Forum does not seem very active... And hello

TheBigPilferer

CarAudio.com Recruit
I've read information on here in the past when I got started back in the day, but I remember it being much more active. I had an old account, but I forget what it was and got out of car audio for like 10 years. I decided to go ahead and sign up again bc I like variety and DIYMA is heavily sq - which isn't a bad thing - but I find it hard to relate to at the present time bc I'm always working on a low budget and lack a DSP and have budget gear. Over time on that site, it seems like the "budget" recommendations have gotten progressively more expensive recently.

Hopefully this site will regain some popularity and traffic, but I figured I would say hello.

Thanks for joining. We were hit with the "Google Helpful Content" update in late September, that caused a massive hit in search rankings. For some reason, they think CarAudio.com doesn't provide helpful content for users looking for information on car audio. Hopefully we're on the right track to recovering search rankings soon. It takes time to sort out things, as they love to be very vague about what the real issue is...

Thanks for joining. We were hit with the "Google Helpful Content" update in late September, that caused a massive hit in search rankings. For some reason, they think CarAudio.com doesn't provide helpful content for users looking for information on car audio. Hopefully we're on the right track to recovering search rankings soon. It takes time to sort out things, as they love to be very vague about what the real issue is...
Google is trash every way you slice it

This is interesting. Definitely a shame.

Am I the only one that feels that DIYMA has become "pay more mobile audio"? Not that there's anything wrong with buying high end gear, or even buying something just bc you like the brand or want matching gear etc., but to me lower budgets and do it yourself go hand in hand.

I have been searching for "SQ" competition level builds that use budget-friendly equipment AND preferably where the owner has done their own tuning. It was also kinda disappointing when I read the rules for the beginner classes and learned that there aren't nearly as many limits as I expected. It seems like you would need a relatively expensive system (to me) to stand a chance. I would like to see the exceptions to this...

Maybe I'm biased bc I can't afford such gear lol, but I'm not impressed anymore by seeing someone who has $2500+ in sound treatment products, Helix DSP, and Dynaudio / Focal Utopia / etc $1000+ speakers.

On the other side, SPL is not much better. I'd be much more interested in seeing somebody that came up with a unique installation tactic and is winning with less power/cheap subs/etc.

I'm sure there are examples that I haven't discovered.

This is interesting. Definitely a shame.

Am I the only one that feels that DIYMA has become "pay more mobile audio"? Not that there's anything wrong with buying high end gear, or even buying something just bc you like the brand or want matching gear etc., but to me lower budgets and do it yourself go hand in hand.

I have been searching for "SQ" competition level builds that use budget-friendly equipment AND preferably where the owner has done their own tuning. It was also kinda disappointing when I read the rules for the beginner classes and learned that there aren't nearly as many limits as I expected. It seems like you would need a relatively expensive system (to me) to stand a chance. I would like to see the exceptions to this...

Maybe I'm biased bc I can't afford such gear lol, but I'm not impressed anymore by seeing someone who has $2500+ in sound treatment products, Helix DSP, and Dynaudio / Focal Utopia / etc $1000+ speakers.

On the other side, SPL is not much better. I'd be much more interested in seeing somebody that came up with a unique installation tactic and is winning with less power/cheap subs/etc.

I'm sure there are examples that I haven't discovered.
Most of SQ is about the install, not so much the equipment. IMO. The guys who buy the oscilloscope, new laptop for the audio shop, test bench, microphone, expensive DSP, etc. usually have the expendable income to buy expensive speakers and amps as well. When someone spends 4500$ just to buy equipment to properly use a DSP, its highly doubtful that they’d use it to tune 300$ worth of speakers.

Most of SQ is about the install, not so much the equipment. IMO. The guys who buy the oscilloscope, new laptop for the audio shop, test bench, microphone, expensive DSP, etc. usually have the expendable income to buy expensive speakers and amps as well. When someone spends 4500$ just to buy equipment to properly use a DSP, its highly doubtful that they’d use it to tune 300$ worth of speakers.
I agree.

---------------------------------

Next, I would like to (not right now, but eventually) buy a (perhaps used) Helix M Four DSP.

Reasons:

1. I'm currently running 3-way passive front, bi-ampable coaxial rear, + subs, so I need 10 channels.

2. I have a 4 x 100 amp. I would like to add another 4 channels x 100 (or more).

3. 1 less piece of gear to install compared to standalone DSP + 4 channel amp. My amp rack is perfect for this setup with no modification.

4. Helix has the best software.

5. Helix is a good amp. As the Helix is probably nicer than my blackbrick amp, I will use it on my tweeters and 3" mids.

6. I just really want to try a helix.

I agree.

---------------------------------

Next, I would like to (not right now, but eventually) buy a (perhaps used) Helix M Four DSP.

Reasons:

1. I'm currently running 3-way passive front, bi-ampable coaxial rear, + subs, so I need 10 channels.

2. I have a 4 x 100 amp. I would like to add another 4 channels x 100 (or more).

3. 1 less piece of gear to install compared to standalone DSP + 4 channel amp. My amp rack is perfect for this setup with no modification.

4. Helix has the best software.

5. Helix is a good amp. As the Helix is probably nicer than my blackbrick amp, I will use it on my tweeters and 3" mids.

6. I just really want to try a helix.
Yeah. It’s much better than the blackbrick amp. Im using a standalone DSP. I have an RDS audio 6 channel class D running my door speakers. Lots of power and can be ran at 2 ohms on all 6 channels. Very handy, as I run 2 ohm on the midbass channel.

One thing about sound is that it’s purely subjective. I’ve listened to many speakers and subs people drooled over that just weren’t my cup of tea and have heard plenty of things that are budget priced that impressed me. One of the best things you can do is listen to as much different things as you can. If it’s not possible raw drivers if installed properly can give impressive results for the money. Going with raw drivers you are most of the time cutting out the middle man rebranding (now of days even that is rare as most things are made as cheap as possible for biggest profits in China). Don’t let price get you down as there are many cost effective ways to enjoy the type of sound you love best. At the end of the day the best sq system is the one that sounds best to you.

Am I the only one that feels that DIYMA has become "pay more mobile audio"?
It's always leaned that direction.

Not sure how cheap you can really get anything done these days. Deadening and custom mounting locations/prep is going to be expensive and/or time consuming, pretty much any DSP is going to MSRP 500$+ so you're probably 1500$ before buying an amp or driver before you've even got a shot at getting any sort of competitive SQ.

SPL competition orgs almost always have power limited classes which more often than not use actual measured power so no cheater amps giving you an edge anymore, but a lot of those classes can be very competitive and people get some crazy numbers out of 2000W and under these days.

This board is slow, but it always slows over the winter and picks up some in the spring.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...