What 5k amp?

I thought you were too going back to your old habits around here?

You also say over and over that your installer said oh no one will believe it everyone will hate. Nope none us are doing that all of us have said good score in a truck with an outlaw score.

Enjoy the rest of the argument everyone. Better things to do like getting the rear diff apart in my Explorer so I can get the parts for it and get the rebuilding done so I have a vehicle to drive finally.

I'm starting to get the feeling that you did meter sealed at the dash, didn't even break 145 and are just playing dumb because the meter broke your heart.

So now you're calling me a liar about how we metered my truck. I'm not a liar man. You can call me an azzhole all you want but I'm not a liar or a thief. I found this in the MECA rulebook. So call it cheating all you want but it's in their rulebook. I honestly don't think you guys can believe 4-8's can do a 148.5. It happened! Sorry!

View attachment 30139
[/QUOTE]
I would personally rather use 8s to get high spl scores, especially when running in a truck. I could fit 4 or 5 eights in the same air space as a single 15 would fit in. I’m no expert compared to some of these guys here, but having the same cone area split up between multiple motors and cones seemed louder than just throwing in a single big sub. This assessment is by ear, so take it with a grain of salt. I never did compare this with a microphone. If I were to jump into spl comps, I’d personally rather run a ton of small drivers than a single large driver. It’s the cost of numerous small drivers that could sway my decision.

@SlugButter, I never said this. That was somebody else.

Screenshot_20210628-065708_Chrome.jpg

So now you're calling me a liar about how we metered my truck. I'm not a liar man. You can call me an azzhole all you want but I'm not a liar or a thief. I found this in the MECA rulebook. So call it cheating all you want but it's in their rulebook. I honestly don't think you guys can believe 4-8's can do a 148.5. It happened! Sorry!

View attachment 30139
I would personally rather use 8s to get high spl scores, especially when running in a truck. I could fit 4 or 5 eights in the same air space as a single 15 would fit in. I’m no expert compared to some of these guys here, but having the same cone area split up between multiple motors and cones seemed louder than just throwing in a single big sub. This assessment is by ear, so take it with a grain of salt. I never did compare this with a microphone. If I were to jump into spl comps, I’d personally rather run a ton of small drivers than a single large driver. It’s the cost of numerous small drivers that could sway my decision.
[/QUOTE]

And you can't get a 15" subwoofer behind the seat in a single cab truck. It's hard enough to get the mounting depth and airspace required for four good 8's. My box is a little over 5 cubes net before sub and port displacement. That's nearly impossible is almost every standard cab truck.

I thought you were too going back to your old habits around here?

You also say over and over that your installer said oh no one will believe it everyone will hate. Nope none us are doing that all of us have said good score in a truck with an outlaw score.

Enjoy the rest of the argument everyone. Better things to do like getting the rear diff apart in my Explorer so I can get the parts for it and get the rebuilding done so I have a vehicle to drive finally.

Arrive late and leave early. You must be a union worker. You'll be back.

Screenshot_20210628-070738_Chrome.jpg

@hispls, nice try but you know I never said this. Thanks for taking the time to retype what I actually said. Haters everywhere. Nobody can just be happy for somebody. Everybody is just here to take a shitt on everybody else. Too funny!

What is happening here? The only solution I see is to get it metered sealed at the dash. That is the standard of scoring. Outlaw scoring has too many factors involved that can inflate the numbers. Regardless, I’d like to hear your setup because 8’s may be in my future.

What is happening here? The only solution I see is to get it metered sealed at the dash. That is the standard of scoring. Outlaw scoring has too many factors involved that can inflate the numbers. Regardless, I’d like to hear your setup because 8’s may be in my future.

It's a standard cab and people don't believe 4-8's can get that loud. I honestly can't even remember if we had the door open or not. I've switched to a bigger and cleaner amp since then and added a bank of lishen lithium since the 148.5 @ 32 hz. score. We metered from the kick panel which I guess is cheating. This is the only vehicle that I've ever metered. All I know is that it's loud and deep and everybody thinks that I have a blow through.

