Why is my sub making this noise

I am using my factory stereo with a passive line out converter and I am using a skar IX-12 and I am over powering it by 100 watts

x2 on trying to avoid using anything like bass boost.

What kind of LOC do you have? You might want to get a LOC that's powered that has a gain on it. Does your passive LOC have any kind of gain on it? How many channels from the radio are feeding into the LOC?

The Dayton Audio sub I’m running will make that noise when I over drive the sub also. Your pushing it past it’s mechanical limit. It sounds like metal rattling on metal….because it is. You’re probably pushing too much power to it and also sending a clipped signal to it. That’s the death rattle. You should be panicking to rush and turn down the volume any time you hear a sub doing that. I almost broke my leg running for the gain knob when my Dayton made this sound.

My Bl sounded exactly like that when the spider came off the basket. It only became loud when pushed hard and it was loud. Coil tap was different... Sharper more metallic.

Id bet its one of the 2.

Hard to tell on a cell speaker.

Anytime a subwoofer makes noise like that, it’s due to something either hitting the cone (leads etc), coil bottoming out, failure of a glue joint (spider, cone, coil to cone etc) etc. Seems to me this is a perfect excuse to upgrade!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...