Power loss with wiring question

Participant count
  • Participant list

speakerdude123
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
WA
Okay so here is my theoretical question: Say you have a mono block amp rated at 650 rms at 2 ohms, and you connect that amp to two 4ohm subs at 2 ohms. How much power is going into each sub? (Is it cut in half?) And lets say one sub is a 12" and the other is a 15" but they are in separate boxes.

Is this even possible?

Thanks for reading :)

power is divided based on Ohm's law. if the subs have absolutely equal impedance (not just nominal impedance but the impedance curve) then power is split equally.

with two different sized subs - the impedance curves will differ - meaning sometimes one sub will get more power than the other - depending on frequency.

how much power is calculated by Ohm's law - given the voltage out of the amp.

so you can only wire two dual 4 ohm for a 4 ohm mono load or 1 ohm mono load

2_4ohmDVC_4ohm.gif

2_4ohmDVC_1ohm.gif

What if the amp has an input for 2 (-) and 2 (+) terminals. Can I put on sub into one terminal and the other sub into the other terminal?

no its a mono amp the 2 + and 2- are connected internally, so you can only wire 2 4ohm dvc subs to 1ohm or 4ohm

also its not a good idea to use 2 different sized subs. Sure it may work and sound ok, just not the way to go with things being as cheap as they are

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.