Where's my box DC Creations?

As far as building a mechanically sound and pretty box a cabinetmaker would be a great choice. For things like knowing different vehicle's acoustics and how various subs actually perform in various alignments real-world in the car takes someone with as much experience in specifically speaker cabinets built for vehicles. Would your cabinet maker know that the difference between firing subs and port forward and subs and port to the side in my Jeep is over 3dB? Not likely, but a guy who has built 1000 boxes would know.
I doubt you'll be banned though. Hopefully he will, but if he never comes back it amounts to the same thing. Really I thought he was one of the more knowledgeable and helpful members here and my vibe is that something in his personal life has prevented him from honoring his obligations. I don't think there was ever a complaint about the quality or performance of his work, but this isn't his first rodeo with not being able to deliver in a timely fashion.

Would love to see pictures of your console though.
My cabinet builder absolutely would not know anything in regards to the physics of tuning. However, what he did was build the most structurally sound enclosure I have ever seen or heard. To the point that when I had a drink in the cup holder, it was barely effected despite a subwoofer being right underneath it. A structurally sound enclosure is half the battle, the tuning is the other half. I have no problem using my prior experience along with calculations, and even software to assist me in achieving the best natural sound. Sometimes the theoretical result doesn't match the real world result, but in this particular case it certainly did. At the same time, I think some audiophiles get so wrapped up in creating the most perfect steril tone, that they completely lose sight of the big picture, which is to enjoy whatever audio you listen to. They constantly pick their system apart, and eventually forget about their aural escape from reality.

Back on topic... I have no doubts that Dustin can probably create some fantastic enclosures from what I've read from people that actually recieved them. What seems to be the problem is his time and business management skills. An incredible enclosure isn't worth a **** if it's never built and delivered. It's also not worth a **** if I can have 4 enclosures built in the time it takes him to respond to a single PM, email, phone call, forum post, message pigeon, flare gun, and any other method his customers have used to try to get a hold of him. If you're going to run a business, then run a business efficiently. If that means hiring more QUALIFIED personnel to keep up with demand, then that's the cost of doing business. Otherwise, bow out, and only do business selectively, and let your customers know that they're in for a hell of a wait time. In this technological and social media day and age, it takes forever to build a good reputation, and mere minutes to earn a bad one. Whatever is going on with this guy, I hope he clears it up, and gets back to being a business owner that a customer can count on.

I'll definitely have do some digging for those pictures. Sadly... I can't even remember the gentleman's last name that built it. We actually didn't interact much through the week that I was having this done. I actually found him through a guy I was working with at the time, because he had built a couple of beautiful custom cabinets for a private jet that was in the hangar at the time. Contacted him, and gave him what I had for design plans, he made his measurements and templates, and knocked it out of the park without my truck even being in his hands. Talent, skill, and experience like that is hard to come by these days.

Gonna be offtopic a bit but i feel like he deserves it. I would like to give a shout out to @Boomsday ; for making a bomb@ss enclosure at a killer price. Very solid enclosure double baffled, made of birch and painted. I had an accident where my car flipped pretty hard and this box survived a roller coaster in my trunk filled with other metal objects and is still working flawlessly with no cracks or air leaks, just minor scuff marks on the corners.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ATC_DJ

ATC_DJ
Montgomery, AL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
hispls