Whats exactly wrong with Kicker & JL?

Why So Cereal?
5,000+ posts

Invisible Cereal
So often, people will start a thread about whether to get this Kicker/JL sub or not? But, almost everytime, someone will say how overrated both of them are and that you shouldnt even consider them and I'm just wondering if anyone has actual valid reasons as to why or are they just apart of the bandwagon that thinks anything sold in typical audio stores is garbage?

With Kicker, the way I see it, Kicker Amps do rated and then some...always have yet somehow brands like Audiopipe get recommended over Kicker even when the buyer has it within his means monetarily to buy a better amp.

Their subs will take their rated power and will get loud probably not the best sounding but neither are some of the other subs people will recommend very readily.

I can understand the want to keep people from thinking Kicker is the end-all of the audio industry, but thats no reason to give eveyone the impression that they are not good at all.

As far as JL Audio, all I ever see is "overrated, overpriced". While, JL can be crazy with their pricing, the online prices you can find on some JL stuff is actually not bad. Also, its well known, whether you admit it or not that the w6 is a force to be reckoned with for SQ purposes. Not the loudest subs but I cannot say I have ever heard a bad sounding JL sub. Their amps also do rated power cleanly! and people will recommend Hertz which is also overpriced but simply call it "pricey".

Maybe i'm missing something but I honestly dont see how Kicker or JL deserve the bad rep they receive on forums. For noobs to audio (I am no expert by any means) its very misleading actually. What gives?

Sorry if this is a little incoherent, typed from my phone.

Cliffs:

I would like to know if anyone has actual valid reasons as to why Kicker or JL Audio are just soooo horrible and shouldnt even be considered?

Its simple really. Kicker your paying for the name. Sure their amps do rated power, but for a 2500wrms amp you pay $670 online price. An Audioque 2200 goes for $429.00. Dang near the same wattage rms for $240 less.

JL audio same thing. You pay for the name. There are plenty of subs out there that crush the W6 and W7 in SQ and output for a fraction of the cost. Anything TC based for example unless you get way up into the custom LMS 18's and stuff. Their amps are the same way. 1000wrms (Slash 1000/1) for $600? Dont think so. You can get an equal or better amp for half that price.

Point being you can get equal or better gear for less. The only thing you pay for is the badge.

I think kicker is great for people starting out their systems no hate there. Jl I have always liked too just is soo expensive but, I have always wanted a w7 would trade my xl for one lol. Most people hate the bandwagon brands.

Its simple really. Kicker your paying for the name. Sure their amps do rated power, but for a 2500wrms amp you pay $670 online price. An Audioque 2200 goes for $429.00. Dang near the same wattage rms for $240 less.
JL audio same thing. You pay for the name. There are plenty of subs out there that crush the W6 and W7 in SQ and output for a fraction of the cost. Anything TC based for example unless you get way up into the custom LMS 18's and stuff. Their amps are the same way. 1000wrms (Slash 1000/1) for $600? Dont think so. You can get an equal or better amp for half that price.

Point being you can get equal or better gear for less. The only thing you pay for is the badge.
Good points. i will agree that in some cases, you can get more for the money at times but that still doesnt explain why people will make it seem like their products are inferior to others.

btw, i'm not criticizing anyone for their opinions or anything just honest curiosity //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Good points. i will agree that in some cases, you can get more for the money at times but that still doesnt explain why people will make it seem like their products are inferior to others.
btw, i'm not criticizing anyone for their opinions or anything just honest curiosity //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Kicker amps arent inferior. The subs are something to be desired unless you go with their highest series (Solo X, L7, etc.)

JL amps are good pretty much all around. Even their OEM brand TMA (Total Mobile Audio) is pretty good.

The prices are what makes them inferior.

1. Nutthugers - There are too many people who hate on 99% of mainstream brands, simply because they're mainstream.

2. The people who use it - There aren't too many people over the web who do it, but locally I've had terrible experiences with people who run Kicker, as well as other brands. It's made me dislike those brands much more because there are too many douchebags who think their brand is better than everything else, and are ignorant to any advice regarding their system.

