What's a sufficient electrical plan to support 3k?

I'm in the process of piecing a 3k set-up together. This plan is in its infancy. I'm doing my electrical upgrades before getting any audio equipment. I want a decent electrical plan that support 3k sufficiently.

My current plan for audio equipment is a taramps smart 3 pushing one 12" sub. Possibly an IA death penalty, or something from Fi, maybe even a two 10" set-up with Adire Tumults. Front stage will possibly have a small amp as well. Nothing's written in stone at this point.

So far the only electrical products I know I need to buy is an H.O. alt, big 3, and a nice agm battery. I know that's not enough, but I'm not even sure how much a 3k set-up requires to start with. My budget's not unlimited, but I want a solid set-up. Any suggestions on how much power I need would be great appreciated.

I'd love to design you a box for this. What vehicle?

I would at least get the biggest single alt you can fit. Duals would really be optimal, amp fusing + factory alt rating for total alt amperage is ideal IMO. Do a good AGM under the hood and I'd do at least one 100 ah in the back. Depends on how much alt power you have.

I would run 2 runs of 0 gauge for power, and I always match a ground run from the front battery to the back. So I'd do 2 runs of 0 gauge for ground too and just skip grounding to the frame. That's my personal preferences.

It comes down to time verses money.

More time (or enjoy PITA projects): upgrade alternator, put new battery with max cranking amps under the hood, and install multiple runs of heavy wire to the amp.

More money (or just want to swipe your card and get it done): upgrade alternator and add a JY Power HP-40 (or similar) close to the amp.

I was running a 2.5k-3k amp (Orion XTR2500.1dz) with a brand new AGM battery, 320a alternator, 1/0 big 3, and one run of 1/0 to the amp (chassis ground). My amp regularly shut off from low voltage. I upgraded to a 5kw amp (Orion HCCA5000.1dv2) and added a JY HP40 and didn't change anything else, and my amp doesn't shut off and my headlights don't even dim. It's a $850 battery, but for me it was easier to write the check than it was to crawl under my vehicle and find a way to route another run of 1/0 wire.

Disclaimer: I'm not supported by JY in any way; I bought one of their products and it has served me well, so I'm suggesting it.

I have had a Brazilian 3k and 4 channel in my daily for years with an added tiny AGM in rear on stock alt. I will get drops to 12.5ish but I am just fine with that as I'm not going HO alt on this car for a small daily setup and don't care about numbers.

A decent AGM and big 3 will be enough unless you want a constant 14+ volts 24/7.

If you need more amperage then look into an alt.

I have had a Brazilian 3k and 4 channel in my daily for years with an added tiny AGM in rear on stock alt. I will get drops to 12.5ish but I am just fine with that as I'm not going HO alt on this car for a small daily setup and don't care about numbers.

A decent AGM and big 3 will be enough unless you want a constant 14+ volts 24/7.

If you need more amperage then look into an alt.
How long have you had the AGM? Doesn’t the low voltage hurt the battery and shorten the life?

The problem is you want SPL wattage but for daily usage. You can buy 10,000 watts worth of amps but if your entire car is shaking on 800 watts then how much power do you actually really need ?

If your not competing then I would do anything greater then a mid tier aftermarket alt with an AGM under the hood and big 3. Any more than that is a waste (to be honest if your stock alt is decent you might even get away with just a really big AGM under the hood)

The problem is you want SPL wattage but for daily usage. You can buy 10,000 watts worth of amps but if your entire car is shaking on 800 watts then how much power do you actually really need ?

If your not competing then I would do anything greater then a mid tier aftermarket alt with an AGM under the hood and big 3. Any more than that is a waste (to be honest if your stock alt is decent you might even get away with just a really big AGM under the hood)

Everyone has different daily preferences. I personally wish my 147db system was louder for daily listening.

I guess I was over planning in the electrical department. The 250 amp alt, big 3, big amg, and heavy wiring sounds like it might take care of things. I usually don't have my system up that loud anyway. But I want the power there for show and tell with my friends. Lol.

Yeah its dependant on the person. He wants a daily setup with good sound but wants SPL level wattage. His car is so damn small that a single 12 ported on even 1000 watts would turn his car into a tin can.
What do you guys define as a daily system specifically? Since I’ll be running 2 - HD 3Ks for the Mids, 1 - 1200.4, & 1 Smart 3K but don’t do comps that’s considered daily? Even if when I listen to my music I almost always have it cranked to the highest volume possible?

What do you guys define as a daily system specifically?
SPL systems the main focus is being as loud as physically possible, especially the substage portion. Daily the main focus is having a well rounded setup that sounds good. Quality over quanity in a daily (daily setups you'll see strong emphasis on tuning, DSPs, running speakers active, proper sound deadening.....ect)

I guess I was over planning in the electrical department. The 250 amp alt, big 3, big amg, and heavy wiring sounds like it might take care of things. I usually don't have my system up that loud anyway. But I want the power there for show and tell with my friends. Lol.

For what it’s worth, I had a 2000.4, 1200.4 & 3K.1 running off a 100ah AGM and Big 3. Lights never dimmed and I never saw any type of strain on my electrical except for corrosion that built on my battery post in the hood. And I would drive about 1-3 hours mon - fri with my music cranked to the max volume did that for a little over a year till I sold everything

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.