Whats exactly wrong with Kicker & JL?

I own a 10w6v2 and love it. (Got a messed-up up one for free, and paid ~160 for a recone) However, I would have went with a DC level 3 sub if I had to buy new.

I have never heard a level 3 but I like how it models in software I trust. (In my application, it was a little louder than the W6 above 40hz and equal below that)

But 160-ish for a "new again" W6v2 with factory warranty was a better deal to me at the time. (Still want to get a level 3 at some point to hear one)

I own a 10w6v2 and love it. (Got a messed-up up one for free, and paid ~160 for a recone) However, I would have went with a DC level 3 sub if I had to buy new.
I have never heard a level 3 but I like how it models in software I trust. (In my application, it was a little louder than the W6 above 40hz and equal below that)

But 160-ish for a "new again" W6v2 with factory warranty was a better deal to me at the time. (Still want to get a level 3 at some point to hear one)
you sound about like me. Thats probably what I would have chosen too, but I really wanna get my hands on a DC lvl3 at some point.

Ya ive given up on even engaging people on this topic anymore... everyone has different preferences, and essentially thats what it comes down too. Ive had tons of JL Audio stuff over the last 15 years and ive always been pleased. Still have a 12w0 thats ran hard for about 10 years. Ive tried tons of other stuff, my customer loyalty has paid off to a local store and they give me great prices on anything. Im looking into trying a AQ 15 or maybe ID or Sundown soon. My problem is the joke of customer reviews on ssa's website... seriously its kinda discouraging me to buy from them. All the customer reviews on the products are some made up nonsense... not sure what the goal was there on new customers to the site.

I'll say I ran my CVXs for about 4 years in my car. I really liked them. I had them in a huge ported box (4.5 cubes net @ 31 Hz) and a smaller sealed enclosure (2.5 cubes net). They got plenty loud in the ported box and decently loud and cleaner in the sealed box. Because I plan on starting to compete in SQ next year, I decided to ditch them for something a little more SQ oriented. I picked up a set of Tidal Audio REF-TM12.4 subs OEMed by Image Dynamics. They're identical to the ID12V3D4 subs. I wish I went with something like this from the beginning. I'm running my amp on a 4 ohm load now rather than a 2 ohm load and I've turned it down quite a bit for the new subs. On about half the power, they're almost as loud if I crank it. At normal levels, they blend extremely well with my front stage and are infinitely more musical than the CVXs. They fill in the very little bit of bottom end my TS-C720PRS comps don't play. Did my CVXs do that? Kind of. Are the $80 Tidal Audio subs better at it? Most definitely. Do I regret starting off with Kicker? No. If I didn't start with them, I may never have started at all. I may wish I started with something different, but every mistake is a learning experience.

I'll say I ran my CVXs for about 4 years in my car. I really liked them. I had them in a huge ported box (4.5 cubes net @ 31 Hz) and a smaller sealed enclosure (2.5 cubes net). They got plenty loud in the ported box and decently loud and cleaner in the sealed box. Because I plan on starting to compete in SQ next year, I decided to ditch them for something a little more SQ oriented. I picked up a set of Tidal Audio REF-TM12.4 subs OEMed by Image Dynamics. They're identical to the ID12V3D4 subs. I wish I went with something like this from the beginning. I'm running my amp on a 4 ohm load now rather than a 2 ohm load and I've turned it down quite a bit for the new subs. On about half the power, they're almost as loud if I crank it. At normal levels, they blend extremely well with my front stage and are infinitely more musical than the CVXs. They fill in the very little bit of bottom end my TS-C720PRS comps don't play. Did my CVXs do that? Kind of. Are the $80 Tidal Audio subs better at it? Most definitely. Do I regret starting off with Kicker? No. If I didn't start with them, I may never have started at all. I may wish I started with something different, but every mistake is a learning experience.
exactly, every subs has its purpose.

how much power you giving those Premiers? and where do you cross em?