3. The products themselves - Price to performance ratio, customer service and quality all matter here. Kickers subs get loud, but they also need a huge box. They also don't like seeing twice their rated power lol, a lot of people like to over power what they have. Their amps are efficient, but for the price you can get something much better. Add in the customer service compared to Sundown or DC, and there you have it.

They don't deserve ALL the hate they get. I guess the biggest problem I have with them, along with JL especially, are the people who locally run them and want to fight me when I try to explain how other non mainstream brands are better in certain ways.

I think kicker is great for people starting out their systems no hate there. Jl I have always liked too just is soo expensive but, I have always wanted a w7 would trade my xl for one lol. Most people hate the bandwagon brands.
i agree Kicker can be great for starter. even some vets use it. I just always wonder why, when a person comes on the forum and even mention Kicker its nothing but a bunch of "Kicker is garbage" type mentalities. then, you have the people you simply come on here and read that go telling everyone else how Kicker ***** yet they dont even know why people diss it.

I, too, am a JL fan, but would never pay full price for any of it (but i dont pay full price for anything //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ) but i also would never turn anyway away from JL if its what they chose. I too would love to own a w7.

Kicker amps arent inferior. The subs are something to be desired unless you go with their highest series (Solo X, L7, etc.) JL amps are good pretty much all around. Even their OEM brand TMA (Total Mobile Audio) is pretty good.

The prices are what makes them inferior.
i can respect that

I have heard bad sounding JL setups I had one. 2 WX 12s. The only good things JL has are the high line stuff W6 W7 and / HD amps. Oh anf the ZRs. When you start comparing other gear in those price ranges it really opens up.

kicker- Decent amps, Subs IMHO **** horse nuts.

You know I'm a JL fan. Sure the prices are insane if you just walk into a shop off the street but online prices, or if you know a dealer personally, aren't too horrendous. I also like Kicker amps pretty well, though not a huge fan of their subs. I think most people who know what they're talking about will have a more moderate stance. Some people just hate on em. Also TC based subs do not "crush" w6's in SQ.

1. Nutthugers - There are too many people who hate on 99% of mainstream brands, simply because they're mainstream.
agreed

2. The people who use it - There aren't too many people over the web who do it, but locally I've had terrible experiences with people who run Kicker, as well as other brands. It's made me dislike those brands much more because there are too many douchebags who think their brand is better than everything else, and are ignorant to any advice regarding their system.

so have I and I can see how it makes you want to take something they've never heard of and kick their ***! so I can understand that as well.

3. The products themselves - Price to performance ratio, customer service and quality all matter here. Kickers subs get loud, but they also need a huge box. They also don't like seeing twice their rated power lol, a lot of people like to over power what they have. Their amps are efficient, but for the price you can get something much better. Add in the customer service compared to Sundown or DC, and there you have it.

I've had good experience with Kickers customer service, also with sundown and DC too. less than good with Fi. I've also had good results with Kicker subs. I felt $75 for each sub that took their power without a sweat and got pretty loud was a good deal. As far as the rated power thing, thats very easily a marketing scheme. If you rate a sub for 250 rms knowing it will take 500 rms, it looks way better than a sub rated at 500 rms that takes 500rms.

They don't deserve ALL the hate they get. I guess the biggest problem I have with them, along with JL especially, are the people who locally run them and want to fight me when I try to explain how other non mainstream brands are better in certain ways.
I can see the nuthuggery getting a bit annoying for sure. But some people come on the forum honestly looking for answers about their kicker or JL and are simply told "you made a stupid choice, sell it all and get what i say" and i personally think that is just idiotic!

You know I'm a JL fan. Sure the prices are insane if you just walk into a shop off the street but online prices, or if you know a dealer personally, aren't too horrendous. I also like Kicker amps pretty well, though not a huge fan of their subs. I think most people who know what they're talking about will have a more moderate stance. Some people just hate on em. Also TC based subs do not "crush" w6's in SQ.
my thoughts exactly!

I can see the nuthuggery getting a bit annoying for sure. But some people come on the forum honestly looking for answers about their kicker or JL and are simply told "you made a stupid choice, sell it all and get what i say" and i personally think that is just idiotic!
this is normally said when somebodys goal outways their choice in gear

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.