Which of these tweeters should I buy?

Participant count
  • Participant list

cotjones
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
I somehow lost the tweeters on my JBL GX600c components while they were in storage.
So it's time to buy some new ones. I'm actually pretty happy with the 6.5" Midrange drivers, and they've managed to hold up well to my amp.
But the way wiring is in my car, it will greatly simplify installation if the new tweeters have their own in-line crossover.

I need something loud. It needs to keep up with 4 JL audio 10w6v2's on a Taramps HD3000 amp.
Also, needs pretty high RMS rating.
I'm pushing my highs and mids with an old school Rockford punch 800.4 which can product 200 RMS at 2 ohms per channel.
Not positive, but I think the JBL Mids are 4 Ohm. So 4 ohm tweeters would be best.

I've been honestly kind of shocked at how low the prices I'm seeing are.

I've seen these DS18 bullet tweeters. for $26 that seem way too good to be true.
But at $26 I might just buy them to see what they are like. They are highly rated on amazon, and (on paper) seem to match my needs perfectly.
The only thing I would like is a little better frequency response range. These only quote 2.2-19kHz
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BBQYCNV/?tag=caraudiocom-20

I noticed they have a slightly bigger model that goes from 1.6 - 20kHz for $14.00 more...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BBRTKR9/?tag=caraudiocom-20

As far as more reputable companies with similar product specs.
All I really see is the pioneer pro series, but they only go as low as 3.5khz, and seems like i'd need some lower extension on those.
They do go up to 27kHz. But the "super tweeter" frequencies are less important to me. I just want very loud and very clear highs to keep up with my bass.
Doesn't need to be studio-quality, but at least concert quality. Certainly not fart can quality.

I like that the DS18's have a more traditional tweeter range, but with a super tweeter style construction and massive power handling.

What do you guys think? I mean I've bought Chinese food that cost more than $26... So i'll probably buy them regardless.
But what kind of products do you recommend I look into?

Seas Tweeters are really nice as are the Alpine Tweeters from China for 40 bucks shipped are nice as well but you have to wait 2-3 weeks. Not a fan of DS equipment overall it just seems cheap to me.

Seas Tweeters are really nice as are the Alpine Tweeters from China for 40 bucks shipped are nice as well but you have to wait 2-3 weeks. Not a fan of DS equipment overall it just seems cheap to me.

Looking for SEAS tweeters I found this site:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...pVnZcGGsCw_nJCNJ7xdMggT_Fwuc_cKgaAirSEALw_wcB

I had not really thought about buying these studio monitor style tweeters, but it looks like you get massive power handling and quality for a good price with these.

These look pretty dope:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...s-prestige-27tffc-h0881-textile-dome-tweeter/

Seas tweeters are used a lot when building a component set along with those Alpines same with the Madison Speaker store. They do a ton of business in the car audio world. My Silver Flutes I bought used with seas tweeters cost me 45 bucks shipped and they only had a couple hours on the whole set. But I am going to try the Alpines first before going to the seas and it came with the set you have linked above. I like the looks of this one better but that is just me. The ones you have linked are 6ohms so remember that as well.

Pretty sure you can get the OEM JBL tweets that go with that component set (or current version of it) for cheap on eBay. I run those components in my Corolla and we have a couple sets in my brother's civic and they're nice enough that IMO you'd need to start spending (and get into active crossover) before seeing an improvement.

I somehow lost the tweeters on my JBL GX600c components while they were in storage.
So it's time to buy some new ones. I'm actually pretty happy with the 6.5" Midrange drivers, and they've managed to hold up well to my amp.
But the way wiring is in my car, it will greatly simplify installation if the new tweeters have their own in-line crossover.

I need something loud. It needs to keep up with 4 JL audio 10w6v2's on a Taramps HD3000 amp.
Also, needs pretty high RMS rating.
I'm pushing my highs and mids with an old school Rockford punch 800.4 which can product 200 RMS at 2 ohms per channel.
Not positive, but I think the JBL Mids are 4 Ohm. So 4 ohm tweeters would be best.

I've been honestly kind of shocked at how low the prices I'm seeing are.

I've seen these DS18 bullet tweeters. for $26 that seem way too good to be true.
But at $26 I might just buy them to see what they are like. They are highly rated on amazon, and (on paper) seem to match my needs perfectly.
The only thing I would like is a little better frequency response range. These only quote 2.2-19kHz
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BBQYCNV/?tag=caraudiocom-20

I noticed they have a slightly bigger model that goes from 1.6 - 20kHz for $14.00 more...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BBRTKR9/?tag=caraudiocom-20

As far as more reputable companies with similar product specs.
All I really see is the pioneer pro series, but they only go as low as 3.5khz, and seems like i'd need some lower extension on those.
They do go up to 27kHz. But the "super tweeter" frequencies are less important to me. I just want very loud and very clear highs to keep up with my bass.
Doesn't need to be studio-quality, but at least concert quality. Certainly not fart can quality.

I like that the DS18's have a more traditional tweeter range, but with a super tweeter style construction and massive power handling.

What do you guys think? I mean I've bought Chinese food that cost more than $26... So i'll probably buy them regardless.
But what kind of products do you recommend I look into?

These get loud. There is a couple of different sizes also.

View attachment 28259
Screenshot_20210426-163818_Chrome.jpg

Update: Got the DS18's in.
Holy hell. I'm very impressed. They are extremely loud, and much clearer than I expected.
Although they are very clear, they are also extremely harsh at high volumes, definitely some unpleasant coloring of the high end.
A problem is that their sensitivity is just ridiculously high. I had to turn my amp about half way down from where I had it driving the midrange alone, and still turn my EQ's (from 4k and up) down to absolute minimum and my ears are still ringing from the ride into work.

Long story short, these aren't going to play nice with my mids. They might be ok with their own dedicated amp channel, so I could level them with the mids, but they were really just a curiosity buy. I'll probably see what I can do with the SEAS tweeters.

I'm hesitant to buy the alpines because the first set of components I ever bought were alpine type-R and I cooked the tweeters well below rated power. The Dealer told me I couldn't return them because they smelled like smoke, meaning I had overpowered them, which was ********. I used a multimeter to set the gains. So bad experience turned me off. (Granted this was probably 15 years ago.)

Pretty sure you can get the OEM JBL tweets that go with that component set (or current version of it) for cheap on eBay. I run those components in my Corolla and we have a couple sets in my brother's civic and they're nice enough that IMO you'd need to start spending (and get into active crossover) before seeing an improvement.
They were nice! I'm pissed I can't find them. I think my wife threw them away, :mad:.
I have considered this. But I was always a tad bit nervous about overdriving them.

Seas tweeters are used a lot when building a component set along with those Alpines same with the Madison Speaker store. They do a ton of business in the car audio world. My Silver Flutes I bought used with seas tweeters cost me 45 bucks shipped and they only had a couple hours on the whole set. But I am going to try the Alpines first before going to the seas and it came with the set you have linked above. I like the looks of this one better but that is just me. The ones you have linked are 6ohms so remember that as well.

[/URL]
These look nice too!
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/vifa-soft-dome-tweeters/vifa-ne25vts-04-1-silk-dome-tweeter/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...