Where's my box DC Creations?

@denim - 'sup with those Khaotic boxes? I wanna get a ZCON 12....and possibly one of those. There's no shops worth anything around here, so a custom box is pretty much not an option. I was looking at the single ported enclosure, but the cubic footage seems kinda low for the ZCON....whatcha think?

@denim - 'sup with those Khaotic boxes? I wanna get a ZCON 12....and possibly one of those. There's no shops worth anything around here, so a custom box is pretty much not an option. I was looking at the single ported enclosure, but the cubic footage seems kinda low for the ZCON....whatcha think?
Shoot me a PM about Khaotik enclosures as I don't want to take away from DC Creations.

Not normally on this site, but I stumbled upon it, and after reading many posts and topics here and seemingly all over the internet of dissatisfied DC Creations/Pro Rabbit/Dustin customers, I thought I'd leave a little story here for you to read.

I normally build my own enclosures and such, but about seven years ago, I was on a 6 month assignment for work, about 1000 miles from my home and my carpentry tools. While away from home, and making a large per diem, I started to really desire a new sound system in my dually aimed at SQ over SPL. I also decided that I needed a custom center console to accommodate my work laptop that I frequently used on site, as well as my switch panel array for my electrical accessories (lights, winch, rear view camera, as well as my ignition and stereo valet switches) and 120VAC power outlets. So, with that, I designed a 3/4" MDF sealed down-firing sub enclosure for a 12" sub tuned to my ideal liking, and then designed a center console, that would stretch all the way from my lower dash to the front of my rear seat, to be built around that sub enclosure out of 3/8" birch plywood. I drew up a very detailed print with dimensions and detailed views for areas that I felt needed special attention paid by the builder that I would reluctantly choose to do what I wished I had my tools to do myself. With those drawings and dimensions in hand, I consulted a local custom cabinet/furniture builder (older guy in his mid 60's with about 50 years of experience in the trade) to see if he'd take on the project. He showed me some of his cabinetry and furniture work, and said my project really wouldn't be a problem for him to quickly knock out, and he even thanked me for all of the work I put into the drawings for him. He even suggested an internal arched bracing for the console (that rounded over my tranny hump) and inside the sub enclosure that he often used on tables that was far superior to the "A" brace I had planned. He took some other measurements and angles inside my truck, and even quickly made a negative imprint of my lower dash and the front of my rear seat with a clay-like material that he said he normally used to take imprints of 3 dimensional shapes in which to make them 2 dimensional so he could mimic them with a router to give decorative depth to some of his otherwise flat woodwork. This guys was truly an experienced master. He called me a mere four days later, and told me to stop by, inspect it, and give it a fit check. I went by, and I was blown away by the finished product. Not a rough cut anywhere on it as if it was cut with a CNC machine and the edges were all nicely radiused. He also routed out a spot on top for my laptop to sit in, instead of it sliding off of my seat every time I hit the brakes hard. My expectations were not only met, but were FAR exceeded. Not a nail or screw anywhere on it, it was all expertly assembled with finger joints and glue...and it was as solid as any wooden structure as I had ever seen. So, I put it in place, and it needed a bit of shaping at the dash and the rear seat, and to cut route out some hole on the sides towards the dash to add some 6 1/2" mid woofers, and route holes for cup holders because I had finally recieved the cup holders I wanted put in. He told me to come back in a few hours and we'd fit it again. When I went back, we put it back in, and it fit like a glove from the dash to the seat. I could have made that console 10 times, and never built it as accurate as he did on the first shot. And I'm a VERY meticulous person in my work. He then recommended a local upholstery shop that often did work for him on furniture he made, and that they could probably color match the factory leather and stitching in my truck. So I took it over there, and in another three days, they called me to come by and inspect the work. It was every bit as meticulously done as the console itself. When I finally put it in my truck, it looked like it was a factory console. It was solid, heavy, and sounded incredible once I got the Dayton subwoofer and 6 1/2's installed and wired up. The total cost of that build was $800 after buying the wood. ($500 for the console/sub enclosure, and $300 for the upholstery). Not a bad price considering the workmanship compared to the price of some shoddy prebuilt enclosures and even custom-fit enclosures I had looked at online. And those were just sub enclosures. Mine was a full console on top of that. My buddy bought that truck from me 4 years later and always text me to rub it in that my console was now his. He eventually just sold it about a month ago to a guy who also said he loved the console in it. That console looked just as good on the day he sold it as it did on the day I picked it up from the upholstery shop and installed it. I will probably always regret letting that truck go to someone else with that piece of artwork in it. If I can manage to dig up the pictures of it one day, I'll post 'em up here. It will bring a tear to your eye.

