Which sub option

evil_lies

Texas
So I have a 10" MTX Thunder 6000 that I've been planning on using, but have started toying with the idea of 2 sundown sa8v2's. If I keep the MTX its going in a sealed box, but if I go with the sa's, I can do a ported box at about the same size. Now, I've never built a ported box, but wouldn't mind researching and learning.

My question is, will the 2 8" subs give me more, less or about the same low end bass in a ported box vs the 10 in a sealed box? I'm pretty sure the 8's will be louder, which could be helpful in my Jeep with the top down. I'm not looking for anything crazy, just miss having bass in my vehicle...

The two 8's will offer more output over the single 10. Being in a ported enclosure, they will definitely offer more output. While being louder in general yes, they will be louder across the board. I would tune them 32- 35 Hz for a daily set up and in doing so you'll still yield a musical response and will have no problem being loud down low. If the subs will be on rated power, you could do 1.5 cubic foot net for the pair. If seeing under rated power you could go as large as 2 cubic foot. A friend of mine has a pair of the SA-8v2's in his Lexus is300 on a SAZ1500D @ 1 ohm in a 2 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 33 Hz. It does very well and people have a hard time believing they're 8's. Impressive little subs.

The two 8's will offer more output over the single 10. Being in a ported enclosure, they will definitely offer more output. While being louder in general yes, they will be louder across the board. I would tune them 32- 35 Hz for a daily set up and in doing so you'll still yield a musical response and will have no problem being loud down low. If the subs will be on rated power, you could do 1.5 cubic foot net for the pair. If seeing under rated power you could go as large as 2 cubic foot. A friend of mine has a pair of the SA-8v2's in his Lexus is300 on a SAZ1500D @ 1 ohm in a 2 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 33 Hz. It does very well and people have a hard time believing they're 8's. Impressive little subs.
how are the lows on your 8's?

If the subs will be on rated power, you could do 1.5 cubic foot net for the pair. If seeing under rated power you could go as large as 2 cubic foot.
Just for the sake of making the enclosure as small as I can, if going on rated power could I do 1 cubic foot with polyfill? The manufacturer recommends .5-.75 from what I saw on the website.

Sa8's hammer out the lows. Why they have been bandwagon favorite forever
Man, now you made me not want them. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

I found what I believe is a great deal for the pair locally. I was never huge into car audio, but years ago I knew a little bit. I didn't know Sundown was the bandwagon favorite (I just new they were well regarded), do you have a less mainstream recommendation if the local deal doesn't happen (preferably for less money because the deal I'm looking at is bout halfprice)? I may still go with my MTX just because I already have it...

Man, now you made me not want them. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gifI found what I believe is a great deal for the pair locally. I was never huge into car audio, but years ago I knew a little bit. I didn't know Sundown was the bandwagon favorite (I just new they were well regarded), do you have a less mainstream recommendation if the local deal doesn't happen (preferably for less money because the deal I'm looking at is bout halfprice)? I may still go with my MTX just because I already have it...
SA8v2's over the MTX any day.. I have one and it pounded pretty good in a ported box that was tuned low. If you could fit the SA 10's, I would go with them. This is simply going to give you more surface area. Why don't you want a big box?

There just isn't much real estate in the back of my Jeep, plus I'm trying to make it as light as possible so I can remove it fairly easily when I do need the room.
Alright. The SA8's do really good in small ported boxes. I don't know of anything else that does as good in a small box. They'll definitely be better than the MTX in a sealed box. If Boomtaco comments on this thread, ignore him, haha. He tried to tell someone to get MTX instead of DC level 4 XL's

Alright. The SA8's do really good in small ported boxes. I don't know of anything else that does as good in a small box. They'll definitely be better than the MTX in a sealed box. If Boomtaco comments on this thread, ignore him, haha. He tried to tell someone to get MTX instead of DC level 4 XL's
Yeah, I already made up my mind that the SA's are the better sub, just trying to figure out if I want to cut into my amp money to get the deal on the sundowns (plus I'll then need more amp power). I just wasn't sure about the lows with them being a smaller speaker.

Yeah, I already made up my mind that the SA's are the better sub, just trying to figure out if I want to cut into my amp money to get the deal on the sundowns (plus I'll then need more amp power). I just wasn't sure about the lows with them being a smaller speaker.
They move enough to have good lows. Don't skimp on the amp. They are under-rated subs. If you put them in a really small enclosure, they'll take over 1k each. If you buy a small amp and are unhappy with performance, don't blame the subs. This has been your warning, lol

They move enough to have good lows. Don't skimp on the amp. They are under-rated subs. If you put them in a really small enclosure, they'll take over 1k each. If you buy a small amp and are unhappy with performance, don't blame the subs. This has been your warning, lol
Yeah, my original plan was to pair the MTX sub with a ppi p900.4 to power it and my front speakers. If I get the sundowns I will have to replan that (and rebudget).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.