Who Makes Built to Order Shipped Boxes

Blackout67

CarAudio.com Regular
Ohio
My Stereo Integrity SQL12 came in the other day and I'm tryna get a box built for it. The car audio scene isn't that big here around Cincinnati so there isn't many good shops that won't price gouge you. Had a quote for $250 for a .8 cubes sealed box bare wood double baffled. And that's pickup no shipping included.

Anyone know any shops or private builders that could do that for me? Not tryna spend more than $175 shipped. I know that a lot of time and effort goes into building boxes, as I've build a few but I don't think I can justify spending that much on a tiny box.

I don't have a garage or saw anymore so I guess worst case scenario I can tip a worker at Lowe's to do my cuts and I will glue it together in my buddies garage. Just not trying to spend $70 on MDF that I'm probably only gonna use a quarter of the sheet and then find somewhere to store the unused.

Already have the cut sheet and know what I'm going for any help is appreciated

Last edited:
Just picked this bad boy up. $142 shipped. Double baffled and internally braced. Used I know but that doesn't bother me.

Also it's 1.6 cubic feet so a bit bigger than I was wanting. That's ok for now cause all I have in my truck is my Sundown SFB-600 so I think the extra airspace will more than make up for the lack of power.

When I get I get my new car I'm gonna add some blocks to to to bring it down to 1.0 after displacement because I'll be using an SIA2500 and wire it to 4 ohms so I'll have 2k to play with.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230903-024917.png
    Screenshot_20230903-024917.png
    194.1 KB · Views: 21
Keep in mind with bigger box you gain efficiency from the sub but lose power handling before reaching the mechanical limits...you might find that 600w sfb might be closer to what you'll need the a 2.5k sia

It doesn't get much easier than a sealed box. Literally six sides and a few internal braces. I can't imagine paying that much for poor performance.

Determine your dimensions and find a local carpenter or handyman. It'll be the easiest $150 he's ever made.

It doesn't get much easier than a sealed box. Literally six sides and a few internal braces. I can't imagine paying that much for poor performance.

Determine your dimensions and find a local carpenter or handyman. It'll be the easiest $150 he's ever made.
Right that's the crazy part is that for $250 I would've been getting a double baffled with bare wood and no terminals. And that was the cheapest option 😂

Just glad I checked the used listings on ebay

Keep in mind with bigger box you gain efficiency from the sub but lose power handling before reaching the mechanical limits...you might find that 600w sfb might be closer to what you'll need the a 2.5k sia
Yea for sure. I'm keeping it at that 1.6 cubes for now while I use the 600 watt amp later down the road when I get a new car I think I'm gonna get a second SQL and throw it on the 2500

these are nice if they fit your specs

My local price for a sealed 12 is 125$. 175$ for slot ported. 200$ for aeroport. I do my own installs, but I do like to go down to local shops just to buy something small like wiring or some tweeters and do some questioning. More often than not they are good at vehicle electrical, but know very little about subwoofer enclosure design, or the different specs on subs that indicate what type of enclosure the sub will work best in.

Last edited:
these are nice if they fit your specs
Saw that one but they are out of stock and also the cutout is quite a bit smaller than the SQL

My local price for a sealed 12 is 125$. 175$ for slot ported. 200$ for aeroport. I do my own installs, but I do like to go down to local shops just to buy something small like wiring or some tweeters and do some questioning. More often than not they are good at vehicle electrical, but know very little about subwoofer enclosure design, or the different specs on subs that indicate what type of enclosure the sub will work best in.
My understanding of sealed boxes is all that matters is internal volume. Is there more to them? Is it still considered sealed if you run a passive radiator? I will never use a sealed enclosure again, but now I'm curious.

My understanding of sealed boxes is all that matters is internal volume. Is there more to them? Is it still considered sealed if you run a passive radiator? I will never use a sealed enclosure again, but now I'm curious.
Well the radiator acts as a port but I think a passive radiator setup is it's own thing...it's kind of the best of both worlds smaller box like a sealed and more output like ported...

Last edited:
Internal volume is really all that matters with sealed. A passive radiator setup can be done 2 different ways. Model the sub and find the sealed box size it likes, then design the passive radiator box based on sealed box air space and add a radiator the same size as the sub tuned super low. 25 HZ or so. The second way is to basically mimic a ported box by using the subs preferred ported box air space size, but now you add double the radiators and tune them like a traditional ported box. 28-35 HZ or so. I find the sound quality and use of space to be better using the sealed box air space strategy with passive radiators.

Yea that's pretty much all it is. But sealed boxes are naturally not as rigid as (slot)ported boxes since they lack the extra wood in the box to help brace it

And I'm using a 30 pound sub rated at I we an inch if excursion so I want tryna throw it in some dinky ol sealed box from Walmart.

The metra box I have is made of "3/4" Mdf but feels like it weighs much less than my old NVX sealed box without any subwoofer in I and my little RockFord P2D2 causes it to flex like a MF

Last edited:
Yea that's pretty much all it is. But sealed boxes are naturally not as rigid as (slot)ported boxes since they lack the extra wood in the box to help brace it

And I'm using a 30 pound sub rated at I we an inch if excursion so I want tryna throw it in some dinky ol sealed box from Walmart.

The metra box I have is made of "3/4" Mdf but feels like it weighs much less than my old NVX sealed box without any subwoofer in I and my little RockFord P2D2 causes it to flex like a MF
Every Metra box I've seen in person was closer to 1/2" than the 3/4" claimed 😂

Sealed enclosures are more rigid because they're usually half the size of a ported enclosure for the same sub. Additionally, ported enclosures generate significantly more internal pressure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...