Which ~2000w mono?

GoldCountryCA

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hello,

Looking for an amp to power my subs. 850wrms each. 1700 watts total at roughly 80% efficiency means I’m looking in the ballpark of 2125w.

So far looking at the 1800w Kicker 46cxa1800.1t and the DC Audio 2k.

Looking at stuff between $5-700, but open to options.

Thoughts?

Hello,

Looking for an amp to power my subs. 850wrms each. 1700 watts total at roughly 80% efficiency means I’m looking in the ballpark of 2125w.

So far looking at the 1800w Kicker 46cxa1800.1t and the DC Audio 2k.

Looking at stuff between $5-700, but open to options.

Thoughts?
Ive been using one of two of this amplifier along with the 150.4 and its been flawless

Here is what I run, currently. HQ full Korean, from this guy on ebay with a 3 year warranty.

Very powerful, built like a tank!

If I had the room, I'd be looking at one of these.

1705038967278.png

Absolutely gorgeous, pur raw power $799

There are quite a few that foot that bill.

AND if you full bridge designs, there's too many to list!

If you are looking for half bridge from the Korean offerings https://www.wolframaudio.com/products/w-4500-1

Yep more power than you asked for but doesn’t mean you have to use it. It’s within budget and imo from the best build house in Korea and at a good price compared to others using the same thing for $850+.

If full bridge taramps smart series would be my choice. You can get a 3k for about $300 or less and would be the most efficient option if that is important to you.

If you’re wanting class A/B, I’d only look at the true high end or Korean offerings.

I have no experience with the brand yet but the Trinity audio 3000.1 is 2000w at 4 ohm or 3kw at 2 and 1. Small compact and running at 4 ohm it should be least stressed with the highest damping factor it can have. Alternatively eBay has the soundigital sd5 line which also has a 3kw option that should work and is equally small

Efficiency would be nice. Factory alt was 136A and my MechMan is 370A. I’ve got 234A before I start dipping into factory system’s capacity. All my calculations have been based on 80% efficiency. Also, where these will live, they’ll by sandwiched between the back seat and wall touching both. Probably not great for heat dissipation.

I’ve been leaning towards class D for these reasons, but I’m just a beginner, so let me know if my logic is flawed.

I have no experience with the brand yet but the Trinity audio 3000.1 is 2000w at 4 ohm or 3kw at 2 and 1. Small compact and running at 4 ohm it should be least stressed with the highest damping factor it can have. Alternatively eBay has the soundigital sd5 line which also has a 3kw option that should work and is equally small
I should’ve stated in my original post, the dual 4 subs will be wire for 1 ohm load. I’ll look at all these options.

I run my 3000 watt Hooligan at 4 ohms. Amplifiers that run at 4 ohms control the woofer better (damping is substantially reduced from 4 down to 2 ohms) and are at their highest efficiency (89% versus like 75%), so as WInky said, something to consider. I prefer to use a 3k or 4k amp to get 1500 to 2000 watts over the alternative, especially if you're considering a full bridge (Brazilian type) design.

@winkychevelle and @Doxquzme ,

Thanks for your replies. Would the box (or its tuning) play any role in 1vs4 ohm selection? It’s a Gately audio ported enclosure down firing under the rear seat. Supposed to be good SQ for a ported box, but ported nevertheless. I’d prefer SQ over SPL, despite this box choice.
IMG_0029.jpeg

I was having a difficult time finding a quality enclosure that fit my truck without losing functionality. My buddy told me these are legit. Though, it may not be a perfect fit for the SQ goal…

Thanks for your help!

That should work great. Impedance and power are not a function of the box (yes, impedance rise is impacted by the box, not thinking that is the OP's question) though sound pressure containment can be, not an issue here for the most part and not a huge consideration. I doubt seriously that you will ever push the subs you have anywhere near that level. My H-KO3 can deliver 1500 watts to my two Focal 33v2s which are wired to a 4 ohm load, which are rated at 400 ea. I've got the gains turned way down to get that output around 1000. I can never even get close to that use before it gets uncomfortably loud! Here is vid of a guy demonstrating output to volume - amp draw, it kind of sums it up.

The box doesn't care about ohm load.

As far as sq and a ported box its not that simple. A ported box can sound like trash or sound awesome. It's more of a function of getting the right airspace and tuning frequency for the driver and your goals.

People say sealed is for sq say that because a sealed response curve is usually fairly flat but if you look at that same curve everything below 45hz drops off rapidly. Those same people rely on cabin gain to boost that bottom end which doesn't always happen

A ported box can be built to be just as flat but it's typically a larger box with a much lower tuning frequency

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

GoldCountryCA

CarAudio.com Recruit
GoldCountryCA
Northern Ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views