Last edited:
I’ve always ran 8s since the DD 1508 came out. I have a couple of 10s lying around to build for a competition also if I ever get a wild hair. I can probably get around 144 DB on the 1200 watts rms I have available. I’ve always had a goal to get maximum performance from manageable wattage levels. Best I’ve done is 144.6 DB on 700 watts RMS. I did 145.2 once, but that was on 1400 watts rms, double the box size and an extra sub. I call that a failed use of space and dollars in a daily driver for a .6 dB gain. What I like to build for people are manageable daily driver systems for dollars and power that can still go into a bass race sometimes. Once a person starts trying to reach up towards 146 DB in my experience, it gets expensive. The cost is exponential for diminishing returns at that point. Horse power in a motor works the same way once you get to a certain horse power and torque levels.

I’ve always ran 8s since the DD 1508 came out. I have a couple of 10s lying around to build for a competition also if I ever get a wild hair. I can probably get around 144 DB on the 1200 watts rms I have available. I’ve always had a goal to get maximum performance from manageable wattage levels. Best I’ve done is 144.6 DB on 700 watts RMS. I did 145.2 once, but that was on 1400 watts rms, double the box size and an extra sub. I call that a failed use of space and dollars in a daily driver for a .6 dB gain. What I like to build for people are manageable daily driver systems for dollars and power that can still go into a bass race sometimes. Once a person starts trying to reach up towards 146 DB in my experience, it gets expensive. The cost is exponential for diminishing returns at that point. Horse power in a motor works the same way once you get to a certain horse power and torque levels.

My box is big and deep enough to switch to 4-10's if I wanted to, but I probably won't. My subs cost me $550, amp cost me $380, and box cost me about $300. Headunit was $125, 4- 6-½'s $200, two super tweets $90, mids/highs amp $175, alternator $540. I also just added one bank of lithium for $240. Not too bad for a daily driver and all hidden behind the seat. Did you meter at the dash?

My box is big and deep enough to switch to 4-10's if I wanted to, but I probably won't. My subs cost me $550, amp cost me $380, and box cost me about $300. Headunit was $125, 4- 6-½'s $200, two super tweets $90, mids/highs amp $175, alternator $540. I also just added one bank of lithium for $240. Not too bad for a daily driver and all hidden behind the seat. Did you meter at the dash?
Done it on the dash and in the kick. It depended on who was running the comp really. Most of these comps are just some audio guys who own a termlab, get together and charge an entry fee. They aren’t official or sanctioned by anyone. Prizes were usually a small subwoofer or some sound deadener. The system I did 144.6 dB with cost $900 total, with some added sound deadener I won at a bass race, so probably 950$ worth of stuff, including wiring.

Done it on the dash and in the kick. It depended on who was running the comp really. Most of these comps are just some audio guys who own a termlab, get together and charge an entry fee. They aren’t official or sanctioned by anyone. Prizes were usually a small subwoofer or some sound deadener. The system I did 144.6 dB with cost $900 total, with some added sound deadener I won at a bass race, so probably 950$ worth of stuff, including wiring.

Did you notice a huge difference between the dash and the kick? My truck is currently running about 3,700 or so watts. No sound deadening.

View attachment 30146

@hispls, nice try but you know I never said this. Thanks for taking the time to retype what I actually said. Haters everywhere. Nobody can just be happy for somebody. Everybody is just here to take a shitt on everybody else. Too funny!
I don't think anybody would doubt 148.5 outlaw. Certainly nothing to be ashamed of and really if you're happy with the way it sounds be happy. Once you meter sealed at the dash you will understand why claiming that you're "amost" 150 is dishonest.

It's a standard cab and people don't believe 4-8's can get that loud.
148.5 outlaw for your cone area and power in a pickup truck isn't unbelievable. 149s sealed on the dash would be really solid and 150+ sealed on the dash would be very impressive. It is unlikely any pickup truck will do 150+ sealed at the dash with that power and cone area on anything that would be doing much in the way of playing music.

The cost is exponential for diminishing returns at that point.
Very much so. From where I'm sitting I'm HOPING I can gain .5 by getting my amps down from 1.4 to .7 ohm nominal. I'm not expecting much more and if that fails I'm prepared to buy more amps depending how close I get.

I never said this either.
No but you should say that if you wish to be entirely honest.

which I guess is cheating
Nobody is saying this besides you. You are metering "outlaw" which can be significantly different from dB drag "legal". It is important to make the distinction when throwing around numbers. Just go meter sealed at the dash and you will understand the difference and also understand that 148.5 isn't anything like "almost 150".

The only solution I see is to get it metered sealed at the dash.
Or just say "outlaw". Nothing at all wrong with metering outlaw if that's how your org does things but it is important to make the distinction when sharing numbers with people who aren't locals.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...