Why do a lot of sub companies use the same basket

I noticed the same thing all I could figure was there aren't to many casting companys producing them so several speaker builders are buying parts from the same place's adding there logo and selling it as such. This is just a guess though

I prefer my stuff not look like every other sub/amp out there so I went the over priced route with all Rockford power series stuff, I guess that's why company's like RF and JL cost so much more they have to make up for custom baskets/amp heat sinks and things that are unique to the brand.

accessable I don't mind and getting the job done is great but I HATE CHEAP especially when they don't really pass any savings onto the consumer

accessable I don't mind and getting the job done is great but I HATE CHEAP especially when they don't really pass any savings onto the consumer
How do you know what kind of savings they pass on? I'm surprise you'd care whether they did or not considering you said you prefer to pay more money for something specifically because it looks different.

I was merely saying that the 12 spoke basket is not expensive to use, so it helps keep the overall cost down.

How do you know what kind of savings they pass on? I'm surprise you'd care whether they did or not considering you said you prefer to pay more money for something specifically because it looks different.
I was merely saying that the 12 spoke basket is not expensive to use, so it helps keep the overall cost down.

I really have no idea what there banking nor do i care, I just noticed that a lot of the underground stuff has a price range that's right up there with the name brands so to pay a little more to have it NOT look like 4-5 other company's woofer is worth it to me. Not saying the mainstream stuff is better just different.

I prefer my stuff not look like every other sub/amp out there so I went the over priced route with all Rockford power series stuff, I guess that's why company's like RF and JL cost so much more they have to make up for custom baskets/amp heat sinks and things that are unique to the brand.
I am right there with you goingdef. I agree with you 100%. Rockford is expensive but you get what you pay for.

The majority of a subs' life, it is inside of an enclosure and you cannot see the basket... so what does it matter what it looks like? 12 spoke baskets that are common are not expensive. They are cast aluminum so they don't rob the motor of any strength. Any cast aluminum basket would have that property. Most stamped steel baskets are attracted by magnets, which takes away from the motor force. I don't at all mind 12 spoke baskets as the basket doesn't give the subs' performance its individuality or conformity. It merely provides the structure for the soft parts. If you would rather pander to looks and possibly throw performance by the wayside have at it. Usually the STRONG baskets are pretty ugly. The 12 spoke isn't really known for its great strength as a lot of people have them with broken spokes. Those huge 6 spokes are pretty beastly though.

it is expencive to tool a new basket and really no need to when a 12 spoke allows plent of clearence and cooling. it was known as the mtx 12 spoke cause they started it. what happens is a co pays for a basket to be made but they have to pay extra to hold the rites to it or the foundry can sell them. the 12 spoke is a very strong basket. and a steel basket dosent lower the motors strength at all...

Well the company that makes the basket needs a minimum order quantity and initial charge for a new cast mold, so unless you can guarantee yourself that you can sell say, 200 woofers before you even turn a profit then it gets expensive for small companies to start a business with their own unique design. So might as well use an existing & proven basket then add your own soft parts because it is cheaper to turn a profit that way.

MONEY MAKES THE WORLD GO AROUND. If a cure for cancer don't turn a profit then there won't be a cure for cancer.

Well the company that makes the basket needs a minimum order quantity and initial charge for a new cast mold, so unless you can guarantee yourself that you can sell say, 200 woofers before you even turn a profit then it gets expensive for small companies to start a business with their own unique design. So might as well use an existing & proven basket then add your own soft parts because it is cheaper to turn a profit that way.

MONEY MAKES THE WORLD GO AROUND. If a cure for cancer don't turn a profit then there won't be a cure for cancer.

I'm not knocking the small company's out there I'm sure if they make a good product one day said company will grow large enough to afford to have there own unique design and patent on there specific product be it amps or subs.

Yep, that's why you also see many amplifier sharing similar circuit boards, just with different parts.

Kind of like how GMC trucks are similar to Chevy trucks and Mercury is basically a Ford, and the 3800 series engine are found in many American cars.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.