Voltage Regulation

09VIC

Atlanta
Hey guys my sound system would like to take advantage of my 09 cvpi's 200 amp alternator but I read somewhere the vics are regulated to charge at around 13.5. Is there a way to bump it up to 14.4? Can I somehow wire the alt to a switch that could make it internally regulated instead of external when I need it?

Transpo Voltage Regulator is what you need to externally regulate your alternator

Fairly simple to install

Before you go ahead and do that, with your current setup, have you already done the big 3?

Your voltage regulator could be bypassed just by running a secondary power wire to the battery. If you do this, you should also add additional grounds.

Transpo Voltage Regulator is what you need to externally regulate your alternator
Fairly simple to install

Before you go ahead and do that, with your current setup, have you already done the big 3?

Your voltage regulator could be bypassed just by running a secondary power wire to the battery. If you do this, you should also add additional grounds.
I have done the big three and I have a 1/0 charging cable from the alternator fused at 250 amps. My alternators voltage is controlled by the PCM but in reading about adding a second alt you twist two of the wires together and run them to a switch when you need the voltage so I figured there might be a way to do that with my stock alt by manipulating the wires.

I have done the big three and I have a 1/0 charging cable from the alternator fused at 250 amps. My alternators voltage is controlled by the PCM but in reading about adding a second alt you twist two of the wires together and run them to a switch when you need the voltage so I figured there might be a way to do that with my stock alt by manipulating the wires.
Multi-alt setups are not my thing. Do you currently have two alternators?

Multi-alt setups are not my thing. Do you currently have two alternators?
No I have a stock 200 amp alt that is putting out 13.5-13.8 volts. I want to somehow have a dash switch wired to my alternator that could switch it from 13.8 (regulated by the pcm) and 14.4 (internally regulated). I need to know if this is even possible with an alternator.

Oh stock alt....I see. From the sounds of it, sounded like you bought a HO alt. So your experiencing the 13.5-13.8 while car is running?

Oh stock alt....I see. From the sounds of it, sounded like you bought a HO alt. So your experiencing the 13.5-13.8 while car is running?
Yes that is correct my PCM sets the voltage to charge at that. Is there a way to manipulate the alternators wiring to make it do 14.4?

If you had a programmer you could change the pos to 15 with a few clicks.

That alternator should use a signal wire as feedback 2 ECM to tell the ECM the voltages seen if you find that bar and put a resistor on that water to lower voltage maybe the ECM will step voltage up??

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that is correct my PCM sets the voltage to charge at that. Is there a way to manipulate the alternators wiring to make it do 14.4?
Might be by-passable. You'll have to look into your cars make/model online a forum or such and do some digging around to find out which wire(s) on the regulator to bypass.

If you had a programmer you could change the pos to 15 with a few clicks. That alternator should use a war as feedback 2 ECM to tell the ECM the voltages seen if you find that bar and put a resistor on that water to lower voltage maybe the ECM will step voltage up??
I seen that Idea but I'd rather not do that it keeps voltage that low for a reason I don't want 14.4 constant just when I need it.

Might be by-passable. You'll have to look into your cars make/model online a forum or such and do some digging around to find out which wire(s) on the regulator to bypass.
Yeah my man that's what I'm doin here...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.