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Ya ive given up on even engaging people on this topic anymore... everyone has different preferences, and essentially thats what it comes down too. Ive had tons of JL Audio stuff over the last 15 years and ive always been pleased. Still have a 12w0 thats ran hard for about 10 years. Ive tried tons of other stuff, my customer loyalty has paid off to a local store and they give me great prices on anything. Im looking into trying a AQ 15 or maybe ID or Sundown soon. My problem is the joke of customer reviews on ssa's website... seriously its kinda discouraging me to buy from them. All the customer reviews on the products are some made up nonsense... not sure what the goal was there on new customers to the site.
i remember seeing you get into it with people over the JL audio thing lol

links to said nonsense reviews? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

exactly, every subs has its purpose.
how much power you giving those Premiers? and where do you cross em?
Depending on what I'm listening to, I have them high passed 80 Hz with a 24 dB/Oct. slope and low passed at 2.5 kHz (ugh, I'm not sure on the slope). I'm giving them about 100 RMS per mid. My MRV-F345 benched at 105 RMS per channel. I used to run the high pass lower than that, and they'll take it, I just feel more comfortable with it set a little higher. My subs are low passed at 40 Hz with a 12 dB/Oct. slope. With a low crossover point, it makes it difficult to localize the sub.

I don't understand what drives the audio hipsters/elitists/snobs/haters/etc. to subscribe to their particular philosophies. I love good sound no matter the tag's name.

I have a pair of Kenwood shallow 12s that sound EXCELLENT in every way, but nobody likes Kenwood (Some of their subs are lame, but some aren't at all).

My wife has 2 Kicker amps, and they are built like tanks, efficient, and sound great. Same with her CVR 15 in 3.5 cubes sealed and stuffed with poly. It's a bit thin on the low lows, but it models sweet in a low tuned ported box. I'll build a big low tuned box for it if she ever gets a SUV. I like my JBL Power 12 better, but a lot of that is that I like its response curve better in the box I designed for it. Nonetheless, the CVR 15 is a monster off just a Kicker ZX500.1, which likewise is a monster itself for a 500 watt amp.

As for JL, yea, I concur with the rest. Nice equipment. Too much dollars. No sale for me in most cases, unless I ever happened across a pair of W6s for a good price, but the JBL just won't die, despite a brutally tortured life early on before it got commissioned to SQ duty, so that may be a while...

I'll go ahead and add that I love me some JBL and Boston Acoustics, and yep, they get hated on too, but you know...

* end cool story *

Depending on what I'm listening to, I have them high passed 80 Hz with a 24 dB/Oct. slope and low passed at 2.5 kHz (ugh, I'm not sure on the slope). I'm giving them about 100 RMS per mid. My MRV-F345 benched at 105 RMS per channel. I used to run the high pass lower than that, and they'll take it, I just feel more comfortable with it set a little higher. My subs are low passed at 40 Hz with a 12 dB/Oct. slope. With a low crossover point, it makes it difficult to localize the sub.
I'm running the TS D1720C mid as dedicated midbass on about 125wrms down to 63hz (100hz if I feel like cranking it) 18db slope with my subs picking up from 63hz down no SSF. How would you compare the midbass on the premier set and the D series? i like the midbass of the ones i have now but i really wanna reach a little lower with more impact. Thinking i might just have to do the work for 8s.

SN: try inverting your subs, you can prob do it straight from your HU, dont ask me to explain why, but i was playing around with and I promise you my subs became waaaay more difficult to localize. it almost sounds like the sub is under my hood.

I don't understand what drives the audio hipsters/elitists/snobs/haters/etc. to subscribe to their particular philosophies. I love good sound no matter the tag's name.
I have a pair of Kenwood shallow 12s that sound EXCELLENT in every way, but nobody likes Kenwood (Some of their subs are lame, but some aren't at all).

