need opinions! what 15" sub to get???

Participant count
  • Participant list

Giovanni15
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
so today was the last time i will hear my Fi BL 15 hit. it was a sad day //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bawling.gif.6287aa5d1d447c8af063fc9466e822ef.gif i have thought about reconing but im curious about other subs. here is my situation. i had a box built by 007 for the bl. its like 4.1 tuned to 34 hz. i figured other 15s can fit nicely, but correct me if im wrong. amp i am running is a sundown saz1500. ive been looking at the sundown x or zv3 15, or maybe a dc lvl 4 m2. tell me what you would do in my spot. recone or suggest a sub. all advice ppreicated! thanks

I would highly recommend reconing the BL over swapping to another one of the subs listed. The BL is a great sub and reconing it will be much cheaper than buying a new sub

yeah and selling/shipping a motor isnt fun on your wallet or your time and effort. Unless its a neo lol.
I would highly recommend reconing the BL over swapping to another one of the subs listed. The BL is a great sub and reconing it will be much cheaper than buying a new sub
If you were happy with the BL then recone it...
Same box/same power NO other sub will be magically different.
Thanks a lot for the input guys. I was debating just selling it for repair to not go through the whole recone process. i have never reconed so dont want to do it myself and mess up. so i would have to ship it to someone for a recone and sending my stuff over to someone is something ive never done due to the fear of getting it stolen. but what recone would you guys recommend? of course Fi does it but who knows how long that will take. theres also psi or spl but idk what to pick since this is my first time going through this.

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I was debating just selling it for repair to not go through the whole recone process. i have never reconed so dont want to do it myself and mess up. so i would have to ship it to someone for a recone and sending my stuff over to someone is something ive never done due to the fear of getting it stolen. but what recone would you guys recommend? of course Fi does it but who knows how long that will take. theres also psi or spl but idk what to pick since this is my first time going through this.
Fi parts for sure. They were designed for the sub. Who knows what kind of TS params you'll get with other parts, and it may not like the same box.

As far as reconing goes, how about posting on the Tennessee car audio page and seeing if anyone close to you could help? I would offer, but I personally don't have much experience with reconing. I have a ZCON motor I need to recone at some point, though.

Fi parts for sure. They were designed for the sub. Who knows what kind of TS params you'll get with other parts, and it may not like the same box.
As far as reconing goes, how about posting on the Tennessee car audio page and seeing if anyone close to you could help? I would offer, but I personally don't have much experience with reconing. I have a ZCON motor I need to recone at some point, though.
Alright thanks man. Ill look into that if not i might have to drive all the way over to brian (starr mountain) so he can do it.

hit up your local audio shops and talk to the guys that actually work on the cars, they might have friends that specialize in recones
The shops around here are jokes. They set their gains with something better than a dd1 or Oscope, their ears lmao that made me mad when they tell me that ****

lol, I would think at least one or two of your shops are decent. I have a few that actually does installs with DD1s and oscopes and soldering with no additional charge but you gotta ask for it lol. They know guys that do recones and build custom woofers. You just gotta look around. Normally the guys that carry hertz, audison, focal and dynaudio have a pretty decent understanding of car audio. Of course, the guys that carry big underground names like DD, DC, Sundown are mostly solid. Your typical jl, alpine, pioneer, kenwood exclusive shops will generally be pretty limited with their knowledge, lets not mention the flea market shops with max/peak power all over the place.. you know them with their 20+ gauge wire.

BL is pretty respectable sub, but most of the comparable stuff out there should perform nicely in that size/tuning. I wouldn't run out and pay MSRP for a new sub, but if you can scoop up something new to audition used give something new a try. If you're not comfortable doing a drop-in recone you can take the frame off the motor and ship the motor with "large flat rate box" from the post office for 19$ or so insured so you could sell that, clean the frame and sell that for 25$ or so and put it towards a working 15.

How did you break the BL by the way?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.