So, the point of that story? With all of the custom cabinet/furniture makers and upholsterers out there, why do people continue to seek out places like DC Creations to build their overpriced enclosure and wrap it in cheap carpet that will fall off, only to end up unhappy in the end? It's really not rocket science to design a sub enclosure to a specific tune. It's mathematics. There are even free/shareware programs that will give you a basic outline that you can alter to fit your particular vehicle. Think outside the box, and find someone who is a master at the craft of woodworking if you don't feel comfortable with building your own enclosure. Just because it's an enclosure for car audio equipment doesn't mean you have to go to someone in the car audio world to build it. Chances are, a cabinet/furniture builder will build your enclosure faster, stronger, better than 99% of the car audio installers will, because cabinet/furniture builders are indeed masters at their carpentry craft, while 99% of car audio guys merely dabble in the trade.

Though, with what else I have also heard about Dustin, he will probably delete this and ban me since apparently he's a mod here. How a vendor is a mod is beyond me, anyway, But, whatever... Even if this helps one other person find another route to a quality product in a timely fashion, then it served its purpose. Dustin's reputation online is already in the dumps anyway, it seems. The funny thing is... I'm from Oklahoma City area, where he is apparently from, and I'd never even heard of him or his business until yesterday when I stumbled upon a DC Creations hate-topic while looking up specs on amps from OKC-based Digital Designs and Sound Qubed.

Not normally on this site, but I stumbled upon it, and after reading many posts and topics here and seemingly all over the internet of dissatisfied DC Creations/Pro Rabbit/Dustin customers, I thought I'd leave a little story here for you to read.
I normally build my own enclosures and such, but about seven years ago, I was on a 6 month assignment for work, about 1000 miles from my home and my carpentry tools. While away from home, and making a large per diem, I started to really desire a new sound system in my dually aimed at SQ over SPL. I also decided that I needed a custom center console to accommodate my work laptop that I frequently used on site, as well as my switch panel array for my electrical accessories (lights, winch, rear view camera, as well as my ignition and stereo valet switches) and 120VAC power outlets. So, with that, I designed a 3/4" MDF sealed down-firing sub enclosure for a 12" sub tuned to my ideal liking, and then designed a center console, that would stretch all the way from my lower dash to the front of my rear seat, to be built around that sub enclosure out of 3/8" birch plywood. I drew up a very detailed print with dimensions and detailed views for areas that I felt needed special attention paid by the builder that I would reluctantly choose to do what I wished I had my tools to do myself. With those drawings and dimensions in hand, I consulted a local custom cabinet/furniture builder (older guy in his mid 60's with about 50 years of experience in the trade) to see if he'd take on the project. He showed me some of his cabinetry and furniture work, and said my project really wouldn't be a problem for him to quickly knock out, and he even thanked me for all of the work I put into the drawings for him. He even suggested an internal arched bracing for the console (that rounded over my tranny hump) and inside the sub enclosure that he often used on tables that was far superior to the "A" brace I had planned. He took some other measurements and angles inside my truck, and even quickly made a negative imprint of my lower dash and the front of my rear seat with a clay-like material that he said he normally used to take imprints of 3 dimensional shapes in which to make them 2 dimensional so he could mimic them with a router to give decorative depth to some of his otherwise flat woodwork. This guys was truly an experienced master. He called me a mere four days later, and told me to stop by, inspect it, and give it a fit check. I went by, and I was blown away by the finished product. Not a rough cut anywhere on it as if it was cut with a CNC machine and the edges were all nicely radiused. He also routed out a spot on top for my laptop to sit in, instead of it sliding off of my seat every time I hit the brakes hard. My expectations were not only met, but were FAR exceeded. Not a nail or screw anywhere on it, it was all expertly assembled with finger joints and glue...and it was as solid as any wooden structure as I had ever seen. So, I put it in place, and it needed a bit of shaping at the dash and the rear seat, and to cut route out some hole on the sides towards the dash to add some 6 1/2" mid woofers, and route holes for cup holders because I had finally recieved the cup holders I wanted put in. He told me to come back in a few hours and we'd fit it again. When I went back, we put it back in, and it fit like a glove from the dash to the seat. I could have made that console 10 times, and never built it as accurate as he did on the first shot. And I'm a VERY meticulous person in my work. He then recommended a local upholstery shop that often did work for him on furniture he made, and that they could probably color match the factory leather and stitching in my truck. So I took it over there, and in another three days, they called me to come by and inspect the work. It was every bit as meticulously done as the console itself. When I finally put it in my truck, it looked like it was a factory console. It was solid, heavy, and sounded incredible once I got the Dayton subwoofer and 6 1/2's installed and wired up. The total cost of that build was $800 after buying the wood. ($500 for the console/sub enclosure, and $300 for the upholstery). Not a bad price considering the workmanship compared to the price of some shoddy prebuilt enclosures and even custom-fit enclosures I had looked at online. And those were just sub enclosures. Mine was a full console on top of that. My buddy bought that truck from me 4 years later and always text me to rub it in that my console was now his. He eventually just sold it about a month ago to a guy who also said he loved the console in it. That console looked just as good on the day he sold it as it did on the day I picked it up from the upholstery shop and installed it. I will probably always regret letting that truck go to someone else with that piece of artwork in it. If I can manage to dig up the pictures of it one day, I'll post 'em up here. It will bring a tear to your eye.