My wife has 2 Kicker amps, and they are built like tanks, efficient, and sound great. Same with her CVR 15 in 3.5 cubes sealed and stuffed with poly. It's a bit thin on the low lows, but it models sweet in a low tuned ported box. I'll build a big low tuned box for it if she ever gets a SUV. I like my JBL Power 12 better, but a lot of that is that I like its response curve better in the box I designed for it. Nonetheless, the CVR 15 is a monster off just a Kicker ZX500.1, which likewise is a monster itself for a 500 watt amp.

As for JL, yea, I concur with the rest. Nice equipment. Too much dollars. No sale for me in most cases, unless I ever happened across a pair of W6s for a good price, but the JBL just won't die despite a brutally tortured life early on before it got commisioned to SQ duty, so that may be a while...

I'll go ahead and add that I love me some JBL and Boston Acoustics, and yep, they get hated on too, but you know...

* end cool story *
if theres any brand anyone can say I "nuthug" its Boston Acoustics! i dont care what anyone says, they make a great product and IMO, the prices are very good.

as for amps, as you can see from my sig, I run a Kicker and BA amp. I dont trust too many amps especially after having a Hifonics Brutus that ran hotter than a prostitute's cooch. So I stick with mainstream on my amps, thats just me.

I keep hearing more and more about JBL...just cant find a place to put any in my build though....

I have the 1720 comps in my Jeep. I play them down to 80 Hz as well on about the same power as in my Caprice. They're not quite as clean as the 720PRS mids, but they're still nice. The 720PRS mids will definitely play lower, cleaner given the opportunity. As far as "inverting" the sub from the HU, you're actually just reversing the polarity. This helps with phase issues.

i remember seeing you get into it with people over the JL audio thing lollinks to said nonsense reviews? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Sundown Audio SA-12 600 watt sub woofer

my mistake, its more directly on some sundown audio stuff on there site. look at reviews on that page i linked, just an example im not sure why they would keep those on there.

So often, people will start a thread about whether to get this Kicker/JL sub or not? But, almost everytime, someone will say how overrated both of them are and that you shouldnt even consider them and I'm just wondering if anyone has actual valid reasons as to why or are they just apart of the bandwagon that thinks anything sold in typical audio stores is garbage?
With Kicker, the way I see it, Kicker Amps do rated and then some...always have yet somehow brands like Audiopipe get recommended over Kicker even when the buyer has it within his means monetarily to buy a better amp.

Their subs will take their rated power and will get loud probably not the best sounding but neither are some of the other subs people will recommend very readily.

I can understand the want to keep people from thinking Kicker is the end-all of the audio industry, but thats no reason to give eveyone the impression that they are not good at all.

As far as JL Audio, all I ever see is "overrated, overpriced". While, JL can be crazy with their pricing, the online prices you can find on some JL stuff is actually not bad. Also, its well known, whether you admit it or not that the w6 is a force to be reckoned with for SQ purposes. Not the loudest subs but I cannot say I have ever heard a bad sounding JL sub. Their amps also do rated power cleanly! and people will recommend Hertz which is also overpriced but simply call it "pricey".

Maybe i'm missing something but I honestly dont see how Kicker or JL deserve the bad rep they receive on forums. For noobs to audio (I am no expert by any means) its very misleading actually. What gives?

Sorry if this is a little incoherent, typed from my phone.

Cliffs:

I would like to know if anyone has actual valid reasons as to why Kicker or JL Audio are just soooo horrible and shouldnt even be considered?
I praise you sir, for supporting the use of the Dayton's HO. They are an amazing sub!!!

I have the 1720 comps in my Jeep. I play them down to 80 Hz as well on about the same power as in my Caprice. They're not quite as clean as the 720PRS mids, but they're still nice. The 720PRS mids will definitely play lower, cleaner given the opportunity. As far as "inverting" the sub from the HU, you're actually just reversing the polarity. This helps with phase issues.
well i knew that much //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nerd.gif.c6fa51ddf7ff75f1c0371fbc648f70ae.gif i think im gonna search around for a pair of the premier midbasses and see if they will do what I want.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.