WIRING FOR 2 AMPS

threebills

CarAudio.com Newbie
NY
So I'm hooking up a fosgate t400x4 which will be on 4 -2 ohm 6.5 mids and tweets,with a fosgate t1000 BDCP on 1 fosgate t1d415 (DVC) thats 1000 watts rms(fosgate always underated,even the amps birthsheet is at 1540 watts rms at 2 ohms).So,I know this is overkill,but I don't mind the money cause overkill doesn't hurt.Getting the big 3,and I'll have a 2500 watt cap,I'm gonna run 1/0 from the battery to a splitter,splitter will have4 awg pure copper to the t400(which will have at least 100x4 rms(about 29 amps)) then a 50 amp anl fuse to THAT amp.....then 2awg to the cap,then to the t1000 to a 125 anl fuse(or 100,not sure cause at 1500 it pulls 109 amps,prolly a 100 fuse say(which max is about 1500 watts rms,but prolly never even need it figuring the 15 maybe will run 1200 rms max on a deep note)so my question is.....about the grounds.....since the t400 is split on 4 awg and the t1000 is on 2 awg,should I just ground each amp with the gauge going into the amp straight to a chassis bolt?Like 4 awg ground for the t400 and a 2awg ground for the t1000? Or should I use a block?I was just gonna use the same cable gauges going into each amp coming out as a ground to the same spot.Or do i need to use 1/0 as ground for both amps being that's what i used before the split.I was thinksince it's overkill I could just use the same gauge coming out of the amps as a ground as goin in.Also far as the t1000 into the DVC 15 speakerwire is 4 gauge copper enough?or maybe go 6? Also 1 more question to add,since I have 1/0 positive from the battery do I have to have 1/0 on the big 3 coming from the alternator to the neg of the battery? Thanks in advance for your help...this is bustin my brain a bit and I'm kinda ocd so I like to be perfect lol.

Or should I use a block?
Yes. A distro block to an awesome ground point is better than two ground points.
the DVC 15 speakerwire is 4 gauge copper enoug
4 AWG is overkill. 8 AWG is more than capable of handling 1500w RMS. I use 10 AWG with no issues on 1kw.
do I have to have 1/0 on the big 3 coming from the alternator to the neg of the battery?
If you already have it on hand, use it. If not, you can use 4 AWG since it will compliment the OEM ground cable.

I have a similar set up. 0ga power to 4ga fused/splitter then used 0ga which was bolted to chassis to a 4ga splitter. Idt 2ga will fit in the amp terminal. A 100 a fuse is recommended for the t4 and a 150 a for the t1000. The inline distribution/fuse block is what I chose. You could use any mini anl you want.

Yes. A distro block to an awesome ground point is better than two ground points.

4 AWG is overkill. 8 AWG is more than capable of handling 1500w RMS. I use 10 AWG with no issues on 1kw.

If you already have it on hand, use it. If not, you can use 4 AWG since it will compliment the OEM ground cable.
I thank you very much for the reply,so 1 more follow up question if you can help.Do you think i even need a distro block or can i just throw the grounds on the same ground(which would be one of the seat chassiss bolts which i would grind to hit metal?)...and like i asked,should i use the same gauge cable that goes into each amp for a ground,i would just put a crimp ring on the 2 awg and a crimp ring on the 4,wellalready got it) and put them both on the seat screw? im just not sure about grounding,if i can ground in the same place being if theres a short on one then the other would blow....annd do you know about the big 3,if i have 1/0 from the battery do i have to have 1/0 to negative of battery from the alternator?...I really thank you for your input....i know car audio just been a while for me and never hooked up a system this big

I have a similar set up. 0ga power to 4ga fused/splitter then used 0ga which was bolted to chassis to a 4ga splitter. Idt 2ga will fit in the amp terminal. A 100 a fuse is recommended for the t4 and a 150 a for the t1000. The inline distribution/fuse block is what I chose. You could use any mini anl you want.
kewl thanks,ya,the math i did on amp pullage n sht is way overkill,i just did it cause i would hate to put that much work and it screw me lol
i'm glad you said you have it and you have no problems,thnks man

YA i think imma keep the 1/0 cause why not? already got it...and use 8 gqauge copper on the t400 which should be plenty and 4 gauge copper on the t1000,the most id need max is 1200 watts which i like 87 amps,AND ill have the 2.5 cap and im gonna get an alternator.......call me overkill guy hahaha

I really thank you guys for the input,much appreciatted,i havent put a sysytem together in a while and this free info is invaluable......ty guys

I thank you very much for the reply,so 1 more follow up question if you can help.Do you think i even need a distro block or can i just throw the grounds on the same ground(which would be one of the seat chassiss bolts which i would grind to hit metal?)...and like i asked,should i use the same gauge cable that goes into each amp for a ground,i would just put a crimp ring on the 2 awg and a crimp ring on the 4,wellalready got it) and put them both on the seat screw? im just not sure about grounding,if i can ground in the same place being if theres a short on one then the other would blow....annd do you know about the big 3,if i have 1/0 from the battery do i have to have 1/0 to negative of battery from the alternator?...I really thank you for your input....i know car audio just been a while for me and never hooked up a system this big
You can try that Seat Bolt for a ground location. Remove all paint down to Metal. Place a Washer then One amps ground Ring terminal(copper..sand off coating on both sides of the ring terminal), then the second Amp ground ring terminal(copper..sand off coating on both sides of ring terminal as the first one) then another washer and bolt down. If you have any issues with (Sparking/bad grounding issues...that would be the time to get a solid ground distro block/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...