Upgrading Electrical For First Time?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ryann627

CarAudio.com Newbie
I just purchased a 2000 Chevrolet cavalier LS 4DR. I am going to be purchasing (2) Sundown X 12 2 ohms (1500 watts a piece) and (1) Crescendo Bass Clef 6000W Amp In the next coming weeks. I will be custom building my box.

I was wondering what electrical upgrades I will need to power this system since I’ve never run this much power before to a car audio system. I was thinking 370 AMP alternator (with big 3 kit), capacitor and extra battery. Any other ideas on what else I would need?

side note: Do you guys think this system is gonna slam? Haha

thanks I’m advance :)

I just purchased a 2000 Chevrolet cavalier LS 4DR. I am going to be purchasing (2) Sundown X 12 2 ohms (1500 watts a piece) and (1) Crescendo Bass Clef 6000W Amp In the next coming weeks. I will be custom building my box.

I was wondering what electrical upgrades I will need to power this system since I’ve never run this much power before to a car audio system. I was thinking 370 AMP alternator (with big 3 kit), capacitor and extra battery. Any other ideas on what else I would need?

side note: Do you guys think this system is gonna slam? Haha

thanks I’m advance :)
No cap. They're crap and pointless.
I assume you'll be running the system at 2 ohms? So about 3000-3500 watts?
If so, then yeah, if you can get 2 batteries in there equaling about 140-160 amp hours (ah), along with that 370 (assuming it's a quality brand, not some e bay junk) you should be good.

No cap. They're crap and pointless.
I assume you'll be running the system at 2 ohms? So about 3000-3500 watts?
If so, then yeah, if you can get 2 batteries in there equaling about 140-160 amp hours (ah), along with that 370 (assuming it's a quality brand, not some e bay junk) you should be good.
For the amp I was either getting MechMan or JS Alternator for around 270 AMP. Batteries unsure of at this point.

Do you think I will need the 6000 Watt amp? Or can i go with the 3000W Crescendo. I know alot of people say sundowns usually can take more wattage/load than what they're rated for.

For the amp I was either getting MechMan or JS Alternator for around 270 AMP. Batteries unsure of at this point.

Do you think I will need the 6000 Watt amp? Or can i go with the 3000W Crescendo. I know alot of people say sundowns usually can take more wattage/load than what they're rated for.
If you have dual 2 ohm subs, your final impedance options are 8 ohm, 2 ohm, or .5 ohm. So if you want to send those subs close to their rated power (if they're v2's, the v3's RMS is 2000 watts), you'd need the 6000 unless you wanted to run at .5 ohm, then the 3000 would be fine. Though, I'm not super familiar with cresendo warrantees, running the amp at .5 ohm might void the warranty.
You said in the first post you where going to run a 370 amp alternator. If you can get one that big from mechman or JS, I would go with that. In my opinion, don't skimp on the alternator. That's the heart of it all.
Like I said, 140-160 ah of AGM battery should keep you going, or you could go lithium and just use a single battery, though you can't put it under the hood

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...