What sub for 90% SQ, but will get obnoxious when need be..on CAB 1600

Ktmrider

Current setup is a sealed 8w7 on 450watts. Was going to get a dedicated sub amp instead of the 5th channel of my PDX5.. but I feel like the sub is pretty much maxed..anyways

Goal: Keep SQ of current sub but be able to get a little crazy when need be.

01 Silverado Extended Cab with center console box

Box D: 13.75" wide Sub facing back so max sub 12"

15" tall

36" long max internal volume=3.3ft.

Will a ported box be difficult to design with sub and port facing back? 36" is max length, it can be shortened if needed but 13.75" and 15" are fixed..

Thanks

Yep, that's def the cheapest option.. it was in a prefab box before ported and did put out quite a bit more. It didn't fit under the rear seat though and wanted to try sealed...sounds good but not too much deep bass

Yep, that's def the cheapest option.. it was in a prefab box before ported and did put out quite a bit more. It didn't fit under the rear seat though and wanted to try sealed...sounds good but not too much deep bass
How much space do you have? If you are about sound quality you should own some processing or EQ, just about any driver can do well in such a narrow bandwidth with a little EQ and decent box. Also be aware centrally located sub in a vehicle is less than optimum for getting loud, in a rear corner would be best for loud.

That all said, if you want to audition new equipment look into the JBL Wgti series. They're know to be excellent sounding and can take some power and get loud, mounting depth may be a challenge though.

What are the specs of the current box? You could potentially go bigger with the sealed box and extended the output a bit lower. But if your wanting it to be lower AND louder you will need to go ported.

I'm not willing to sacrifice under rear seat space as I use it for tools and dogs haha. Space is stated in first post.

Current box has 3 separate chambers. In front near footwell 2 8" peerless sls mids. Rear facing towards back seat 8w7 1.1ft net. Mids have about the same.

I measured again and if I want to keep the mids sealed off in the box I would be left with about 2.7ft gross..

u can make about any 12 work in less than 3 cf, idk about down firing sun and port could u fire sub down port to back? i'm looking at fi alpha $149 made in us 600rms but has 3" coil, or nvx vcw 3" coil 1k rms $179, others may say idq.. trucks normally peeps with trucks want smaller amps that cab is large., my ppi p1k $169 tested at 1162 rms @1ohm very small..

I really didn't do much research about soundstage and all but I'm running mids at 50hz on 12db slope up to 160hz 12db slope and they sound good.. I have them on only 50watts (8ohm) and they sound ok but really come alive off my sub channel..450 mono 8ohm in parallel so they were seeing 225w a piece and they crank

sound stage seperates actual SQ from the guy that just wants loud and clear.

Basically you can see every musician, instrument on your dash like its a real live performance. If the singer moves to the left or right you'll see through hearing. Loud and clean is easy. Soundstage is next level stuff thats actually SQ.

I appreciate everyone's help, for now I am going to take Hertz Mafias advice and port the 8w7
yeah if u port it with same amp u have be louder and much deeper i would think, and i would guess port rear would be best if down firing sub

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.