Will a magnet from a coax set......

ace_800
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
That is touching the body make an amp go into protect when you turn up the volume or gain?

Seems that it is my speakers that are the problem from my question below. I hooked up a set of 6x9's and was able to crank up the volume much higher. So I'm trying to see if either the wiring is grounding somewhere or the speakers are or they just can't take the power and are cliping the amp.

If your amp is going into protect mode,just by hooking up the coaxal speakers.Then I would think there is a problem there.Mainly because the 6X9's play without a problem,and the coaxial speakers should play properly to a point where they can't handle the amps power (the difference in the size of the speakers),start to clip and distort the signal,if there is no problem with the speakers themselves.Just hooking up a speaker to an amp,causing the amp to go into protection mode.Tells me thre is a short in that speaker,or it's blown.The magnet touching the body,shouldnt cause a problem.Although it is not recomended,some cars that have factory speakers placed where the magnet is close to or touching the body panels.Have a retacangular pad of jute or felt between them.Have you checked to make sure,the wiring terminals on the coaxial speakers aren't touching when they are installed.Also you didn't say if this problem began at the original install of the coaxal speakers,or if it developed later.What caused you to hook up the 6X9's,for the comparason ?

If your amp is going into protect mode,just by hooking up the coaxal speakers.Then I would think there is a problem there.Mainly because the 6X9's play without a problem,and the coaxial speakers should play properly to a point where they can't handle the amps power (the difference in the size of the speakers),start to clip and distort the signal,if there is no problem with the speakers themselves.Just hooking up a speaker to an amp,causing the amp to go into protection mode.Tells me thre is a short in that speaker,or it's blown.The magnet touching the body,shouldnt cause a problem.Although it is not recomended,some cars that have factory speakers placed where the magnet is close to or touching the body panels.Have a retacangular pad of jute or felt between them.Have you checked to make sure,the wiring terminals on the coaxial speakers aren't touching when they are installed.Also you didn't say if this problem began at the original install of the coaxal speakers,or if it developed later.What caused you to hook up the 6X9's,for the comparason ?
Wrong. Try again.

bump for an update.....

Checked all the ohm at the speakers(4.2) and the wiring at the amp(4.2) with everything off. Once I turn on the car and the amps kick on the ohms for the speakers drop to 2 ohm on the right side and a negative ohm on the left. Didn't think a speaker could be a negative ohm, but showing between -1.5 and -2.0.

Yes my wiring was double and triple checked, positive to positive, negative to negative, duh.....lol.

So speakers bad? Wiring?

try unhooking the speakers from the amp and then measuring the impedance. sometimes you will get some funny readings if the speakers are hooked up to the amps terminals.

Did that, unhooked and off I get a 4.2 reading at the speakers and through the speakers wiring to the amp(unhooked from amp). Seems the ohms drops and puts the amp into protect/off.

Using the same ground as my sub amp. Also when I run the amp on my 6x9's I don't have an issue. That is just connecting them next to the amp, diff wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.