Very "Bright" Setup, sad face

Ok, you likely don't have issues except for levels then, is what it sounds like. Are you running passive or active? Basically, do you have one channel for each tweeter and midbass, or are you running rears? You may have a switch on your crossover if you are running passive, or you can turn that channel down if you are running active. And when you say "super high volume", what number is that on the deck?
60 degrees, top of faceplate angled up.

I seriously cant get the faceplate back on unless I seat the left side, then press hard on the right, when I try angled with the top out it just binds and gets stuck in the gear on the left.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I must be retarded. I looked at the mid/high amp, and the crossover frequency looks to be ~80-100hz... ill post a pic of it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif As for active or passive its passive, only front stage, just left and right channel split to tweet/mid in the door with a crossover. When I say high volume i just mean the vocals are to **** loud.. But the deck volume is ~40.. Perfect example, I was just driving home form work, playing some Kaliko, one song, okay highs, good mid bass and sub. even got steering wheel flex listening at 45 volume. Next song, I know has bass (Listening to it on my headphones right now :\ ) but the vocals were screaming, so I turned it down to ~32, but no bass what so ever, even fiddled the gain knob all the way home //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Sorry for the horrible picture quality

I seriously cant get the faceplate back on unless I seat the left side, then press hard on the right, when I try angled with the top out it just binds and gets stuck in the gear on the left.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I must be retarded. I looked at the mid/high amp, and the crossover frequency looks to be ~80-100hz... ill post a pic of it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif As for active or passive its passive, only front stage, just left and right channel split to tweet/mid in the door with a crossover. When I say high volume i just mean the vocals are to **** loud.. But the deck volume is ~40.. Perfect example, I was just driving home form work, playing some Kaliko, one song, okay highs, good mid bass and sub. even got steering wheel flex listening at 45 volume. Next song, I know has bass (Listening to it on my headphones right now :\ ) but the vocals were screaming, so I turned it down to ~32, but no bass what so ever, even fiddled the gain knob all the way home //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
Sorry for the horrible picture quality
It really sounds like it's the source. Is that with CD or via USB?

It really sounds like it's the source. Is that with CD or via USB?
Im reformatting the drive to ntfs and removing the garbage. Part of the rubber gasket on the sub is pushed out.. Like sticking out, maybe the sub is leaking a little.... going to take the gasket off and just use gasket tape on the box and sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif im running out of ideas here man

Have you had this problem too? I thought I was going insane.. Looking for all this music I added and nothing was there lol
It is ~200GB of music so i could see how the deck would be all fuckthat.jpg
Most newer decks will read up to 750GB, anything beyond that they won't recognize.

I wonder if there is a decent member around your area that could take a look. I have some buddies in CS for Air Force Academy but they don't know anything. Lol

Most newer decks will read up to 750GB, anything beyond that they won't recognize.
No shiz.. that AF acad always looked so cool Q_Q.. Im not sure how much of the thread you had time to read. But Im starting to think its the source audio causing problems. I just played some songs from pandora via bluetooth, and it sounded perfect.. I mean perfect, no harsh highs, midbass, and good substage.. so wtf.. Ideas? Songs are high quality MP3 on a usb harddrive

No shiz.. that AF acad always looked so cool Q_Q.. Im not sure how much of the thread you had time to read. But Im starting to think its the source audio causing problems. I just played some songs from pandora via bluetooth, and it sounded perfect.. I mean perfect, no harsh highs, midbass, and good substage.. so wtf.. Ideas? Songs are high quality MP3 on a usb harddrive
Yeah the problems you were seeing point to the source. It might be a bad USB connection somewhere, or one of the USB cables could be bad. That's if you know the files aren't corrupted in some way. Like I said man, try a CD or 2 or 3. If you have no problems with them, then you know where to look.

Yeah the problems you were seeing point to the source. It might be a bad USB connection somewhere, or one of the USB cables could be bad. That's if you know the files aren't corrupted in some way. Like I said man, try a CD or 2 or 3. If you have no problems with them, then you know where to look.
Looks like im back in the business of burning CDs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif,, Thanks a lot man U have been a huge help (and everyone else too)

Looks like im back in the business of burning CDs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif,, Thanks a lot man U have been a huge help (and everyone else too)
Nah, that's an easy fix. New USB extension if you really need the extra length, or that could be the problem, you might not see issues if you remove that. It might just be loose at the back of the HU. At the very most just grab a different drive. Atleast you know where the problem is.

Did you try CD's and it sounded just fine?

what an annoying issue.

a couple things to verify.

1. does the 80PRS have different settings for each input - i.e. level/eq/sound shaping?

2. if you listen to the same song on USB HDD vs USB Thumbdrive vs CD (i.e. just burn that same mp3 to a CD in mp3) and it sounds different, then I agree you have a USB issue.

