuide.asp

You should have used 2 or 1/0 gauge power wire.

From there you go to a distro block.

Then you split that to 4 gauge for your sub amp and 8 gauge (or 4 gauge if you want) for your speaker amp.

You need to have a fuse on the distro block for each wire BECAUSE YOU ARE DECREASING THE SIZE OF THE WIRE. Every time you go to a smaller wire, you need a new fuse to protect that wire. If it comes lose and grounds out, it needs a fuse so it doesn't catch fire. The sizes of these fuses depend on the size of the wire used. Use a maximum of 50-amp fuses for 8 gauge wire and a maximum of 125-amp fuses for 4 gauge wire. That's my suggestion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.