What makes a subwoofer louder?

HDS and HDC will work in the same enclosure. Assuming you don't plan to get an HO alt and a few more batts, then get the HDS subs and be happy with it. Going to HDC's alone will not be much of a difference. You will need more power also which will require stronger electrical.

I run 2 SDC15's off an AQ1200 in the wifey's minivan, it's rather loud for a budget set up and stepping up would require electrical upgrades I don't feel like doing....

HDS and HDC will work in the same enclosure. Assuming you don't plan to get an HO alt and a few more batts, then get the HDS subs and be happy with it. Going to HDC's alone will not be much of a difference. You will need more power also which will require stronger electrical.
I run 2 SDC15's off an AQ1200 in the wifey's minivan, it's rather loud for a budget set up and stepping up would require electrical upgrades I don't feel like doing....
Thanks....Yea I dnt want to do much more thn upgrade batt an do big3. Im still paying for my car, so dnt wan'a go all out just in case life hppens

I figured all that....So is it possible i could get a HDC spec box, throw HDS's in it an up grade as time goes on? Or should i just do 2 separate SubAmpBox set ups hahaha
All these people telling you not to do the HDC3s on that 2200...I would. Just because it would "laugh" at that amount of power doesn't mean a **** thing. Would still be loud as hell and wang for days

All these people telling you not to do the HDC3s on that 2200...I would. Just because it would "laugh" at that amount of power doesn't mean a **** thing. Would still be loud as hell and wang for days
So its not worth the HDC's unless i get another amp an do some power upgrades? Im fine with that, jus dont wan'a dream bigger than i need to....

So its not worth the HDC's unless i get another amp an do some power upgrades? Im fine with that, jus dont wan'a dream bigger than i need to....
it is worth it. Save up and get the HDC3s now. Even if you do or don't upgrade power, the HDC3s are a considerable upgrade from the HDS3s. And when you get bit by that upgrade bug in the future, (AND YOU WILL), you won't have to worry about upgrading subs as they can take up to 2.5 - 3k rms cleanly.

It's a no brainer. They would be louder than the HDS3 on lower power, and when you start upping power, it's no contest. I mean it's really up to you

it is worth it. Save up and get the HDC3s now. Even if you do or don't upgrade power, the HDC3s are a considerable upgrade from the HDS3s. And when you get bit by that upgrade bug in the future, (AND YOU WILL), you won't have to worry about upgrading subs as they can take up to 2.5 - 3k rms cleanly.
It's a no brainer. They would be louder than the HDS3 on lower power, and when you start upping power, it's no contest. I mean it's really up to you
OK....Well I'l focus on a box then, i dont trust any local shops (SoCal). Iv heard people on here design make an ship boxes, any recommends?

OP said he had a 1500 and did NOT want to upgrade electrical. A 2200 really needs more then BIG3/diff batt up front.

Have you done a drop in test: HDC vs HDS? I haven't personally but I know how the older SDC compared to the HDC and up to about 2kw clamped the SDC was louder. I'm betting the HDS is the same way....

If money is tight (which it is for just about all of us) you can go ahead and run the HDS subs with one amp for now and then up the ante to the HDCs and another amp in the future. As far as the box is concerned, you could have it built for the big subs and run the small ones in it until you upgrade, with no ill effects.

The main thing to worry about between those two subs is port area. The HDC has a LOT more xmax than the HDS so even though they'll fire in the same size box, the big boy won't do well with port area designed for the smaller. However, the smaller subs will be okay with more port area than they need so long as you don't hit them with too much power.

If you're interested in a box, I can build and ship whatever you need. Here's a link to some of my work:

https://www.facebook.com/AudioAnarchyLLC

OP said he had a 1500 and did NOT want to upgrade electrical. A 2200 really needs more then BIG3/diff batt up front.
Have you done a drop in test: HDC vs HDS? I haven't personally but I know how the older SDC compared to the HDC and up to about 2kw clamped the SDC was louder. I'm betting the HDS is the same way....
I used the 1500w as example. I shud have jus say'd 2200, but thats about the just if it. Do i get the 2200 an 2 HDS's then upgrade to 2 2200's an 2 HDC's? If i need more electrical then il have to settle for the HDS's until im ready for all that. I dnt plan on competing but i do wan'a flex my car a lil....

If money is tight (which it is for just about all of us) you can go ahead and run the HDS subs with one amp for now and then up the ante to the HDCs and another amp in the future. As far as the box is concerned, you could have it built for the big subs and run the small ones in it until you upgrade, with no ill effects.
The main thing to worry about between those two subs is port area. The HDC has a LOT more xmax than the HDS so even though they'll fire in the same size box, the big boy won't do well with port area designed for the smaller. However, the smaller subs will be okay with more port area than they need so long as you don't hit them with too much power.

If you're interested in a box, I can build and ship whatever you need. Here's a link to some of my work:

https://www.facebook.com/AudioAnarchyLLC
So the only main diff in the boxes would jus be port area? Does the larger HDC port area "tune" the HDS's lower or make them sloppy at all?

What if i were to go with Aero Ports?

Last edited by a moderator:
So the only main diff in the boxes would jus be port area? Does the larger HDC port area "tune" the HDS's lower or make them sloppy at all?
What if i were to go with Aero Ports?
Tuning has to do with the box, not the subs. Once the box is built and tuned, it will be that tuning regardless of the sub(s) you put in it. And the only worry you'd have with putting a lower xmax sub in a box with a lot of port area would be the subs unloading. But we're not talking about a huge disparity so that's not a worry in this instance.

I used the 1500w as example. I shud have jus say'd 2200, but thats about the just if it. Do i get the 2200 an 2 HDS's then upgrade to 2 2200's an 2 HDC's? If i need more electrical then il have to settle for the HDS's until im ready for all that. I dnt plan on competing but i do wan'a flex my car a lil....
If you plan is to end up with 2 2200's/2HDC's, then get the HDC's now and run them off a single 2200...

Tuning has to do with the box, not the subs. Once the box is built and tuned, it will be that tuning regardless of the sub(s) you put in it. And the only worry you'd have with putting a lower xmax sub in a box with a lot of port area would be the subs unloading. But we're not talking about a huge disparity so that's not a worry in this instance.
If you plan is to end up with 2 2200's/2HDC's, then get the HDC's now and run them off a single 2200...
So with upgrading seeming to be a no no, i got a dum idea.

If the box had separate chambers, can i get 1 sub amp an battery @ a time? Hahaha i just had to ask....

My issuation is that il be building $2-400 @ a time. And in total il need about 2.5-3k. Shud i just be humble an save til Christmas?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.