3. Note that a large HDD is a power hog, and you need adequate power (current) to deal with that. Voltage fluctuations in the supply voltage will compound the issue. SSD is recommended for automobile use - they have lower power requirements and are faster... but more expensive. If the thumbdrive sounds different than the HDD, i would suspect the HDD is underpowered.

Auto EQ is only as good as the mic placement. I recommend you move the mic around during the EQ process (like a figure-8 pattern). Keeping it stationary will result in the program trying to compensate for standing waves and modes - peaks and nulls that are specific to that location. some systems are more sensitive to this than others, but all will suffer some form of it. You can see this effect with a narrow band RTA (1/24th octave can show it also).

Placement and aiming are key. Each song will peak and sustain different notes. Each note has a set of frequencies associated with it, and each frequency has a wavelength. Speaker placement and aiming affect what frequencies suffer constructive and destructive interference. This gets back to the Auto EQ as well.

Keep EQ flat until you resolve the issues overall. Defeat it totally. Systems that rely heavily on EQ are usually poorly implemented. Proper speaker installation, aiming, and placement can alleviate a lot of the symptoms that cause people to reach for an EQ.

Pioneer's internal crossovers are fairly poor. It's hard to know exactly what they do to phase, but note that 12dB/oct and 18dB/oct give a 180deg phase shift - like reversing polarity on the speaker. I've found it's best to just use the same slope for everything - and you suffer the least phase issues. Amplifier crossovers are analog and more predictable. Fall back on them when possible. I found on my Alpine that I needed to overlap HU crossover points (after I did an RTA on the outputs). They drop off faster than expected.

In the '05 Scion tC build, the Audison crossovers are far superior to the Pioneer 980bt crossovers - night and day difference.

tweeter placement can cause harshess at some frequencies and not others - it's phase interference due to reflections combining with direct. it will vary song to song.

what an annoying issue.
a couple things to verify.

1. does the 80PRS have different settings for each input - i.e. level/eq/sound shaping?

2. if you listen to the same song on USB HDD vs USB Thumbdrive vs CD (i.e. just burn that same mp3 to a CD in mp3) and it sounds different, then I agree you have a USB issue.

3. Note that a large HDD is a power hog, and you need adequate power (current) to deal with that. Voltage fluctuations in the supply voltage will compound the issue. SSD is recommended for automobile use - they have lower power requirements and are faster... but more expensive. If the thumbdrive sounds different than the HDD, i would suspect the HDD is underpowered.

Auto EQ is only as good as the mic placement. I recommend you move the mic around during the EQ process (like a figure-8 pattern). Keeping it stationary will result in the program trying to compensate for standing waves and modes - peaks and nulls that are specific to that location. some systems are more sensitive to this than others, but all will suffer some form of it. You can see this effect with a narrow band RTA (1/24th octave can show it also).

Placement and aiming are key. Each song will peak and sustain different notes. Each note has a set of frequencies associated with it, and each frequency has a wavelength. Speaker placement and aiming affect what frequencies suffer constructive and destructive interference. This gets back to the Auto EQ as well.

Keep EQ flat until you resolve the issues overall. Defeat it totally. Systems that rely heavily on EQ are usually poorly implemented. Proper speaker installation, aiming, and placement can alleviate a lot of the symptoms that cause people to reach for an EQ.

Pioneer's internal crossovers are fairly poor. It's hard to know exactly what they do to phase, but note that 12dB/oct and 18dB/oct give a 180deg phase shift - like reversing polarity on the speaker. I've found it's best to just use the same slope for everything - and you suffer the least phase issues. Amplifier crossovers are analog and more predictable. Fall back on them when possible. I found on my Alpine that I needed to overlap HU crossover points (after I did an RTA on the outputs). They drop off faster than expected.

In the '05 Scion tC build, the Audison crossovers are far superior to the Pioneer 980bt crossovers - night and day difference.

tweeter placement can cause harshess at some frequencies and not others - it's phase interference due to reflections combining with direct. it will vary song to song.
I know this is not directed to me, but a couple things:

The 80PRS does have the ability to select levels for different sources. From what I have seen that is the only source-specific setting.

Concerning the auto EQ/TA, you said you recommend moving the microphone in a figure 8 pattern. This would obviously mean you recommend sitting in the vehicle, rather than being outside the vehicle. What are the pros and cons on being inside vs. outside during the process? Would it be better to sit in the front seat and move the mic all around your head, or sit in the back seat and move the mic around where your head would be in the front seat?

yep, in the vehicle. why are we interested in how the car sounds when no one is in it? our bodies introduce absorption and blocking - that should be accounted for. an empty car is of no concern to us.

i sit in the driver's seat and hold the mic in front of my face, moving from ear to ear and changing in height. it has proved to provide the best results for RTA.

i also measure left and right speakers separately (and each driver separately), measuring at each ear to mimic both shadowing. for EQ, you want to do left and right separately as well, since driver side speakers are more off axis than passenger side. this preset would be for the driver's seat and then different from the passenger seat preset.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.