Which sub to get? 12 xxx or 13w7!

was the 12w7 sealed? i'd do the 13w7 ported, I dont think you 't really have the power for a xxx.
Yeah, it was sealed. It sounded great, played lots of acid jazz and trip hop on it, hit the beats nice. But like I said, it left me wanting a little more. I wish it hit a little deeper and louder. I'm not sure if my Tantrum has enough power or not for an XXX, but I have the knob on the amp turned up only 2/5ths. And I have a remote control bass knob in the car I never turn up over half way, and it just blew the 12w7. When it blew, I was just playing some tunes in my friends drive way and it stopped, I popped the trunk and checked the amp first of course. Amp light was on, fan was on and the amp was barely warm. The Tantrum is very powerful.

This should work with both subs. Though more airspace would be ideal for the xxx. Also, with subs this heavy you probably want to double layer the baffle.

It should be 2.38@34hz (right about manufacturer recommendations for both subs)

port is 3" x 12.5" x 30.25" long

39309623.jpg

This should work with both subs. Though more airspace would be ideal for the xxx. Also, with subs this heavy you probably want to double layer the baffle.2.35@34

port is 3" x 12.5" x 30.25" long

39309623.jpg
I really appreciate that man, that's nice. Now I just hope that thing will fit inside of my trunk. I wasn't there when the guy built the box I have now or when he put it in, but I'm pretty sure he had to do more than just push it in. I couldn't take this box out right now even if I wanted to. But I'm definitely gonna give him this picture and ask him to make it happen. Also, can I get your opinion on which sub you would run with and if my Tantrum is enough power fro the XXX?

Due to height restrictions you may have to remove the speakers in the rear deck (which i would do either way).

I've never used the xxx before but I've heard they need tremendous amounts of power so you would want to use a larger enclosure (Hoffman's iron law), which doesn't sound like an option. So w7 would be the way I'd go, unless you want to upgrade to more like 2.5kw for the sub.

Due to height restrictions you may have to remove the speakers in the rear deck (which i would do either way).
I've never used the xxx before but I've heard they need tremendous amounts of power so you would want to use a larger enclosure (Hoffman's iron law), which doesn't sound like an option. So w7 would be the way I'd go, unless you want to upgrade to more like 2.5kw for the sub.

Nah, I wouldn't wanna remove the rear speakers. Plus I paid good $ for them, their MB Quarts. Originally I bought the fronts and the rears, and only put the fronts in because in order for the rears to fit, I had to cut some metal out and remove the cover for the mach 460 system. So we originally left the rear speakers in there, and it just didn't sound right IMO. The sub was overpowering the vocals way too much. So the guy made some adjustments, installed the rear MB Quarts and it sounded perfect. But yeah, I am worried I may not have the proper power for the XXX. I don't wanna strain my amp.

Notice that the overall diameter of the 13w7 is 14" so the enclosure height will have to be at least that high. You could fire the sub upwards but that would rattle the trunk and rear deck probably far too much.

im telling you 05 xxx's have some of the cleanest bass you will ever hear and absolutly kill the lows. speaking from expierence talk to nom nom xxx's are a very nice sq woofer that can get loud in the right box. and honestly think about it...blow a xxx 150$ recone...blow a w7...500$ recone? no thanks.

Notice that the overall diameter of the 13w7 is 14" so the enclosure height will have to be at least that high. You could fire the sub upwards but that would rattle the trunk and rear deck probably far too much.
I have dynamat on the rears, but I think that would still be too much rattle, which is really annoying. Do you think removing the speakers and leaving the tweeters back there by themselves is a good idea? If I remove the rear speakers, I'll have a few more inches to work with.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.