Need help finalizing decision for SQ sub for small enclosure

Participant count
  • Participant list

JonathanSQ

Hello all,

So earlier this month, I posted for ideas on replacing the two 12" Kicker CompR subs I ended up with by surprise (long story short-- surprise birthday gift while I was away on business). A few problems with the setup is it is under powered (1600w RMS subs running on 300w RMS), the box is huge and consumes over 70% of my trunk, and it only sounds good with hip hop music. I tried to run just one of the subs in a sealed box, per recommendation... but it still sounds more SPL than SQ and it is now even more under powered at 150w RMS.

After a week of further Googling, and forum searching, I think I have decided on a ID V4 8" or 10" sub. I think it would deliver the sharp, fast punchy SQ bass I want-- but not sure if it'd get decently loud with my current amp, or if it can hit the low notes for when I do play hip hop/R&B music.

Car: 2011 Mitsubishi Lancer

Head Unit: JVC KD-AR959BS (keeping for now even though I hate it with a passion)

Front speakers: Kicker 6.5" Components (forget exact model- keeping)

Back speakers: Kicker 6.5" Coaxial (40CS654- keeping)

Amp: Kicker DX600.5 5-channel (40w x 4 @ 4Ohm or 75w x 4 @ 2Ohm + 300w x 1 @ 2Ohm -- RMS)

Type of music: EDM (trance, house, and dubstep), rock, country, hip hop/rap, and R&B.

Free space: (aprx) 11" (H) x 11" (W) x 15" (D)

Budget: up to $200-300 on the sub-- $500 absolute total if I have to also replace the Kicker amp

Might be able to get more space but waiting for it to stop raining so I can take the current subs out and get a better measure. Plan to install in the back (toward tail light) of the trunk, on the driver's side-- between tail light and wheel well. It would be firing toward the passenger side. This way it would look fairly stock and give me back a large majority of my trunk.

So to summarize... looking for sharp, fast & punchy SQ bass that can also hit lows when needed, can get loud (e.g. as loud as my current setup can get) but stays sharp and clear, and will work in a very small enclosure. Thoughts?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.