voltage questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

lil98cabrio
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
oh yeah
alright i drive a 2005 honda civic hybrid, and the other day i was installing a new sirius when the intergration dock was not turning on, so i pulled my DMM out and saw that my car was chargeing at 16.8 volts. and i have an extra battery that i just added and wondering if i will have a problem since its a 12volt batt.

i have there pics of the resting voltage at 14 something and the car tunred on its 16.89 volts and a pics of the extra battery.

DSCN1019.jpg

DSCN1018.jpg

DSCN1017.jpg

16.89 volts is way high for a stock alt. On the otherhand that looks like a pretty cheap meter, and I might not trust it. I'd try another meter and see what you get.

16.89 volts is way high for a stock alt. On the otherhand that looks like a pretty cheap meter, and I might not trust it. I'd try another meter and see what you get.
this meter reads just fine, and i dont have another at the moment to use. im thinking its due to the fact that it is hybrid that the charging system is higher.

found this on the nets

fanfaron is absolutely correct. The gen 1 Civic hybrid does not have an alternator.
In all likelihood you have an electrical problem on your downstream 12V system or your DC-DC module is operating outside its specs (needs replacement) and that is causing an inadequate charge to be delivered to the 12V battery. Bad NiMH battery packs are also known to cause these types of issues. Heck, even a faulty BCM could cause this.

Charging occurs when the voltage baselines at 13.6 to 13.9 volts.

So, I would suggest it is time to take it to the dealer for 20 minutes worth of HDS diagnostics. They'll tell you for sure what's up and what needs to be done about it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.