What kind of box?

Participant count
  • Participant list

bump465

Senior VIP Member
Arizona
I found a local guy that can make a box for me but i have no idea what to tell him for specs.

From what iv heard generally speaking you are not supposed to build a box to factory specs.

So my question is how many cubic feet should my box be and what frequency should i have it tuned to?

The subwoofer is a Skar ZVX 18" I have it wired @2ohm to a Hifonics XXV Colossus bridged. I tried building my own box for the first time and didnt really know what i was doing, and to be honest it sounds pretty ******. So what kind of box do i need to get that heart stopping, hard to breathe bass?

well the website says 4.0-4.5 Ft^3 @ 35Hz for the box iv heard of alot of people using an upwards of 5 cuft for subs this large, from what i know the bigger the box the louder it is, so should i have my box built my box on the larger side of that?

Wow, I haven't heard the myth that you shouldn't build a box according to the manufacturer's specification. That's a new one on me. You should probably also not use the type of engine oil the manufacturer of your car suggests. ;-)

Manufacturer recommendations for boxes are the best compromise between power handling, performance and space and are perfectly fine for most applications. If you want louder or lower you need to have the sub modeled in software that takes into account the TS numbers of the sub, otherwise you're just rolling the dice.

Also, larger boxes don't equate to louder. Sometimes they do but it depends on what your reference is. In other words... larger than what? If the manufacturer's spec is already for a large box then making it larger may lower the SPL.

In my experience with Skar subs, I would guess that that sub needs about 7-9 cubes to do well on the lows and still be loud. But again, we wouldn't know without modeling it.

It just seems every time i see someone experienced reccomend a box it is larger than manufactured specs. I made my box about 4.2 cuft but messed up on the port a little bit. When i get a new professional box i would like to think it will murder my first attempt at a box. The Skar website says that the ported box should be between 4- 4.5 cubes but you would consider a box as large as 9 cubes, why would you make a box potentially this huge if you are not gaining output power? I guess i just dont understand this part well. what would i gain from putting this sub in a 4cuft vs 5 or 9 for that matter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.