So, the point of that story? With all of the custom cabinet/furniture makers and upholsterers out there, why do people continue to seek out places like DC Creations to build their overpriced enclosure and wrap it in cheap carpet that will fall off, only to end up unhappy in the end? It's really not rocket science to design a sub enclosure to a specific tune. It's mathematics. There are even free/shareware programs that will give you a basic outline that you can alter to fit your particular vehicle. Think outside the box, and find someone who is a master at the craft of woodworking if you don't feel comfortable with building your own enclosure. Just because it's an enclosure for car audio equipment doesn't mean you have to go to someone in the car audio world to build it. Chances are, a cabinet/furniture builder will build your enclosure faster, stronger, better than 99% of the car audio installers will, because cabinet/furniture builders are indeed masters at their carpentry craft, while 99% of car audio guys merely dabble in the trade.

Though, with what else I have also heard about Dustin, he will probably delete this and ban me since apparently he's a mod here. How a vendor is a mod is beyond me, anyway, But, whatever... Even if this helps one other person find another route to a quality product in a timely fashion, then it served its purpose. Dustin's reputation online is already in the dumps anyway, it seems. The funny thing is... I'm from Oklahoma City area, where he is apparently from, and I'd never even heard of him or his business until yesterday when I stumbled upon a DC Creations hate-topic while looking up specs on amps from OKC-based Digital Designs and Sound Qubed.
As far as building a mechanically sound and pretty box a cabinetmaker would be a great choice. For things like knowing different vehicle's acoustics and how various subs actually perform in various alignments real-world in the car takes someone with as much experience in specifically speaker cabinets built for vehicles. Would your cabinet maker know that the difference between firing subs and port forward and subs and port to the side in my Jeep is over 3dB? Not likely, but a guy who has built 1000 boxes would know.

I doubt you'll be banned though. Hopefully he will, but if he never comes back it amounts to the same thing. Really I thought he was one of the more knowledgeable and helpful members here and my vibe is that something in his personal life has prevented him from honoring his obligations. I don't think there was ever a complaint about the quality or performance of his work, but this isn't his first rodeo with not being able to deliver in a timely fashion.

Would love to see pictures of your console though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ATC_DJ

ATC_DJ
Montgomery, AL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
hispls