Who Makes Built to Order Shipped Boxes

Blackout67

CarAudio.com Regular
Ohio
My Stereo Integrity SQL12 came in the other day and I'm tryna get a box built for it. The car audio scene isn't that big here around Cincinnati so there isn't many good shops that won't price gouge you. Had a quote for $250 for a .8 cubes sealed box bare wood double baffled. And that's pickup no shipping included.

Anyone know any shops or private builders that could do that for me? Not tryna spend more than $175 shipped. I know that a lot of time and effort goes into building boxes, as I've build a few but I don't think I can justify spending that much on a tiny box.

I don't have a garage or saw anymore so I guess worst case scenario I can tip a worker at Lowe's to do my cuts and I will glue it together in my buddies garage. Just not trying to spend $70 on MDF that I'm probably only gonna use a quarter of the sheet and then find somewhere to store the unused.

Already have the cut sheet and know what I'm going for any help is appreciated

Last edited:
Sealed enclosures are more rigid because they're usually half the size of a ported enclosure for the same sub. Additionally, ported enclosures generate significantly more internal pressure.
True they are smaller but rigidity depends on panel size. The bigger the panel the easier it is to flex. You can make the baffle on a ported box about the same size size you're not including the port and the outer port wall as part of the baffle

Besides the pressure from the ported box escapes thru the port, in a sealed box all the energy from the subwoofer moving has to be absorbed by the baffle and the rest of the box

At least that's what I've gathered from research and just my own reasoning, but I could be completely wrong

True they are smaller but rigidity depends on panel size. The bigger the panel the easier it is to flex. You can make the baffle on a ported box about the same size size you're not including the port and the outer port wall as part of the baffle

Besides the pressure from the ported box escapes thru the port, in a sealed box all the energy from the subwoofer moving has to be absorbed by the baffle and the rest of the box

At least that's what I've gathered from research and just my own reasoning, but I could be completely wrong
I had a shop tell me that my sql-15's would tear apart the bbox prefab I was buying (it was 3/4" mdf and not double baffled). It sounded great with no noticeable box resonance or flex anywhere. The only reason I moved to another box was after displacement I was roughly at 1.84 cuft per sub in the bbox. My box now is roughly 2.1 after displacement and there's better response now in the 20's.

Not all sealed prefabs are the same quality...Metra overstates the thickness...bbox are good, groundshaker is better...the best sealed prefabs I've seen are the level 2 or level 3 boxes from sonix enclosures imo

Rigidity does depend on panel size, but ported enclosures tend to be 2x as big as their sealed counterparts, so we end up with bigger panels.

Even if you design the baffle to be the same size as a sealed enclosure, you still have considerably more pressure inside a ported enclosure.

The pressure inside the enclosure does not escape thru the port because the column of air in the port is out of phase with the sub and acts as another piston. If the pressure simply escaped thru the port, you would end up with cancellation. Pressure within a ported enclosure is greater than sealed just like pressure (measured in SPL) is greater outside the enclosure.

My Stereo Integrity SQL12 came in the other day and I'm tryna get a box built for it. The car audio scene isn't that big here around Cincinnati so there isn't many good shops that won't price gouge you. Had a quote for $250 for a .8 cubes sealed box bare wood double baffled. And that's pickup no shipping included.

Anyone know any shops or private builders that could do that for me? Not tryna spend more than $175 shipped. I know that a lot of time and effort goes into building boxes, as I've build a few but I don't think I can justify spending that much on a tiny box.

I don't have a garage or saw anymore so I guess worst case scenario I can tip a worker at Lowe's to do my cuts and I will glue it together in my buddies garage. Just not trying to spend $70 on MDF that I'm probably only gonna use a quarter of the sheet and then find somewhere to store the unused.

Already have the cut sheet and know what I'm going for any help is appreciated
I highly doubt you'll find any builder to do it and ship it for that price. A sheet of wood is anywhere from 50 to 150$ shipping would be about 50.00 even at the best price that wouldn't be doable.

Just picked this bad boy up. $142 shipped. Double baffled and internally braced. Used I know but that doesn't bother me.

Also it's 1.6 cubic feet so a bit bigger than I was wanting. That's ok for now cause all I have in my truck is my Sundown SFB-600 so I think the extra airspace will more than make up for the lack of power.

When I get I get my new car I'm gonna add some blocks to to to bring it down to 1.0 after displacement because I'll be using an SIA2500 and wire it to 4 ohms so I'll have 2k to play with.
They make some really nice rigid enclosures. Ive put a couple in that were brought to me with theyre help. pretty decent made enclosures from these guys. Fairly priced too.id make sure to hit the inside with some silicone to make sure its sealed pretty good and inspect it for any imperfections as it is used and repair whats needed. Screws do very well.I like Star or Square head deck screws. That looks like a good buy to me

It doesn't get much easier than a sealed box. Literally six sides and a few internal braces. I can't imagine paying that much for poor performance.

Determine your dimensions and find a local carpenter or handyman. It'll be the easiest $150 he's ever made.
Some people just do not have the tools or space to make an enclosure, and more so the knowledge, the use of tools these days and or the patience. So the option is to buy man. I mean, I have tools and the space and patience, but not the time atm,and most people are very impatient these days and want NOW!! I get it though what you are saying

Some people just do not have the tools or space to make an enclosure, and more so the knowledge, the use of tools these days and or the patience. So the option is to buy man. I mean, I have tools and the space and patience, but not the time atm,and most people are very impatient these days and want NOW!! I get it though what you are saying
I can't justify paying for something I can do myself, regardless of any new skills I have to learn.

I can't justify paying for something I can do myself, regardless of any new skills I have to learn.
I can relate to that as well. I like to do quite a bit myself of everything I encounter.Home repairs,auto repairs, audio installations and upgrades or degrades, electrical, plumbing ect. During transitions of my audio systems, Ive even bit the bullet and utilized an older Ipod or my Phone with ear buds for tunes until I was satisfied with a completion

Not the best pictures of em, but I found a local cabinet maker do these (about 10 years ago). (cabinet's with holes).
JL SUBS 1.jpg
JL SUBS 2.jpg
JL SUBS 3.jpg

$50, and I'm pretty sure that was for both of em. 3/4", braced inside, heavy, well made and dimensions were exactly what I asked for so I could fit them perfectly behind my seats in a reg cab pickup. They weren't even 1/16" off. I gave him the cutout size. From there it was drill the holes where I needed em, and drill for where I wanted the posts. Did it in his garage, and had em ready the next day. He even supplied the wood and screws. All I needed was a drill.

Gotta know when to go to Ace hardware. HD and Lowes are big and have a lot of stuff, but every Ace I've been to, everyone is working their second job, and they network well there. Last time I was there, they let employees keep their business card stacks on the counter, and they try to help each other. Just started talking to one of the guys about wanting to make speaker boxes, and he calls someone over, and sure glad I went there instead.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong I've built a few boxes myself and I love doing it and it would've been preferred. But I now live in a one bed room apartment and work 4pm to midnight so I don't have the space or time. I have the tools but not the other two lol.

At any rate, that ground shaker box I bought from eBay arrived and the SQL is right at home on 600 watts in it. Definitely could use a better amp tho for sure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...