Wondering about sub choice

Participant count
  • Participant list

flea77
10+ year member

Lets start with where the system is headed. Eventually these will be in the vehicle (2007 Buick Lucerne):

Kenwood DNX6960

Polk MM651 fronts

Polk MM691 rears

For the sub I currently have (pulled from my old car):

Kenwood KAC-529S 120wx1 amp

MTX Thunder 6000 12" sub

Off the shelf enclosure

This car I am doing a little different, I am more geared towards quality than quantity. One other concern is space, I need as small as possible. In my old car the MTX with Kenwood did fine although it could have been tighter.

What I am wondering is should I keep the 12", replace it with something like a nice Polk MM1240, ditch all that and go with a pair of 8" MM840s? What do you think? I am primarily concerned with tight, clean, low bass that will probably never be heard outside the vehicle.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Allan

I don't think I really need an amp more than what I already have for what I am trying to accomplish. The setup I already have is more than "loud" enough. I mainly want better quality sound, and if possible, a smaller space taken up. As for budget, I would not mind spending a few hundred on a sub.

Allan

I don't think I really need an amp more than what I already have for what I am trying to accomplish. The setup I already have is more than "loud" enough. I mainly want better quality sound, and if possible, a smaller space taken up. As for budget, I would not mind spending a few hundred on a sub.
Allan
so how much does your amp produce? as in how much was your previous sub getting

Kenwood Mac-529s, 120watts bridged into one 4 ohm 12" sub.

I was thinking the 12" Polk would be a better sounding sub and I think it requires a smaller enclosure which is two good things. I also thought about a pair of 8" as that might be slightly smaller than what I have and probably tighter, but I might loose some of the lower end.

Torn and confused.

Allan

Kenwood Mac-529s, 120watts bridged into one 4 ohm 12" sub.
I was thinking the 12" Polk would be a better sounding sub and I think it requires a smaller enclosure which is two good things. I also thought about a pair of 8" as that might be slightly smaller than what I have and probably tighter, but I might loose some of the lower end.

Torn and confused.

Allan
Well dang, 120 watts aint nothin to us lol.

But like i said earlier, dayton reference

Yes, I know, years ago been there done that, dual 15"s in a small car with 800 watts at 2ohms. Don't want to go there again.

So you think Dayton reference over Polk? And one 12 or two 8s?

Allan

Yes, I know, years ago been there done that, dual 15"s in a small car with 800 watts at 2ohms. Don't want to go there again.
So you think Dayton reference over Polk? And one 12 or two 8s?

Allan
120 watts for 2 8s? Not necassary. One 12 will be fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.