What should my voltage be when my car is running...

danielbea122

CarAudio.com VIP
Jul 29, 2019
Tampa
What should my voltage be when my car is running after heating up?

I have a Northstar group 35 under the hood and a kinetik 2400 in the trunk.

Ripkon

CarAudio.com Well Known
Apr 11, 2019
Virginia
Depends. my 2005 Ford is pcm regulated, so I depends on the temperature outside. I usually get around 13.8 when its 80-90 degrees. I only had 13.2 in NC last week end at the sundown audio show

OP
danielbea122

danielbea122

CarAudio.com VIP
Jul 29, 2019
Tampa
Depends. my 2005 Ford is pcm regulated, so I depends on the temperature outside. I usually get around 13.8 when its 80-90 degrees. I only had 13.2 in NC last week end at the sundown audio show
12.7 today at 95 degrees. I live in Tampa so ac is a must

OP
danielbea122

danielbea122

CarAudio.com VIP
Jul 29, 2019
Tampa
Well I guess I will order the alternator

Also my voltage meter is hooked up to the amp should I be testing the battery voltage directly or is the amp ok?

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
Jan 22, 2010
Florida
Break out the multi meter.

If your fuse is blown to your rear battery and your volt meter is hooked to your amp you are only going to be reading rear battery voltage. Hook the multimeter up to the alternator post and read voltage.

OP
danielbea122

danielbea122

CarAudio.com VIP
Jul 29, 2019
Tampa
Break out the multi meter.

If your fuse is blown to your rear battery and your volt meter is hooked to your amp you are only going to be reading rear battery voltage. Hook the multimeter up to the alternator post and read voltage.
Apparently I am supposed to calibrate this little soundqubed voltage meter which I didn't do so that might be a problem

OP
danielbea122

danielbea122

CarAudio.com VIP
Jul 29, 2019
Tampa
I highly doubt it would be off that much.
Well last night the voltage was 12.7 and this morning it is 13.7 I guess that's from the heat.

Either way I'm going to order a 250a ho alt from singer as soon as he answer my questions and sends an invoice

Reactions: Ripkon

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
MA
Well last night the voltage was 12.7 and this morning it is 13.7 I guess that's from the heat.

Either way I'm going to order a 250a ho alt from singer as soon as he answer my questions and sends an invoice
see:
A new alternator want give you more voltage if its PCM regulated
You need to make sure singer gives you an alternator that is not PCM regulated and gives you a bypass kit for your specific vehicle. You will come back and complain in a week about voltage if you do not do this

Reactions: Ripkon
OP
danielbea122

danielbea122

CarAudio.com VIP
Jul 29, 2019
Tampa
see:

You need to make sure singer gives you an alternator that is not PCM regulated and gives you a bypass kit for your specific vehicle. You will come back and complain in a week about voltage if you do not do this
My voltage at the main battery was 13.9 and 12.7 at the rear kinetik when it was 93 degrees outside after driving for a couple hours.

Guy at the battery shop said it's fine for now. My alternator has 90k miles on it so I'm ordering the new one.

I sent singer the model number off my alternator and he knows what car I have so hopefully he will know what I need exactly. Seems like he is trusted around here.

OP
danielbea122

danielbea122

CarAudio.com VIP
Jul 29, 2019
Tampa
My alternator is in fact regulated

From singer:
"If you have the 2 wire plug (I do) called LIN bus ideally we need to stay on that plug. The bigger alt will stiffen voltage the way it should, that regulator design just does not allow us to achieve a higher voltage set point"

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
May 27, 2015
irvine, ca
My alternator is in fact regulated

From singer:
"If you have the 2 wire plug (I do) called LIN bus ideally we need to stay on that plug. The bigger alt will stiffen voltage the way it should, that regulator design just does not allow us to achieve a higher voltage set point"
What is the year and model of your vehicle?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds