vertically mount HU?

Oh ya, reason i asked, is old chevys had their radios mounted vertically, but they were small, like 6 inches wall, probably, and a few companies make replacement units that are meant to be mounted vertically like that, no internal cd player, but you could put a changer or an ipod in the glovebox or trunk

the only additional forces that would be applied would be the gravitational force in a direction that the CD player is not used to.
Pretty much sums up the whole problem right there. If the player is rated to be skip free up to so many Gs then that rating must go down when you mount it at an awkward or unconventional angle.

Again, I don't know this for sure. I am just trying to keep common sense involved in this debate.

Pretty much sums up the whole problem right there. If the player is rated to be skip free up to so many Gs then that rating must go down when you mount it at an awkward or unconventional angle.
Again, I don't know this for sure. I am just trying to keep common sense involved in this debate.
but youve also got to keep in mind that these are made to be mobile, and are designed for beyond normal shock and have built in shock capabilties.

out of the three years i had mine mounted vertically, i think it only skipped maybe 5 times. not a significant problem.

but youve also got to keep in mind that these are made to be mobile, and are designed for beyond normal shock and have built in shock capabilties.
out of the three years i had mine mounted vertically, i think it only skipped maybe 5 times. not a significant problem.
First of all I'm not in any way arguing your point. If you say you had yours mounted vertically then I believe you. So obviously most decks can handle it even though the mfgs do NOT recommend it.

My whole point was merely that if a deck was designed to be run on a horizontal plane then mounting it vertically COULD cause problems and may skip more than usual. Clearly this isn't always the case since you have been doing it.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

what are you proving? You just said that if the wheel was perpendicular to the floor it would be easy to hold on to it. So when mounting the HU vertically, the cd would be perpendicular to the car, no?
If it was at an exact 90 degree angle from a horizontal plane then yes! It would be> But if you'll read the original post in this thread you'll see that the questioner asked about a mounting position that would be "near vertical" which to me, implies somewhat of an angle, regardless of how slight that angle may be.

With that in mind, my post which you questioned is still accurate.

that doesent really have anything to do with the argument, he isnt taking teh CD player and rotating it 90 degrees while it is playing, so the "centrifugal" force doesent apply at all.
No, he isn't. He is wanting to mount it in such a fashion that the spindle that actually creates the force is at an angle other than that which it was designed to operate. (or at the very least, an angle other than it would be found in your average, everyday install)
and if you want to get really technical, there is no such thing as "centrifugal" force //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif .
No? Then why is there a definition for it? (courtesy of Dictionary.com)centrifugal force

n. The apparent force, equal and opposite to the centripetal force, drawing a rotating body away from the center of rotation, caused by the inertia of the body.

haha, i didnt mean to sound defensive about it like you were arging it, sorry mang. i was just adding more reasoning behind it.

but to sum it up, yes its against manufacturers suggestions, yes it will work fine, but it will have minimal (very minimal) side effects //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

No, he isn't. He is wanting to mount it in such a fashion that the spindle that actually creates the force is at an angle other than that which it was designed to operate. (or at the very least, an angle other than it would be found in your average, everyday install)No? Then why is there a definition for it? (courtesy of Dictionary.com)

centrifugal force

n. The apparent force, equal and opposite to the centripetal force, drawing a rotating body away from the center of rotation, caused by the inertia of the body.
LMAO!! you sir, are a moron. even in trying to prove me wrong by saying that there is a definition you proved YOURSELF wrong. nice way to own yourself, here, let me show you how you did it.

B]centrifugal force[/b]n. The apparent force, equal and opposite to the centripetal force, drawing a rotating body away from the center of rotation, caused by the inertia of the body.
there, i bolded it for you. it is an apparent force, meaning it appears to be there, but its not really. "centrifugal" force is a made up word phrase used to describe the effects of the centripital force. because guess what, there is no such thing as a centrifugal force. so try again, but try checking yourself and also find a more factual system. just because there is a definition for it doesent make it real, i mean i can go on the internet and find a definition for skeet, or a jelly doughnut, or any number of slang words, like "centrifugal force" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

secondly, the forces you claim are being added by being installed off camber, dont add any forces persay. think about any gyroscopicly spinning device. no matter what impossible angle it seems to be hovering at, it seems to defy gravity. that is because the centripital (remember, centripital real, centrifugal fake //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ) forces created by the spinning, and being exerted at the outer edges of the disc actually stabilize the disc and rotating assembly. these forces that are stabilizing the assembly are NOT adding any new forces to it. remember the gyroscope example i used earlier, where it seems to be defying gravity? now imagine that inside your CD player.

regaurdless of all this physics mumbo jumbo, remember, its already been established that it will be fine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

now go take a physics 101 class and you can learn about the centripital force, its covered in the first few chapters.

