whay to set amp gains at

so even though my speakers are 80w rms, to set the gain on my amps i will want to use a voltage meter on my amps, which my amp is 50 rms @ 4ohms which would put it at an output of 14.1 volts, so is that what i want, what about the 80 rms for the speakers does that even matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
ok my amp is 50 rms and speaker is 80 rms, when setting the gains do i calculate and set voltage for the amp 50 rms or speaker rms 80?

ok my amp is 50 rms and speaker is 80 rms, when setting the gains do i calculate and set voltage for the amp 50 rms or speaker rms 80?
You say the amp puts out 50 watts. So how would you set it to 80 watts? if this is possible please let me know.

so even though my speakers are 80w rms, to set the gain on my amps i will want to use a voltage meter on my amps, which my amp is 50 rms @ 4ohms which would put it at an output of 14.1 volts, so is that what i want, what about the 80 rms for the speakers does that even matter?
you need to get a volt meter and set your gains till they read 14.1 volts. The 50 rms is fine for your 80 rms speakers. This of course is only for your speakers you will need to recalculate the formula again when setting your sub.

I just learned how to do all this myself. I too am a complete noob at car audio but learning and doing it the right way will benefit you far more then just setting your gains by ear or just guessing. I followed the JLaudio gain setting tutorial from their site. Helped me tons. Let us know if you have more questions.

Another thing you will need is test tones to set your gains. If you have an iphone or mp3 player you can always download the tones from iTunes (costs 0.99 a track and you only need 2 [50 hz for the sub and 1Khz for the speakers]) I believe they also have some sites with free downloads but im not sure how good the quality is on them.

Thanks for all the help. I used a 50Hz to set speakers too should I download the 1Khz and re do the speakers.

No I meant do I set it using the amp RMS or the speaker RMS ratings
you set it using the RMS from the amp channel. And yes you should get a 1Khz tone for your front and rear speakers. A 50hz tone is much too low for them to get accurate ratings and you shouldn't have your speakers playing notes that low anyhow. I set everything from my deck which most let you do. Set the Low pass filter on 80Hz and the High pass filter on 80Hz and adjust from there. I personally keep my LPF on 80 and my HPF on 100.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.