What happens to notes below a subs frequency response?

"You can mechanically over drive the speaker, and thermally damage it.
Thermal damage is introduced from excessive heat being presented in the driver. This can be cause from incorrect amplifier setting, clipping, long play sessions with an inadequate voice coil, just too much clean power, or amplifier failure introducing DC voltage.

Mechanical damage is caused from pushing the driver past its mechanical limits. This can be damage to the suspension which helps keep the voice coil movement linear. Suspension damage can be rips, tears, or outside influenced irregularities in the fabric suspension. The other mechanical damage can be from voice coil expansion in the magnet, causing rubbing (usually happens only with excessive amounts of heat). Another common form of mechanical damage is reaching mechanical clearance limits. This would be such as contacting the voice coil to the back of the magnet structure, spider to the top plate of the magnet structure, or cone in contact with terminals/ spider landings."

Please feel free to learn and understand mechanical damage can so cause thermal/heat damage which a low frequency that a sub cannot handle will of course heat the sub causing voice coils to melt and/or seperate.

assuming the bolded line is where this mechanical thermal confusion is coming from.

What that is saying is the coil expansion is being caused by excessive heat, not the other way around. coil expansion is a form of thermal damage and the possible rubbing is a result.

now shut the fuck up and let this thread get back on track, you have been proven to not know what your talking about.

assuming the bolded line is where this mechanical thermal confusion is coming from.
What that is saying is the coil expansion is being caused by excessive heat, not the other way around. coil expansion is a form of thermal damage and the possible rubbing is a result.

now shut the fuck up and let this thread get back on track, you have been proven to not know what your talking about.
Oh your a big man you told me to shut the **** up..

I stand corrected thanks to the immature non insulting members, as for you and bubba who choose to attack a person.

Im learning as i go and honestly thought i had researched correctly, but i was wrong..

Sorry to op for causing **** on your thread.. Oh and good job pheonix risen you sir earned a big boy badge.

I may have sounded ignorant as i never tried going into detail, but as far as your statement 10000 watts pretty much makes the subsonic filter useless as its way to much power for a crossover not dedicated to highs and lows to clear out.
As for notes not being played clearly was meant to say if the sub tried playing a low frequency which it could not handle it would start to mechanicly fail causing more heat from stress of going over the xmax or to be technical like YOU "farther then its excursion limits"

As you clearly skimmed my posts and assumed i was ignorant you like to always seem to try to be on top of others and call people out.

I dont mean to disrupt the ops thread, but i hate when others like to call people out because we are not posting as technical as they do.

Also i was speaking soley on a ported situation as the op clearly said he has a ported and not sealed box.
I read your post and I KNOW you're ignorant. First of all if you read the original post you'll see that OP stated that his subs in his car are in a sealed box.

A woofer which is moving more is cooling more so in fact your woofer would heat up far faster at higher frequencies where the cone is not moving as much since cooling of the coil is largely dependent on the circulation of air around it. All things being equal the same sub with a 12" cone will also cool better than that sub with an 18" cone because cooling is dependent on the movement of the cone.

And as Shizzon pointed out a crossover isn't a 100% cut of all frequencies, but a -3dB rolloff point. Slope of the crossover can vary greatly as well.

OP came here for good information and you gave him a shovel full of ********. Members who know the facts aren't bad guys for trying to offer correct information and point out false information.

"You can mechanically over drive the speaker, and thermally damage it.
Thermal damage is introduced from excessive heat being presented in the driver. This can be cause from incorrect amplifier setting, clipping, long play sessions with an inadequate voice coil, just too much clean power, or amplifier failure introducing DC voltage.

Mechanical damage is caused from pushing the driver past its mechanical limits. This can be damage to the suspension which helps keep the voice coil movement linear. Suspension damage can be rips, tears, or outside influenced irregularities in the fabric suspension. The other mechanical damage can be from voice coil expansion in the magnet, causing rubbing (usually happens only with excessive amounts of heat). Another common form of mechanical damage is reaching mechanical clearance limits. This would be such as contacting the voice coil to the back of the magnet structure, spider to the top plate of the magnet structure, or cone in contact with terminals/ spider landings."

Please feel free to learn and understand mechanical damage can so cause thermal/heat damage which a low frequency that a sub cannot handle will of course heat the sub causing voice coils to melt and/or seperate.
The last sentence of this is poorly written, could be quite misleading, and makes almost no sense. Too much heat at ANY frequency can burn up a coil. Otherwise that's not a bad explanation of how subs break.

What the French toast is going on here. You hear below anywhere from 20-25hz (depending on your ears) because of harmonics not because of port noise an distortion. At low frequencies I would be more concerned about over driving or over heating an amp. It takes more power and puts more strain on an amp to play at 20hz vs at 40hz. Depending if you are running ported or sealed makes a big difference on how low you can safely play. Ported enclosures give you the advantage because you can control your driver better through tuning. Sealed enclosures tend to push a drivers suspension harder.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.