LMAO!! you sir, are a moron. even in trying to prove me wrong by saying that there is a definition you proved YOURSELF wrong. nice way to own yourself, here, let me show you how you did it.

there, i bolded it for you. it is an apparent force, meaning it appears to be there, but its not really. "centrifugal" force is a made up word phrase used to describe the effects of the centripital force. because guess what, there is no such thing as a centrifugal force. so try again, but try checking yourself and also find a more factual system. just because there is a definition for it doesent make it real, i mean i can go on the internet and find a definition for skeet, or a jelly doughnut, or any number of slang words, like "centrifugal force" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

secondly, the forces you claim are being added by being installed off camber, dont add any forces persay. think about any gyroscopicly spinning device. no matter what impossible angle it seems to be hovering at, it seems to defy gravity. that is because the centripital (remember, centripital real, centrifugal fake //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ) forces created by the spinning, and being exerted at the outer edges of the disc actually stabilize the disc and rotating assembly. these forces that are stabilizing the assembly are NOT adding any new forces to it. remember the gyroscope example i used earlier, where it seems to be defying gravity? now imagine that inside your CD player.

regaurdless of all this physics mumbo jumbo, remember, its already been established that it will be fine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

now go take a physics 101 class and you can learn about the centripital force, its covered in the first few chapters.

Read the definition again, smartguy.

"Apparent" or not notwithstanding the forces are described as being equal and opposite to the centripetal forces. Same thing? Not quite...

I will happily admit I am no physics major. As a matter of fact I have no formal education beyond the secondary level (as I choice to enter the workforce immediately rather than seeking a tertiary-level education) but I know what I know, fella.

And I love this bit being included to somehow add validity to your argument:

just because there is a definition for it doesent make it real, i mean i can go on the internet and find a definition for skeet, or a jelly doughnut, or any number of slang words
Regardless of whether the terminology found in common usage is slag or not does it make the *whatever* being described any less tangible? Is what most people understand skeet to be not an actual bodily discharge? Can you not go to your nearest Krispy Kreme or Dunkin' Donuts or whatever is handy in your locality and pick up a jelly doughnut or three? Are you claiming that these two things do not exist as well?!?

Whether you want to admit it or not, centrifugal force is not a REAL force. It is an APPARENT force... meaning it appears to be there, but it's not really. It was created because it's easier to understand than the centripital force, which IS a real force.

Now to help explain this, the reason why it is an apparent force is because the centripital force is a force with no result (meaning that the force is contained within). This is why the "centrifugal" force appears to be equal and opposite. In reality, it still does not exist. And FYI, a jelly donut is when you .. "skeet" in a girl's face and punch her in the nose. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

And FYI, a jelly donut is when you .. "skeet" in a girl's face and punch her in the nose. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Well, since you did technically educate me and insert into my brain knowledge I did not previously have I guess I'll say Thank You?

Somehow I do not find myself upset that I was way far from what you were talking about. But! Whatever works for you...

Centrifigal (spelled wrong im sure lol) force may not be real, but centripital force is.

When an object is spinning, like your CD for instance, a force is applied to the outside of the force which points INWARD or towards the center. Lets assume your spinning an object perpendicular to the ground. At the top of the spining object, the CD feels "blank" Gs (depending of how fast its spinnning) of force towards the ground PLUS a second downard force of 1G (gravity, also towards the ground). This totals to more than one G. At the bottom of the spinning object, the CD encounters an UPWARD force of "blank" Gs MINUS the 1G of gravity again. The forces are going in an opposite direction so we SUBTRACT. This totals to less than one G....This creates an imbalance. A small one but it still exists.

However, If the object is spun on a horizontal plane the CD feels the same force all around.

Too prowler, although its true that you feel less force spinning a wheel Horizontally or Vertically than at an angle, you feel LESS force spnning the wheel Horizontally than Verticaly......

Little physics lesson lol....So to the original poster....since most manuals suggest to not mount the CD player at an extreme angle, DONT DO IT. You never know when it may fail. Yeah this person or that may have had it for a year or two or five, but IMO I would protect my 2,3,400 dollor plus investment as much as I can. Your system is only as strong as your weakest link //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Good luck

-Serg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.