Voltage problem???

my_stealth21
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Tulsa,OK
Ok well I just got a hifonics brutus 1606 D 1600@ 1 ohm and so on, maybe a little overrated. So before I had a Planet audio bb650.1 hooked up 600@ 2 ohms , these are RMS ratings BTW. Well there wired to a 10 RD sonance. So I recieved the brutus today and hooked it up and noticed it's not really doing anymore than the planet audio did maybe less. I have to turn the gain all the way up and the Boos half way just to get it moving decently. Im thinking that the amp is not getting proper voltage to put out good power its on a two ohm load from the sub. Im using 4 guage for power wire ( Not exactly good wire, more rubber that wire but not too bad) and Im using 12 guage for speaker wire. Too start I dont have the big 3 done but I dont think it should have this effect even not having it done, also I dont have a ring terminal on my power connection to my battery the wires are in there good though. The headunit I have is an older clarion (not really old) and it only puts out 1.8v at the preamp (I'm thinking the headunit doesnt put out enough at the preamp is the problem) Let me know what you guys thinK ???

you need to recognize that your connections are the most important part of your wiring. You need to get a proper ring terminal and battery terminal or you're just wasting your time and money buying larger amps. also know that the amp get's it's power from the ground (electricity flows negative to positive). So your grounds are of high concern.

the big 3 is required for a sound system upgrade to be effective.

you need to measure the voltage at your amp, and monitor the voltage at your battery with your system. you need to know what that voltage is, don't assume. knowing the voltage will help you know where to invest your money to get more output.

verify you don't have your sub wiring messed up and you have proper terminals and connections between the amp and sub. again, connections are the most important part.

take the time to do your connections correctly. visit this link outlining my power wiring in the engine bay:

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1806871&Main=214011#Post1806871

see how i did my battery connections (and alt big 3). Notice the time I spend on my connections, to ensure they are solid and have low resistance. my build log (link in sig) has my power and ground wire connections.

Yea I installed a JVC arsenal 5V pre outs the other day BIG DIFFERENCE . So Im guessing most of it was the low output headunit but I think after I do the Big 3 I will see more too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.