Looking for a replacement for 10" Pioneer TS-W2502D2

Participant count
  • Participant list

moto211

My current setup in my 2013 Ford Fiesta is the stock Ford Sync system with high level inputs (tapped from front speakers since they're full range and the rears may not be) connected to a Pioneer GM-D8601 (it does built in line level conversion) powering a 10" Pioneer Champion Pro TS-W2502D2 wired for 1ohm (800 watts RMS from amp) in a 1 cu ft sealed box.

I fried the voice coils in the sub yesterday. I was driving rated power and gain was properly and professionally set so it's never been clipped. It's 14 months old so I have no warranty. I'll call Pioneer tomorrow to see if they'll help me out anyway but I'm not holding my breath.

So, I'm shopping for a potential replacement. Space is an issue so I'd like to sick with one 10". I do like low shake you type bass so I'm open to switching to a ported box. Preferably no more than 1.5 cu ft though. I can switch out the amp to one more suited to ported operation if needed as I also have a Digital Designs SS1A. Budget is about $150 for the sub.

I'm looking at an Alpine 10" Type R with dual 2ohm coils. It seems that they might have cone separation issues though. What do you guys think would be a good fit?

My current setup in my 2013 Ford Fiesta is the stock Ford Sync system with high level inputs (tapped from front speakers since they're full range and the rears may not be) connected to a Pioneer GM-D8601 (it does built in line level conversion) powering a 10" Pioneer Champion Pro TS-W2502D2 wired for 1ohm (800 watts RMS from amp) in a 1 cu ft sealed box.
I fried the voice coils in the sub yesterday. I was driving rated power and gain was properly and professionally set so it's never been clipped. It's 14 months old so I have no warranty. I'll call Pioneer tomorrow to see if they'll help me out anyway but I'm not holding my breath.

So, I'm shopping for a potential replacement. Space is an issue so I'd like to sick with one 10". I do like low shake you type bass so I'm open to switching to a ported box. Preferably no more than 1.5 cu ft though. I can switch out the amp to one more suited to ported operation if needed as I also have a Digital Designs SS1A. Budget is about $150 for the sub.

I'm looking at an Alpine 10" Type R with dual 2ohm coils. It seems that they might have cone separation issues though. What do you guys think would be a good fit?
Sundown Audio SA10 would be good. Since your in Sacramento like me, go to Arden Audio. They sell Sundown, only place in town that sells it

Forgot to mention that both of my amps will do 500w@2ohms. So if there's an application that can hit harder at that power than 800@1ohm (750 on the SS1A), I'm open to that too.

Sundown Audio SA10 would be good. Since your in Sacramento like me, go to Arden Audio. They sell Sundown, only place in town that sells it
Ported, or sealed? Which amp do you think is a better match? With either amp, do you think it'd be better to get the dual 4ohm version and drive it at 500w so I don't overpower the sub?

Ported, or sealed? Which amp do you think is a better match? With either amp, do you think it'd be better to get the dual 4ohm version and drive it at 500w so I don't overpower the sub?
Ported. No run it at 1 ohm. Sundown subs are **** near bulletproof. Lots of people run double rated power to them. Just make sure the gain is set properly. One of the workers at Arden Audio has a Didge Dakota with 2 Sundown X 12s on 5000 watts. The subs are only rated for 1250.

And don't get a prefab ported box, you won't be happy. They are tuned way too high. Either build one yourself if you know how or have one built. Any shop over charges by a lot, but there is a guy in Roseville I found that does good work.

Home - IDYLLIC ENCLOSURES

OK. That means I need to convince the wife to let me spend a little more. Looks like the sub will cost just shy of $200 plus a little more for a sheet of 1/2" MDF and some carpet.

I'm thinking I'll sell my pioneer amp to cover some of the cost and keep the SS1A since it has subsonic adjustment. In sealed application, the pioneer amp hits so much harder though. Do you think the digital designs amp will do better in ported application? Or should I just keep the one that throws more power at it?

OK. That means I need to convince the wife to let me spend a little more. Looks like the sub will cost just shy of $200 plus a little more for a sheet of 1/2" MDF and some carpet.
I'm thinking I'll sell my pioneer amp to cover some of the cost and keep the SS1A since it has subsonic adjustment. In sealed application, the pioneer amp hits so much harder though. Do you think the digital designs amp will do better in ported application? Or should I just keep the one that throws more power at it?
I'm pretty sure arden audio is a little cheaper than online stores. And use 3/4 MDF. Tune it to about 33. I'd throw more power at it, but that's me. Idyllic charged me 100 for my box for 2 10s

3/4" MDF, noted.

I've never built a box but I'm sure I can do it. I'm very detail oriented. I'm very comfortable with the concept of check the designs three times, measure twice, cut once.

How do I go about designing for a specific frequency though?

That's where I have no idea. Lol Post a thread in the enclosure section for help on that. Lots of guys on this forum can help you. There are websites you can buy box plans from, like PWK, ram designs and I think SSA is selling box designs now. But you should be able to have someone on here help you out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.