Very "Bright" Setup, sad face

timma100
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
To start I had a some parts installed Saturday by a local shop because I didn't want to run new speaker wire in my doors and tear my car apart. I had a set of Hertz HSK 165s installed, tweets in pillars and mids in doors, and a Hertz EP4 to power them.. I also had my SA8v2 installed and my SAZ1000D wired up. The problem I have is at regular listening volume, there is no bass, not even mid bass. I can turn it up to ungodly levels and the midbass comes in. But the radio sounds like its coming out of just the tweeters, (unless I turn it wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy up) Now part of the issue could be the deck, its a 80PRS, and regular listening for me is about 26 on volume. Max volume is 62 and the RCA voltage is extremely low below 50 volume. Any input would be great, im heading back to the shop later this week when I have some time. Hopefully they wont charge me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

On a side note, I cant get the deck to see the new music I put on the hard drive I have connected to it via USB. Basically when I browse the drive it shows exactly what was on it the first time I plugged it in, but I have added a bunch more, but I cant see any of the new folders.. Ideas?

Sounds like they are wired out of phase. That takes the midbass completely out of it.

Either that or the shop put the high pass on either your mid/highs amp or deck extremely high.

Sounds like they are wired out of phase. That takes the midbass completely out of it.

Either that or the shop put the high pass on either your mid/highs amp or deck extremely high.
hmm :\ I have been screwing with it non stop trying to make it sound like I hoped it would. I used the autoEQ (with the mic) on the deck and that helped a lot. But something still seems wrong.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

After work today ill get some pictures of the mid/high settings.. Maybe we can figure this out

Did the shop set up the amps as well? Sounds like there's no gain at all as well... Weird that you wouldn't be hearing any bass at all.

hmm :\ I have been screwing with it non stop trying to make it sound like I hoped it would. I used the autoEQ (with the mic) on the deck and that helped a lot. But something still seems wrong.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
After work today ill get some pictures of the mid/high settings.. Maybe we can figure this out
If you've fixed the high pass filters on the amps and deck, I'm going to say it is more than likely wired out of phase. Pull out the wires on the amp and pop test your speakers w/ a 9v batt. If wired correctly, they pop out. If wrong, the cones will jump inward toward the motor.

If you've fixed the high pass filters on the amps and deck, I'm going to say it is more than likely wired out of phase. Pull out the wires on the amp and pop test your speakers w/ a 9v batt. If wired correctly, they pop out. If wrong, the cones will jump inward toward the motor.
Ill check the amp settings after work, ill take a picture if I feel lost/retarded (thats normal for me) and if everything looks okay on the amp ill do the 9v test. The other thing is there are crossovers in my doors too, I wonder if they messed them up somehow :|

This is probably irrelevant to the problems, but they wired the SA8v2 with 18Gauge... That just doesnt sit well with me.... The install looks nice, but... but wtf man

Ill check the amp settings after work, ill take a picture if I feel lost/retarded (thats normal for me) and if everything looks okay on the amp ill do the 9v test. The other thing is there are crossovers in my doors too, I wonder if they messed them up somehow :|

This is probably irrelevant to the problems, but they wired the SA8v2 with 18Gauge... That just doesnt sit well with me.... The install looks nice, but... but wtf man
While you should probably be running 12-14 gauge wire for the sub it's not going to effectively give it no bass at all. It probably is a phase issue. Look up some wiring diagrams online (there's a bunch) and see what the deal is.

While you should probably be running 12-14 gauge wire for the sub it's not going to effectively give it no bass at all. It probably is a phase issue. Look up some wiring diagrams online (there's a bunch) and see what the deal is.
Yeah that seems to be the issue, (hell I hope it is) Ill tear my door apart and see what the dealio is, they could have misswired the mid coming out of the crossover in the door.... But I will admit the highs are loud as Jesus

Edit: on second thought no, im not tearing my door open, for $500 they can take some time and have a happy customer.

some shops wire out of phase, I have seen this happen many times, and it seems to be more commonplace when the customer buys online product and is just paying for the install...

some shops wire out of phase, I have seen this happen many times, and it seems to be more commonplace when the customer buys online product and is just paying for the install...
Good unethical way of bringing the customer back to fix the problem and force sell their own products. Terrible, but it happens.

Good unethical way of bringing the customer back to fix the problem and force sell their own products. Terrible, but it happens.
that is all I can figure, I have actually seen a couple of intentional ground loops too... there is no other explanation for letting a vehicle leave a shop sounding like shit..I know for a fact that shit is done intentional. I had the old lady take one of my Avionixx amps down to a local shop and have them install it in her Suburban. When I got back in town, I was so pissed when I seen the Grounds all tied together and fastened with a single **** ant sheet metal screw and the drivers door out of phase and the rear passenger door out of phase...I had to re-do the whole fucking install...and when I mentioned it to them, they were telling me how that was a no-name brand amp and tried selling me their crap...My amp was made by ED and rated at 12v..frigging sweet amps.

/rant

that is all I can figure, I have actually seen a couple of intentional ground loops too... there is no other explanation for letting a vehicle leave a shop sounding like shit..I know for a fact that shit is done intentional. I had the old lady take one of my Avionixx amps down to a local shop and have them install it in her Suburban. When I got back in town, I was so pissed when I seen the Grounds all tied together and fastened with a single **** ant sheet metal screw and the drivers door out of phase and the rear passenger door out of phase...I had to re-do the whole fucking install...and when I mentioned it to them, they were telling me how that was a no-name brand amp and tried selling me their crap...My amp was made by ED and rated at 12v..frigging sweet amps.
/rant
:\ Thing is, I could have done the install my self. But they are the only "legit" shop in the springs, and I had visited the shop before and they came across as good people. It was more of a hey, here's my business, please don't go under type of thing. But they came across as shady once I became a paying customer. My brother thought he blew the JL 500.1 I gave him, so I was talking with the front desk dude, and he says oohhh I can get you this open box 500W for $500, that's a killer deal! That just pissed me off... They said it would be a 3 hour install because it was basically just running wires and it was a team of people. 6 hours later some guy comes out and has the audacity to say "your getting the deal of the century man".. Wanted to punch him square in the b00b

the 80prs is a complicated deck to setup, especially in Active mode. speaking of which is the deck in active mode or front/rear mode (it is a sliding notch on the underside of the HU chassis).

there are many MANY places to check for such problem so i don't even know where to begin diagnosing. ur gonna have to go over just about everything from the gains to if the wiring is done in phase. heck crossover settings could be the downfall.

I cant quote narrow down what the problem is, just ran a delivery of comp parts and some songs sound okay. But some (especially rock type) I can here where there should be midbass, but its nearly silent, and the vocals are unbearably loud, but some songs, the vocals are soft and level, then other songs have quiet vocals with the same volume. It just seems uneven, like the response between different songs is massive. Even in the same genre of music, all of the music is 320kb mp3 :/

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.