very confused please help!!!!

Thid Guy

ohio
i have just installed 4 hifonics hfi12d4 subs into my car, running them in pairs in series/parallel at 4 ohms per pair. they are in a sealed box with 2 chambers, 2 subs in each chamber. i am running them on a power acoustic 525w amp, bridged (until i get another amp) subs are brand new, when i hooked all 4 of them up they have very poor sound and produce a vibrating/ rattle sound... even at low volume. however when i unhook one pair the sound quality drastically improves. but the rattle is still there, tho no where near as bad. ive tried everything i can think of and am still clueless as to what is the cause of this. any help would be greatly apperciated. thank you.

You cannot run any connections between the subs in series. Connecting voice coils in series is alright though. if you have 4 dual 4 ohm subs your options are to either run at 2 ohms bridged or .5 ohms bridged. Hope this helps.

sounds like crap cus you dont have decent power. just run one sub. You need atleast a 2k amp. you got 4 subs that need 300 rms and 600 peak each. With a 2k amp @ 2 ohms., you can get 1200 rms easy and still have headroom to get within 400wats of the peaks 2400wats that the subs supose the peak at. For now, just run one sub dude

They still shoudlnt be making rattling sounds from being underpowered...I would guess there is something else wrong besides lack of power.

they would if he is clippping the shit out of them, he probably hasnt even broken one of them in yet. Until he gets the power right, he dont know what issues he faces. If he just runs one sub in a single sub box, then he can then test each sub and start to narrow done the issue. and if need, he can make sure the box he built or bought is not flawed.

Since it is impossible to underpower a sub, that is clearly not the issue man. Clipping is something different, if he does not know how to set gains properly, but that has nothing to do with the actual size of the amp. The box could also be leaking air, theres many things, but lack of power will never cause a problem with a sub.

im running at 2 ohms bridged, and my box is air tight, that was the first thing i checked it caulked and fully sealed its not my first attempt at enclosure building either i have built a few. you mentioned something about gains causing this, when i am running one pair at 4 ohms they dont produce the sound in question until upper mid to high range volume. so when i put both pairs on and it produces the sound at lower volumes could that be that my gains are too high causing distortion???

lol, you can wire them however you want, don't pay attention to that other guy. you can either make the subs 8ohms and parallel them down, or 2ohms and series the pairs up to 4. now, have you tried the other pair alone? also, it is possible, that you actually accidetally wired them to 1ohm, or up to 8ohm bridge? are they all in phase, and not inverted (assuming they all fire foreward to the same airspaces, not 1/2 inverted) have you checked ohms with a dmm?

what exact amp are you running (is it a 2/4 chan or a mono and what ohm load is it stable at)

and what voice coil configuration are the subs.

it amazes me that people trying to give advice cant think to ask for all of the needed information. (thats not at everyone)

sounds like crap cus you dont have decent power. just run one sub. You need atleast a 2k amp. you got 4 subs that need 300 rms and 600 peak each. With a 2k amp @ 2 ohms., you can get 1200 rms easy and still have headroom to get within 400wats of the peaks 2400wats that the subs supose the peak at. For now, just run one sub dude
oh yeah?

maybe tinsel slap?

lol, you can wire them however you want, don't pay attention to that other guy. you can either make the subs 8ohms and parallel them down, or 2ohms and series the pairs up to 4. now, have you tried the other pair alone? also, it is possible, that you actually accidetally wired them to 1ohm, or up to 8ohm bridge? are they all in phase, and not inverted (assuming they all fire foreward to the same airspaces, not 1/2 inverted) have you checked ohms with a dmm?
Please don't turn this into a pissing contest. If you wire your subs in series, the subs do not receive the signal at the same time, it may only be a slight difference, but it causes the subs to hit slightly out of phase reducing the output of your system Learn something before you just tell him to do it. It is simple elelectronic circuit theory.

With multi-driver sub systems, which often feature dual voice coils (DVC) on each driver, the level of wiring complexity can be enough to turn-off even the most adventurous of car audio do-it-yourselfers. Fear not though, for we have compiled wiring diagrams of several configurations for dual voice coil (DVC) drivers.

Please note that when wiring multiple drivers it is recommended that series connections between drivers be avoided at all costs. This does not include series connections made between voice coils on the same driver. For more information, please consult our dual voice coil tutorial.

Additionally, if you have an idea for a wiring configuration and you do not see it here, chances are you should re-think its implementation (in other words, don't do it). You will more than likely find that the results will be less than optimal.

In case you do not want to believe scientific law. Then you can go to the JL wiring tuturial (part of which is copied above), and look to see what kind of connections are best.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=161 . Class is dismissed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.